Oiling in the cold? (1 Viewer)

Benjaminotaur

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience oiling chips in cooler temperatures? I have been acquiring chips faster than I can count, and I want to get them prepped and ready to go so our game can hit the ground running once Omnicron cools it’s damn jets.

The problem is we live in a tiny condo with two kiddos, so no place to lay out a reasonable number of chips for 1-2 days without risking losing 90% of them to the chaos.

I have plenty of room in my garage, but I’m dealing with Wisconsin winter right now, which is less than ideal. If I have the ceiling heater on, the far reaches of the garage never dip below 40 degrees even on the worst days, and it’s significantly warmer under the heater where I would set up the work table. But I really don’t want to do anything that I’ll need to fix later.

A little pr0n of a portion of my thirsty haul
67A19224-287B-41F9-8829-CCEFC6E9C81E.jpeg

From the corner of the garage
4939F47F-A45D-4104-AFCE-8EAC6D5FC1F9.jpeg

From the edge of the table under the hot spot.
0417ACEE-744B-4DA5-9DC6-ECBFBEF36286.jpeg

TIA for the info everyone!

Everything should be fine. Clay chips would tend to warp more in heat and humidity rather than cold air. I have not had any issues with oiling chips at any time during the year and having them laying out flat to let the oil seep into the pores of the clay.

As the temperature drops, oil will become less viscous, and won’t soak as easily into the chip.

Not sure what the best temperature range is for mineral oil…

As the temperature drops, oil will become less viscous, and won’t soak as easily into the chip.

Not sure what the best temperature range is for mineral oil…
This is exactly what I was going to say. It wouldn't affect anything negatively except for the viscosity.

I usually do all my oiling in the basement in an unfinished area, and sometimes it can get to be about 55° f. I haven't noticed any major problems. I still wait the same as a time and flip them, I still wait the same amount of time after doing rolling edges and rotating them in the racks. And in general, everything seems fine regardless of the temperature of the room.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom