Official Rum Thread (1 Viewer)

AfterTheFact

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
We have a whiskey, beer and cigar thread so I thought I would see what rum everyone likes. I'm new to drinking rum straight and I'm having a glass of Pampero Aniversario as I type this. What is your recommendations?

I thought only Pirates drank rum strait:eek: lol

We just started collecting Caribbean rum this past year. Wife is a travel agent and she only sells the Caribbean so it fits.
Not sure what it tastes like because im not a big drinker.

I forgot about the local rum distillery near me in Sarasota - Drum Circle Distillery - they make a very good Siesta Key Spiced Rum and a great Distiller's Reserve.

Diplomatico Run Reserva neat. A little pricey for rum at around $33, but it's good stuff.

8818810748958_zpslxq4pwu0.png

mount gay for mixing. diplomatico for martini style drinks

-gc :)

The Kraken rules!!!
Put a beast in your belly!

I enjoy this limited release, locally made rum quite a bit.

"Hurricane Rum is released each year during Hurricane season. This is done in honor of the awesome storms that cause havoc from the Keys to Nantucket. It is aged in bourbon casks imparting a wonderful golden color and distinctive whiskey flavor. Hints of caramel and vanilla along with a smoky tobacco flavor make this rum very well balanced."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxciscotripleeight_hurricanerum.jpg

We're drinking a lot more rum since we moved to Florida. It just seems to fit in with the weather, as do gin & tonics.

I use Flor de Cana Oro for fruity mixed drinks. We find Pyrat XO Reserve, from Anguilla, with it's strong orange notes, to be enjoyable mixed or straight, and it's around $30 a bottle.

IMO, the best buy around is the Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 yr. at $35. The Diplomatico and Bacardi 8 yr reservas are also excellent, right around that same price. The Matusalem Gran Reserva 15 yr. is a few bucks cheaper.

When you're in Canada or the Caribbean, it's great to taste real Cuban rums.

But by a country mile, the best sipping rums we've ever tasted are the Bacardi Reserva Limitada and Gran Reserva Limitada, but they're ~$90 a bottle and upward. Stupendous, though. Plus they have bats. I like black bats, which is why I have Bacardi bar mats in our kitchen. :cool:

Picked this Jamaican up in WV last weekend, at $38. I'd never heard of it before:
rum1sm.jpg

... and this one some months ago in Panama:
rum2sm.jpg

Both awfully nice and smooth.

It's eye-opening to go to a bar or restaurant, like MK in Chicago, or Norman's in Orlando, that has a wide selection of rums, and taste them by country. Most countries' rums have a distinct characteristic flavor.

Last edited:
Coincidentally, my brother Tom just brought me back these from Cuba:

View attachment 85590 View attachment 85591

We killed the bottle of Havana Club at our Sunday evening pickleball game two weeks ago, after finishing off seven bottles of wine -- which should tell you something about the priorities of our pickleball players. Not to mention the quality of pickleball played...

IMG_0105.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG

If your mixing zombies you can't beat the original Lemon Hart Demerara rum - 151 proof. Float it on top and drink from the bottom with a straw.
Hard to find in some parts of the country.

For sipping I prefer Costa Rican Ron Centenario, any age.

Trying this tonight

Pyrat XO is still a favorite here, Even those who don't ordinarily care for rum seem to love it.

Please let us know what you thought of it.

The Pyrat Cask 1623 is extraordinary. Also $200+ a bottle. And when you go to the "factory" on Anguilla, they have a number of interesting specialty and blended rums to sample.

Don't now what's going to happen with them now, though, since they've been acquired by Patron. :(

Pyrat was great for mixing but not a fan straight. Also tried these two and and same results. So far the only two I like for sipping are Diplomatico and Pampero Aniversario.

IMG_0078.JPG

Damn! You guys drink ye some fine rum!! I may have to try some of these. There is only one drink I use for rum and it is ALWAYS Meyers Dark:

• free pour a inch and a half to 2 inches of dark rum into glass
  • add ice
  • free pour passion fruit juice leaving about 2 inches in the glass
  • free pour pineapple juice and leave enough for a splash
  • splash of OJ
Not sure if this drink has a name (I'm sure it does) but I improvised while in Hawaii and I loved it! I think it is similar to a Hurricane with less booze, so I called it a Tropical Storm.

My haul from Cuba
When we came back from Mexico earlier this year two liters of Havana Club came along for the ride. It felt kind of funny hauling Cuban rum and cigars through the Global Entry queue.

I'm not much of a liquor drinker but damn it makes some fine pina coladas. The last time I'd had it was on our honeymoon so I'd kind of forgotten the taste. Very reasonably priced in duty free. I think the 1L bottles of Anejo Reserva were like 20 bucks each.

Ice: Ron Zacapa Centenario 23
neat: Plantation XO 20yr
Mixed: Zaya Gran Reserva 12 Year or Diplomatico Resrva Exclusiva

Poker chips and Rum. And blonds.

Normally have the Diplomatico when I host, but I think I'll try the Plantation XO 20yr for this Friday's game. Does $48 sound about right for 750ml?

Update:
Plantation XO was fantastic! Not sure if I like it better than Diplomatico. So I'll be stocking both and tasting them nightly until I figure things out. Thanks johnjohn!

Last edited:
On the way home from Orlando this afternoon, we stopped at my favorite liquor store up there, and I picked up a few new rums. All but the Ron Barcelo are new to us. The Tanduay is particularly interesting, made in the Philippines. The Bohemio is from Panama, and the others are Dominican.

Rums.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom