Olivia's Value? (1 Viewer)

GoodTimes

Pair
Reaction score
Hello from Austin,

New here and came across several of my old small collections. Forgot how much I liked the Olivia's $1s Can anyone she light on values for $1,2,5s Might have to reach out to a ex brother in law to buy back a small set 100-150 chips if he still has them and need to know how much to offer that's fair.

Thanks
Nash

No clue on value. Olivias come up for sale so rarely (like, never) that it's virtually impossible to put an accurate current market value on them.

They are also very polarizing chips. To some collectors, their rarity and outstanding colors and spot patterns make them highly desirable and worth high prices. To others, the oversize inlays and rhc mold significantly damper their enthusiasm and lessen the value.

Tl;dr - some would pay almost any price to own a set, while others wouldn't be interested in owning them at any price.

I disagree. The market price is not the set's value to a single collector willing to pay an inflated high price, but rather the price at which he/she can later resell them.

A set's value to a single collector is not necessarily the price that the market in general is willing to pay.

For whatever it’s worth, the only Olivia’s sales searchable in the classifieds, are a couple of sample sets auctions where the chips sold for $10 apiece, and a set that had ten each of 4 demons, which sold for $200 immediately.
Neither of these area good representation of what a playable set would sell for, but I think $5 per chip is a good starting point.

An entire playable set selling at barrel prices seems overly optimistic to me, regardless of the specific chip set.

An entire playable set selling at barrel prices seems overly optimistic to me, regardless of the specific chip set.
For a grail type set?
Close to two years ago, I auctioned off a “set” of gulfports that amounted to little more than a rack of one’s and a rack of fives for $2300. There aren’t a lot of comps for Olivia’s - the gulfports are less scarce but probably revered in a similar way.
After consideration, I’d say that $5 per chip is maybe on the low end of a fair starting point.
(And no personal bias here - I hate Olivia’s)

For a grail type set?
Close to two years ago, I auctioned off a “set” of gulfports that amounted to little more than a rack of one’s and a rack of fives for $2300. There aren’t a lot of comps for Olivia’s - the gulfports are less scarce but probably revered in a similar way.
After consideration, I’d say that $5 per chip is maybe on the low end of a fair starting point.
(And no personal bias here - I hate Olivia’s)
I might agree with you if the Olivias were also leaded THC molds with shaped inlays. But they aren't, and that fact combined with oversize inlays will narrow the potential buyer pool significantly for chips at those prices.

Tl;dr - some would pay almost any price to own a set, while others wouldn't be interested in owning them at any price.
This. "Market value" is so frustrating to place. More or less I'd want to know what they cost when they were first released or what they paid for them. If they can't be honest I probably dont want to buy chips from you anyway. But instead we gotta fight about whether rare RHCs are worth a dollar or five, and someone's getting upset. These threads annoy me, not the OP, just in general, be a more well rounded chipper go research RHC chip sales, grail sets, rare sets, and learn what an average price is. Then you wont have to ask next time. Honestly make him an offer you think compensates the condition of the chips and covers what he likely paid, the rest of us aren't buying the chips you are

So, back to the OP. Offer your BIL $2 a chip (or less) and see what he says. Of he's not a collector or a player, maybe he'd just rather have the cash. Tell him the value is "subjective".

instead we gotta fight about whether rare RHCs are worth a dollar or five, and someone's getting upset. These threads annoy me
Please point out who's engaged in this 'fighting' you speak of, and specifically who is upset (besides possibly yourself, if 'annoyed' qualifies).

All I've noticed is several different opinions being presented and calmly discussed.

These were bought for him as a gift many years ago so technically I’ve bought them 2x :)
Curious as to how much they cost you the first time. I'd guess it was pretty close to the same amount.

Please point out who's engaged in this 'fighting' you speak of, and specifically who is upset (besides possibly yourself, if 'annoyed' qualifies).

All I've noticed is several different opinions being presented and calmly discussed.
Seems to be the typical outcome, I may be wrong (usually am)

Also running on 18 hours nicotine withdrawal and 3 hours of sleep, so apologies for the tone taken

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom