Oiling Experiment (1 Viewer)

Looking and feeling the chips after a week and there is no discernible “oily” residue on them vs an unoiled chip. And they still look good.

I went back to a 30:1 ratio, the 60:1 was too much oil, the oil was separating from the mixture a bit. I’m going to start oiling the rest of my chips with the 30:1, just on the edges for now.

Sidebar curiosity:

Anybody know what the coagulation component is in mineral oil (baby oil) gel versions?

And count one vote here for oiling clays not only for cosmetic reasons, but also to help prevent the chips from absorbing unwanted oils (organic, skin oils, food oils, etc.) or other nastiness.

Sidebar curiosity:

Anybody know what the coagulation component is in mineral oil (baby oil) gel versions?

And count one vote here for oiling clays not only for cosmetic reasons, but also to help prevent the chips from absorbing unwanted oils (organic, skin oils, food oils, etc.) or other nastiness.

Ingredients for Johnson and Johnson baby oil gel here:
https://www.johnsonsbaby.com/baby-products/johnsons-lavender-baby-oil-gel

mineral oil
Hydrogenated Styrene/Isoprene Copolymer
Fragrance

Ingredient glossary on website says:
1000016865.png

Last edited:
I’m relabeling these blues so just doing barrels of edges, wiping it off. Middle row is not done compared to the outside rows which are wiped off.

IMG_1855.jpeg

Yellows on right were oiled with mineral oil over a week ago and don’t even look oiled. Left stack is brand new mixture oiled (still need to wipe off and buff).

IMG_1856.jpeg

On a separate note unrelated to this experiment, I am no longer going to oil the faces, edges only. The work to payoff ratio of oiling the faces is simply not worth it, bright edges is 95% of the visual impact of oiling imo and is 10x less labour intensive. Not sure how this is with American clay chips.

Last edited:
Well, the 60:1 mixture has appeared to wear off after 3 weeks or So, my blues are still better than “bare”, but they definitely do not look as good as when I first did them. 60:1 I think has too much oil, the mix ended up separating a bit it looks like to me, so there’s a limit for how thin the beeswax can be before the mix seems to separate.

I have gone down to a 10:1 mixture which is thicker, and will test the resilience, more beeswax should enhance the ability of the oil to stay longer.

IMG_1926.jpeg

Did a row of blues on the left, will check them in a few days for “oily residue”. Although I think it will be just fine, if they are okay, I’ll do the rest.

IMG_1927.jpeg

Ya what put me on this path was the staying power of mineral oil is lacking. I don’t feel like oiling my chips every month or 5-6 months even, I want to oil them once.
I’ll grab 5 racks a barrel at a time and wipe the edges twice a year. Doing a whole barrel at a time, I can do it those 5 racks in about 20 minutes. Leave them standing upright by the barrel for a couple of days and rerack. I don’t think any oil concoction is a one and done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom