Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (61 Viewers)

Does anyone blend their whiskys. I’m not sure if this is something people do or frown upon.

I just had 1:1 Oban 14 and Laphroiag 10. I figured the Laphroiag would add some peat to counter the sweetness of the Oban 14.

It was quite tasty and both were distinguishable.

I’ve done it quite a bit with bourbons and rye whiskey.

I recommend letting them marry in a bottle for a day or two and revisiting them. You will find some cool combinations!

If you’re into bourbon, 60% OWA, 40% WSR is one of the more popular Poor Man’s Pappy recipes

I’ve done it quite a bit with bourbons and rye whiskey.

I recommend letting them marry in a bottle for a day or two and revisiting them. You will find some cool combinations!

If you’re into bourbon, 60% OWA, 40% WSR is one of the more popular Poor Man’s Pappy recipes

I thought it was OWA and W12

I’ve been slacking on the whisk(e)y hunting ever since I got into chips in January. I’m borderline not enjoying my collection anymore. But sometimes, you pop into a liquor store you haven’t been in a while and find something spectacular.
Maybe I have to give chipping a break? Na, that’s crazy talk!
A3B6CD69-7C1B-432D-84CC-ED787D428DED.jpeg

Does anyone blend their whiskys. I’m not sure if this is something people do or frown upon.

I blend all the time -- whiskies, wines, anything that I think I might improve to suit my own taste. Yes, there are people who frown upon blending, but that makes no sense to me, particularly with Scotch, since 99.44% of all Scotches are blends, at least of different vintages.

And I figured that even the Scotch whisky industry explicitly endorses blending, since Chivas many years ago celebrated their centennial by issuing their "Century of Malts", a blend of 100 different single malts. I still have the remnants of that bottle, but I now use it for my own continuous blending of the tail-ends of bottles. And it tastes great!

Fwiw, I do the same thing with herbs and spices to ceate by own constantly-evolving home spice mixes.

Blend away, and enjoy the fact that you're tasting something that no one else will ever taste!

.... sometimes, you pop into a liquor store you haven’t been in a while and find something spectacular....

Compass Box makes some wonderful whiskies! Their Peat Monster is one of my favorites.

Another thing they do is collaborate with whisky-friendly fine restaurants all over the US to put on special dinners, with the chef's food tailored to pair with various CB whiskies, sometimes including unreleased small batch Scotches. We've been to a few at the National Press Club in DC, and they're great.

I just had 1:1 Oban 14 and Laphroiag 10. I figured the Laphroiag would add some peat to counter the sweetness of the Oban 14.

It was quite tasty and both were distinguishable.

I say go for it, I have no rules when it comes to things like cooking/mixing, I enjoy experimenting to get new flavors & concoctions. I started an infinity bottle a few months ago, where you pour your last few ounces of a bunch if whiskeys & bourbons into a blended bottle. Fun stuff.

Compass Box makes some wonderful whiskies! Their Peat Monster is one of my favorites.

Another thing they do is collaborate with whisky-friendly fine restaurants all over the US to put on special dinners, with the chef's food tailored to pair with various CB whiskies, sometimes including unreleased small batch Scotches. We've been to a few at the National Press Club in DC, and they're great.

Count me as a Compass Box fanboy as well.

They have some stunning expressions out there, specially their one-off releases. My only quibble with the company is that they have been releasing more and more expensive bottles with a good portion of that cost going towards marketing and not necessary towards better/older Malts. One can debate the price to quality ration but it's hard to argue against what's inside the bottles.

Unless you just don't care for the flavor of the Port Wood -- I've known some people who don't.

But then it's 21 years old and fairly expensive, so many people never try it.
Unless you just don't care for the flavor of the Port Wood -- I've known some people who don't.

But then it's 21 years old and fairly expensive, so many people never try it.
i think the one @RichMahogany was referring to was the 12 yr @ around $50 ($35 not long ago). However, I hear what you’re saying, there’s many different flavor profiles. What’s great to someone maybe be crap to another. I remember my father In law had a Lagauvin 16 that he hated! I love the peate Islay’s as well as Highlands.

I prefer drier tastes, so my favorite is an Irish whiskey or rye. Greenspot is my go to

Currently also have a Basel Hayden and Glenlivet (birthday gift) on hand.

I was gifted Basel Hayden Dark Rye last weekend, have yet to try it. Looking forward to it!

I hate John Hansell. Yeah, the guy who founded the Malt Advocate magazine, which then became the Whisky Advocate, and then sold it.

When he owned Malt Advocate, he used to travel around the country doing presentations to promote the mag, and he'd often come to Washington DC, and drag some exotic bottles along.

He has the most incredible collection I've ever heard of, and teases us on Twitter every night. I love Brora, so I'd kill for a taste of this one:

"Tonight’s dram. The first “Diageo Special Release”Brora single malt. Distilled in 1972 and bottled in 2002. Thirty years old. Smoke, seaweed, tar and brine. Old school stuff for sure. Cheers friends. Enjoy your evening!"

EAwyDLYWwAAGKxy

Last edited:
I hate John Hansell. Yeah, the guy who founded the Malt Advocate magazine, which then became the Whisky Advocate, and then sold it.

When he owned Malt Advocate, he used to travel around the country doing presentations to promote the mag, and he's often come to Washington DC, and drag some exotic bottles along.

He has the most incredible collection I've ever heard of, and teases us on Twitter every night. I love Brora, so I'd kill for a taste of this one:

"Tonight’s dram. The first “Diageo Special Release”Brora single malt. Distilled in 1972 and bottled in 2002. Thirty years old. Smoke, seaweed, tar and brine. Old school stuff for sure. Cheers friends. Enjoy your evening!"

EAwyDLYWwAAGKxy
I have a Port Ellen around here somewhere....

Eating and drinking well in New Orleans (yes, it is possible to not do so...).

Hard to beat the food here:
K-Pauls.jpg

Of course, it helps if you stay in a funky cool hotel with a Beard Award-winning chef and a bar that serves this exceptionally rare pear-based Calvados:

Domfrontais.jpg

... as well as Compass Box Peat Monster! (While poor Nancy had to make do with the 15 year Glen Scotia.) :

PeatMonster.jpg

David, if we don't make it in this week, you'll know why... :confused

Came across a bottle of this at a gas station today. I regret not picking up a bottle or two at only $10.99.
1565060063137.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom