Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (23 Viewers)

And yes it’s delicious!!!
4E034F76-E055-4A98-94D9-BCC2DF3CB68E.jpeg

Im very new to the whiskey game and don’t have the palate to distinguish all of the notes in a spirit like the experts do so I’m slowly learning. It’s very expensive to learn and research because everyone has different tastes and I’m beginning to find my sweet spot. I really enjoy the Balvenie line and that’s my favorite right now along with the WhistlePig 10 yr single barrel which at first tasted like grass but as it opened up it’s the most delicious drink I have (bang for buck $90) but I know that I’m sure there are better out there but I’m just not familiar with them (Buffalo trace comes to mind).

I once took a picture for IG and let a Balvenie sit out for like 30 minutes before I drank it. I had opened this bottle and probably drank about 10 drams within weeks time. But this time when I let it sit out it was the most amazing dram ever!! I was straight sippin candy, and my question (as I hear often) that whiskey gets better with time and I agree because I’m experiencing that but also makes me want to leave the bottle “uncapped” or open. I’m obviously new to this but what damage can be done if I were to do that? Sorry in advance for the noob question.. I’m also looking for the best old fashion whiskey sorry if I’m opening Pandora’s box Lol. Thank you

Im very new to the whiskey game and don’t have the palate to distinguish all of the notes in a spirit like the experts do so I’m slowly learning. It’s very expensive to learn and research because everyone has different tastes and I’m beginning to find my sweet spot. I really enjoy the Balvenie line and that’s my favorite right now along with the WhistlePig 10 yr single barrel which at first tasted like grass but as it opened up it’s the most delicious drink I have (bang for buck $90) but I know that I’m sure there are better out there but I’m just not familiar with them (Buffalo trace comes to mind).

I once took a picture for IG and let a Balvenie sit out for like 30 minutes before I drank it. I had opened this bottle and probably drank about 10 drams within weeks time. But this time when I let it sit out it was the most amazing dram ever!! I was straight sippin candy, and my question (as I hear often) that whiskey gets better with time and I agree because I’m experiencing that but also makes me want to leave the bottle “uncapped” or open. I’m obviously new to this but what damage can be done if I were to do that? Sorry in advance for the noob question.. I’m also looking for the best old fashion whiskey sorry if I’m opening Pandora’s box Lol. Thank you
If you leave the bottle open, the alcohol evaporates out and can't be replaced.

I once left a couple sips in a glass overnight and when I went to taste it the next day, it was like drinking liquid oak and it was not enjoyable. All the flavors that I like in a whisky were gone. It was a fun "experiment by error", but my guess is you are permanently changing that bottle in a way the distiller never intended by leaving it open any longer than it has to be.

The alcohol does an important job carrying aromas to the nose (which is an major component of taste) and by changing the alcohol content you are changing how those aromas get transported.

I do not recommend leaving the cork off of the bottle for much time at all. Preserve the alcohol in the bottle. But pouring a glass and letting it sit for 10min or so is what I would do. Especially for something new or a new bottle. I’ll even do it for higher proofs sometimes too, even when I’m well into the bottle.

If you leave the bottle open, the alcohol evaporates out and can't be replaced.

I once left a couple sips in a glass overnight and when I went to taste it the next day, it was like drinking liquid oak and it was not enjoyable. All the flavors that I like in a whisky were gone. It was a fun "experiment by error", but my guess is you are permanently changing that bottle in a way the distiller never intended by leaving it open any longer than it has to be.

The alcohol does an important job carrying aromas to the nose (which is an major component of taste) and by changing the alcohol content you are changing how those aromas get transported.
Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the feedback

Oh @Billy Baroo, Billy boy. Happy Fryeday.

I didn’t even read the whole “label” and my first thought when I licked the drop off of the bottle was chocolate malt! And the nose is straight cocoa puff cereal. Wow!

View attachment 1096958
Isn’t it crazy how that tastes EXACTLY like the leftover milk from a bowl of Cocoa Puffs!

I also got just a slight hint of orange…just like when grandma made you drink your juice along with your tooth rotting cereal :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Isn’t it crazy how that tastes EXACTLY like the leftover milk from a bowl of Cocoa Puffs!

I also got just a slight hint of orange…just like when grandma made you drink your juice along with your tooth rotting cereal :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
My wife said chocolate and banana on the nose, but refused to drink it. She hates banana.

Do not leave the bottle uncapped, but after you break the seal and pour the first dram the bottle will start to open up over time even when corked. When I pour I let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes before drinking.

the best old fashion whiskey I have found is old overholt 114.

Do not leave the bottle uncapped, but after you break the seal and pour the first dram the bottle will start to open up over time even when corked. When I pour I let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes before drinking.

the best old fashion whiskey I have found is old overholt 114.
Thanks, I will give the Old Overholt 114 a try. Thanks

Ok, since everyone is fresh off Fryeday-

Which 4 bottles should I buy for a rye tasting? Not looking to break the bank with these guys ($20-$60 range).

Last time I focused on how an Irish Whiskey distiller was doing different things, so I’m flexible on the theme. (The Heaven Hill video above would be a similar option- 3 takes on the same distillate.)

Probably want to include a Sagamore as they’re right up the road (Double Oak?).

Edit: updated language to clarify this is a rye tasting.

Last edited:

Which 4 bottles should I buy for a tasting? Not looking to break the bank with these guys ($20-$60 range).

Last time I focused on how an Irish Whiskey distiller was doing different things, so I’m flexible on the theme. (The Heaven Hill video above would be a similar option- 3 takes on the same distillate.)

I'm planning a Fryeday poker tasting night as well, same $$ range so I'm curious to see recommendations as well. I was thinking Bullet rye, Sagamore Rye, and maybe Stellum and Old Pepper or Old Riff.

Which 4 bottles should I buy for a tasting? Not looking to break the bank with these guys ($20-$60 range).

Assuming you are looking to do a Rye tasting, based on the reference to Sagamore. Would be interesting to do a single distiller tasting - start with the regular Sagamore Spirit Rye, then move on to the double Oaked, then the Bottled in bond, then the Cask Strength (from lowest proof to highest).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom