Help: whisk(e)y tasting at poker night (1 Viewer)

If you want to go even cheaper, I just bought these on Amazon, to be delivered tomorrow. They're smaller at only 2.8 ounces each, but I figure that will be fine for doing side by side tastings of 3-4 different spirits at the same time. They are cheap enough to get several per person.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KYCSNN...olid=3IQF9HX5UDKZF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

View attachment 996238
Please do me a favor and let me know what you think, either here or the whiskey thread. This seems like the right solution, just not sure how I’m going to store 36 of these in between tastings….

Please do me a favor and let me know what you think, either here or the whiskey thread. This seems like the right solution, just not sure how I’m going to store 36 of these in between tastings….
Save the boxes they come in, makes life much simpler. :cool

Sorry I missed this post. glasses came in and I did review them in the whiskey thread.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/official-pcf-whisk-e-y-thread.3763/post-1973557

Box they came in is well padded and great for storage. It's less than 3.5 inches tall and 11.5 x 8.75 inches.

20221004_194908.jpg

Thanks, I saw the other post. Appreciate this snap. Definitely grabbing some.

Blargh. I keep buying nice bourbons, and our whiskey poker night keeps falling apart. Last time I had to take an unexpected work trip. This time other folks fell out. I will make this happen. Also need to find more poker folks in the neighborhood.

Blargh. I keep buying nice bourbons, and our whiskey poker night keeps falling apart. Last time I had to take an unexpected work trip. This time other folks fell out. I will make this happen. Also need to find more poker folks in the neighborhood.
Or invite Ben n Brie down... I am good at drinking quality Burbons. Lmao

But if it is "holdem only" it would be a tough sell to get the Ms's interested... she has been lost to the "dark side" of mixed games poker.

But we don't mind traveling for a poker game, especially in the winter months when there is not a lot going on.

Good Luck @warma with the game and as I said in person... we are always interested.

Ben

PS: we kinda have a "Dennis The Menace" reputation, atleast in volume... if it is more of a dads get together "quiet book club" kind of a game... we might not be the best suited for such. Example... if someone rips a giant fart in the middle of your game are 50% or more of the participants likely to laugh or be offended? Depending on your honest answer to this question you should know rather to invite or not invite us to your game. Lmao

Recently I was gifted a moonshine made of quince...
It was religious experience...
I am wery fond of single malts but that was sometthing pure, simple and so good....

I'm curious if you have had the bourbon or scotch tasting.

I've thought about doing a bourbon tasting, myself. Only a couple of my friends are really into bourbon, and some others can't get into it.

Or invite Ben n Brie down... I am good at drinking quality Burbons. Lmao

But if it is "holdem only" it would be a tough sell to get the Ms's interested... she has been lost to the "dark side" of mixed games poker.

But we don't mind traveling for a poker game, especially in the winter months when there is not a lot going on.

Good Luck @warma with the game and as I said in person... we are always interested.

Ben

PS: we kinda have a "Dennis The Menace" reputation, atleast in volume... if it is more of a dads get together "quiet book club" kind of a game... we might not be the best suited for such. Example... if someone rips a giant fart in the middle of your game are 50% or more of the participants likely to laugh or be offended? Depending on your honest answer to this question you should know rather to invite or not invite us to your game. Lmao
Hahaha. Yeah, mixed bag of folks, some more prim and proper than others…. Very low stakes game ($30), just trying to get neighborhood dads together. I suspect you two would definitely change the vibe, probably for the better in my mind, but it might scare some off. :(

I'm curious if you have had the bourbon or scotch tasting.

I've thought about doing a bourbon tasting, myself. Only a couple of my friends are really into bourbon, and some others can't get into it.
I was Scotch only for a loooong time. Then a buddy introduced me to bourbon and my eyes opened. I recently tried Irish whiskey and found that to be great as well.

I’m going to rotate, assuming I can get this off the ground. Bourbon, Irish, Scotch. The great thing, at least for me, is that buying and sampling different bottles has been really educational and helped me identify what I like and done. And if you run a tasting with some range and they still don’t like it, then they really know.

I was Scotch only for a loooong time. Then a buddy introduced me to bourbon and my eyes opened. I recently tried Irish whiskey and found that to be great as well.

I’m going to rotate, assuming I can get this off the ground. Bourbon, Irish, Scotch. The great thing, at least for me, is that buying and sampling different bottles has been really educational and helped me identify what I like and done. And if you run a tasting with some range and they still don’t like it, then they really know.
Don't forget Rye!!! I started down the bourbon rabbit hole about two months ago. Then last fRYEday I decided I wanted to make a Manhattan, so I picked up a bottle of rye. Oh boy! I was drinking it neat by the end of the night. New rabbit hole to start down!!!

Just cleaned up from my first whiskey & poker. It worked really well. I used those cheap @TX_Golf_N_Poker Amazon glasses (1 of 36 broken so far) and they worked well. I set everything up in advance so folks could taste and go between samples, it really helped with a couple.

I followed @Irish ’s advice and crafted up tasting notes and used 1/2 oz pours of four bourbons: Laws Four Grain, New Riff Single Barrel, Widow Jane 10yr, and Jefferson’s Ocean. I used three dry erase markers to make a colored circle under the glass to help keep the glasses straight and added a reference color to the tasting notes.

The tasting notes were a hit as we tried to pick out the flavors- some were more easy than others.

Universally, they liked it- having the opportunity to sample and see the difference is really cool and educational. They were interested in trying different spirits as well (vodka, tequila, rum were mentioned).

Widow Jane was a clear winner until folks tried Jefferson’s. Then it was mixed. Judging by how much they drank afterwards, I’d say those two were the clear favorites, with Jefferson’s just edging out Widow Jane’s.

One of the guests ordered BBQ, and another brought some Willets. We ate & tasted for 1/2 hour, then shifted to poker. While some folks drank beer after the tasting, they all drifted back to bourbon after an hour or so.

Towards the end, some of the cards/games caused confusion, so I need to do some homework. I should also invite @Ben8257 next time! It would totally liven things up and would help keep me honest.

Many thanks for all the great ideas and advice. Couldn’t have done it with your help!

Next up: Irish Whiskey.
E6456B8A-95C5-45B9-B72A-1804EE17F946.jpeg

Last edited:
Casually pulling things together for this evening’s 6-max limit circus games & Irish Whiskey tasting. Mixed Lebanese kebabs for dinner.

Stuck with 3 Teeling options to show how one distillery plays with Irish other than age, along with the solid standard Redbreast 12. (I also have my Stout Cask bottle on reserve.)

D3EBEEF1-37AE-40FE-B9CE-5E319A371049.jpeg

8E64A3E7-26EC-497B-9782-D2C33E17AC2E.jpeg

Calm before the fun. Not sure we had a clear winner tonight- Redbreast 12 was favored as was Blackpitts. The Stout Cask tasting was interesting- no notes given before hand, so it was interesting to hear folks explain it.

During poker, half switched to beer, half stuck with Irish. One of the gang was drinking Small Batch and Ginger Beer side by side during poker.
Next up, Scotch.

You got some good suggestions there. Willet 4 year is my absolute favorite rye so far. Might be a touch above your price range. I think I paid $67 for my bottle. Sagamore and Alberta Premium are good too, and also at the top or slightly over your range.

For a great value on everyday rye, I was going back and forth between Wild Turkey 101 and OF 100. Both in the low $20s for a 750 and mid to high $20s for a liter. After emptying a couple bottles of each, I've now settled on the OF. I think it's a little better. But since they are such a good price, it would be fun to taste both side by side, as I think any rye drinker would want one of these on hand at all times. They make a great rye old fashioned or a sazerac, and are good enough for sipping too.

The other suggestions of Knob Creek and WT Rare Breed are good ones as well. Whistle Pig is another one to consider.

Thanks. It’s nice having bottles to help focus on different elements: proofs, spice/sweet, flavors. Helps educate and make it fun.

Just finished another whiskey and poker, featuring scotch.

Samples that followed our BBQ dinner for this evening were:

The Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve
The Macallan Fine Oak 10
Aberlour Double Cask 12
Oban 14
Signatory Vintage Caol Ila 2008 (9yr, cask 310342)
IMG_5681.jpeg

While they liked the Caribbean Reserve, the Oban 14 was the clear favorite, followed by Aberlour 12. Although they did enjoy the beach bonfire taste of the SV Caol Ila as a concept. No one mentioned the Macallan.

With our one 50¢/$1 die hard out, we upped the stakes and I broke out the Cali Club cards mold 50¢ limit set for some $1/$2. It was a smaller game with 4/5 folks, but it felt different in a good way- a few more folds, more thinking, and still social.
IMG_5682.jpeg

I liked the Weekend at Barrie’s II circus tourney set list and went with that for the evening. There was some initial grumbling and requests to add Hold Em to the Dealer’s Choice options, so I allowed it, but very quickly, the gang fell in love. Might be our new core rotation.

Sadly, the big winner left early as announced in advance ($50 > $80), so the rest of us were just moving a smaller pool of chips around. Still, I came out second ($50 > $64.50), having decided to just have fun and not focus too much on strategy. Plus, my excellent guests left me a bottle of High West Double Rye and a variety 12-pack of beer.

Speaking of rye- that’s next!

Just finished another whiskey and poker, featuring scotch.

Samples that followed our BBQ dinner for this evening were:

The Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve
The Macallan Fine Oak 10
Aberlour Double Cask 12
Oban 14
Signatory Vintage Caol Ila 2008 (9yr, cask 310342)
View attachment 1123698
While they liked the Caribbean Reserve, the Oban 14 was the clear favorite, followed by Aberlour 12. Although they did enjoy the beach bonfire taste of the SV Caol Ila as a concept. No one mentioned the Macallan.

With our one 50¢/$1 die hard out, we upped the stakes and I broke out the Cali Club cards mold 50¢ limit set for some $1/$2. It was a smaller game with 4/5 folks, but it felt different in a good way- a few more folds, more thinking, and still social.
View attachment 1123695

I liked the Weekend at Barrie’s II circus tourney set list and went with that for the evening. There was some initial grumbling and requests to add Hold Em to the Dealer’s Choice options, so I allowed it, but very quickly, the gang fell in love. Might be our new core rotation.

Sadly, the big winner left early as announced in advance ($50 > $80), so the rest of us were just moving a smaller pool of chips around. Still, I came out second ($50 > $64.50), having decided to just have fun and not focus too much on strategy. Plus, my excellent guests left me a bottle of High West Double Rye and a variety 12-pack of beer.

Speaking of rye- that’s next!
My fellas fell in love with circus games too. One that they really enjoy that is missing from that list is scrotum, you may consider putting that in next time.

Any reason you went with an IB Caol Ila instead of just their normal offering?

Macallan, especially the 10, is likely going to struggle in a line up like that given everything else just has more going on profile wise.

My fellas fell in love with circus games too. One that they really enjoy that is missing from that list is scrotum, you may consider putting that in next time.

Any reason you went with an IB Caol Ila instead of just their normal offering?

Macallan, especially the 10, is likely going to struggle in a line up like that given everything else just has more going on profile wise.
We played Scrotum previously- I can’t recall how it was received. Thanks for the reminder, I’ll add Scrotum 8 in the rotation (the crew really likes split pot games).

As for the SV Caol Ila, I threw it in simply because I had it. It was gifted to me a while back and there were a few folks that like their smoke, so I made it available. Interestingly, the biggest fan of smoke/peat stuck with the Oban 14 for the rest of the night.

The Macallan… was the real disappointment in that lineup. Totally agree with your statement. I was just thinking this morning that I would have been better off not opening it and gone with the other 4. It’s ok, but I see no reason to drink it over most of the other bottles I have. But that’s the beauty of these tastings- it’s so hard to sample individually some times. sometimes we get lucky, sometimes not so much.

A few conflicts pushed this out further than I’d like, but I’m ready for this evening. Busting out the new limit set. Tonight is rye night. Front 5 are for tasting, back 2 will be available during the game.
IMG_6547.jpeg

I would stick to the scotches, then maybe finish off with a pour of the Japanese later in the night.

My order would be:

Johnnie Walker Black
Macallan 10
Macallan 12
Oban 14
Caol Ila (If peated, because the peat of the Islay will really stand out from the rest.)

Then maybe a pour of the Suntory later in the night.

Order good glassware. You can get Glencairn type glasses on Amazon. Or get good, quality clear plastic glasses. The thick kind.

Have some pretzels or crackers on hand. Maybe a charcuterie board if you want to get fancy.
++1 on the Oban. I always seem to gravitate back to it. :)

Fun evening. Redwood Empire Emerald Giant was the clear winner, with Sagamore Double Oak a close second. I got a few folks exploring the Redwood Empire line and the Lost Monarch came out tops, followed by Emerald Giant Rye and Pipe Dream Bourbon a distant third.

Someone found my Japanese whiskey- and I think we may do that next.

On the chips, they spent two seconds asking about them (where are these from, why 310, are they UCLA colors?)… again we do it for us, and I loved them.
IMG_6548.jpeg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom