Help: whisk(e)y tasting at poker night (1 Viewer)

warma

Full House
Reaction score
I think I just volunteered myself to host a whisk(e)y tasting at my next poker night.

So as to not derail the Whiskey thread…

What are some good recommendations to provide an interesting tasting?

Do I focus on a particular type (e.g., explore Scotch)? Or sample the different types (including Canadian & Irish)?

I currently have the below selection of Scotches, Whisk(e)ys, and Burbons.

What should I use (if any) and what should I buy (total budget probably under $200). Reasonable budget?
C7078EC6-F0A1-408C-BDD1-B76A005E7C32.jpeg

I would stick to the scotches, then maybe finish off with a pour of the Japanese later in the night.

My order would be:

Johnnie Walker Black
Macallan 10
Macallan 12
Oban 14
Caol Ila (If peated, because the peat of the Islay will really stand out from the rest.)

Then maybe a pour of the Suntory later in the night.

Order good glassware. You can get Glencairn type glasses on Amazon. Or get good, quality clear plastic glasses. The thick kind.

Have some pretzels or crackers on hand. Maybe a charcuterie board if you want to get fancy.

I would stick to the scotches, then maybe finish off with a pour of the Japanese later in the night.

My order would be:

Johnnie Walker Black
Macallan 10
Macallan 12
Oban 14
Caol Ila (If peated, because the peat of the Islay will really stand out from the rest.)

Then maybe a pour of the Suntory later in the night.

Order good glassware. You can get Glencairn type glasses on Amazon. Or get good, quality clear plastic glasses. The thick kind.

Have some pretzels or crackers on hand. Maybe a charcuterie board if you want to get fancy.
It is peaty.

I am no Whiskey snob @warma Invite us down and I am good with "tasting" Bulleit Rye all night long! Lol

But I do typically once or twice an evening enjoy doing my "astronaut in the ocean" rendition of Masked Wolf whilst pouring a round of Jefferson's Ocean when available! Haha

Absolutely if possible add an Elijah Craig Rye (my favorite and $35 per bottle) and an EC small batch (bourbon) if you can find one. The big hit right now in our area is Eagle Rare and seems to be pretty readily available in VA if you get on those limited release lists.

I might have to make this a thing. Maybe sample within a type first and then across types once we identify what people like.

I might add a Famous Grouse rye scotch as it’s a different feel.

I took my brother out on a Scotch tasting years ago. We both enjoyed it. But shortly thereafter, my brother got smashed on a bottle of cheap Scotch and was so sick afterwards that he can’t stand Scotch to this day. :(

Most tastings I've done or attended were limited to 3 or 4 drams tops. Beyond that, you start losing track and get numb to the more subtle flavors and are likely starting to get people bombed lol. 1 oz pours too, at least to start. Then folks can come back for seconds on what they like or would like to revisit.

If possible, I like when you have all the samples in front of you at once (vs one at a time). You can still all taste each one together, but this allows you to compare between pours.

If you're playing cards too, side tables are a must. +1 on having some food, items like cheese and crackers, nothing too flavorful, just enough so you're not drinking on an empty stomach.

wtf is that?
I heard that Famous Grouse has a bit of rye in the blend, which makes it a sweet and smooth Scotch. Just thinking that it might be interesting to try as part of the mix.

I heard that Famous Grouse has a bit of rye in the blend, which makes it a sweet and smooth Scotch. Just thinking that it might be interesting to try as part of the mix.
no worries, I just thought for some reason they were putting out a rye and I was super confused.

If you don't have glassware and you aren't gonna be doing this regularly you are more than welcome to borrow a bunch of Glens from me. They aren't expensive, but a lot of them can add up.

no worries, I just thought for some reason they were putting out a rye and I was super confused.

If you don't have glassware and you aren't gonna be doing this regularly you are more than welcome to borrow a bunch of Glens from me. They aren't expensive, but a lot of them can add up.
I have a set of glasses, not Glens, I’ve acquired over the years. I think maybe 4. If this becomes a regular thing, I might add on as necessary or grab a set of Glens. These are small games- 6ish folks, not 10.

How experienced is your audience with whiskey? Either way I don't think you need to spend any money on new booze, you've got a pretty solid spread there. I'd also stick with 4 bottles. Something you can do is have people try all 4 and then whichever one is their favorite give them a second glass that's a 'different' version of that.

Noobs(try a bunch of things):
Old No. 7 - bourbon/tn whiskey
Bulleit - Rye
Black Label - Blended Scotch with light peat
Macallan 10 - Single Malt

If people like the JD have them try the Jefferson.
If people like the Bulleit throw them out of your house.
If people like the Black Label ask them what they like about it and from there you can go Suntory or Caol Ila*
If people like the Macallan 10 have them try the 12 or Oban

If someone likes none if it have them try the maple rye, maybe they just don't like whiskey?

*Caol Ila as an IB is a total wildcard but you seem to have gotten deep into that bottle so I imagine you know the flavor profile for it.

How experienced is your audience with whiskey? Either way I don't think you need to spend any money on new booze, you've got a pretty solid spread there. I'd also stick with 4 bottles. Something you can do is have people try all 4 and then whichever one is their favorite give them a second glass that's a 'different' version of that.

Bulleit - Rye

If people like the Black Label ask them what they like about it and from there you can go Suntory or Caol Ila*

If someone likes none if it have them try the maple rye, maybe they just don't like whiskey?

*Caol Ila as an IB is a total wildcard but you seem to have gotten deep into that bottle so I imagine you know the flavor profile for it.
Like a Choose Your Own Adventure book! I like it!

Like a Choose Your Own Adventure book! I like it!
yeah, i like the idea of 'this is a really normal version of this kind of whiskey, if you like it, let me show you a tuned up version of it'.

I know several people who now like scotch but the first time they ever had scotch someone poured them ardbeg or some other peat monster and they had the reaction you would think they would have and thought that was all of Scotch.

Bulleit - Rye

Interesting, and yeah… I have no idea how well versed they are. So I’ll ask…

get a mix of scotch, bourbon, and rye.

with the bourbon you could do rye and wheated bourbon.

maker mark 101
wild turkey 101

grab a couple of different flavor profile ryes
sagamore spirits
rittenhouse

and I don't really like scotch so maybe some scotch drinkers can throw in some affordable options.

This might be a good addition. Not too pricey. It’s smooth and sorta sweet (I suck at describing taste), yet still relatively complex. I don’t know much about bourbon, but this should be a decent companion as far as whisky go.

61A16DC9-371B-4019-A9CA-195662FA9CE0.jpeg

The setup would be dependent on the group but I would recommend sticking to a single type: IE Blended or Bourbon or Scotch. The mixing of different types can really mess with the taste of individual ones. If you wanted to stay scotch you could add Balvenie 12/14 ($70ish), the other Macallan 12, Dalmore or a Kavalan which really surprised people. If you want to stay bourbon and not break the bank Woodford Reserve Double Oak, Buffalo Trace (if you can find it), 4 Rose's single barrel, Angles Envy or Blantons ($80), or Henry McKenna Single Barrel Bottle in Bond. Depending on the road you choose with the list above you could easily add 2 if not 3 bottles to your collection and stay under $200

Logistics:
Begin with a starter of a small strong black coffee to cleanse the palette, such as an espresso.

Glassware, particularly if it reminds you of the friend who gave you a set of his wedding glasses (thanks again to my brother, @ChaosRock)! I’ve learned scotch is an experience best shared with friends over a good dram. Glencairn glass is good, a nice rocks glass is fine but might have a different, less concentrated nose.

For bottles, I’d begin on the lighter floral end of the spectrum, like a #1 Bruichladdie Classic. Work your way to the peaty end, like Lagavulin 8 or 16. Fill the middle with recommendations from friends. Limit to 4 bottles is my suggestion. Ask friends to help fund or bring a bottle or two to defray your cost if needed. Some other candidates:
#2 Glenmorangie 12 Sherry cask finish “Sounds like Glen m-orange-y”
#3 Bunnahabhain 12 “boon-uh-hah-Vin”, Oban 14
#4 Deanston 12, or Kilkerran 12, or Clynelish 14 “claylish”
#5 Laga 8 or 12

Have good water to experiment adding to a scotch that “opens up” with water. Some scotches “don’t open their gown until nearly drowned”. When you have cask strength scotch, water can help you find your personal sweet spot. That will change as you try more. Water also helps a bottle last longer. Start tasting neat, then experiment with water if you want to play around lowering the ABV.

Oatcakes were offered between bottles at a fancy tasting I attended. Neutral crackers should do fine. Dark chocolate, cheese, or fruit can affect tasting both positively and negatively.

Print out or buy a flavor map or two. Helps the brain make connections to the tasting/smelling notes. Example below.

Smell and think about what you are smelling. Start about a finger width underneath your nose. As you get accustomed, get in there as much as you wish.

Taste a little to acclimate, savor, can you match the taste to smell? What didn’t you smell but now taste? Does the dram have a long or short finish? Go back for more and share your experience with the group.

Most importantly, have fun!

D0C586F2-6CF8-4031-B126-03B1ADD02886.jpeg

Last edited:
Get some rotating glasses off Amazon…they spin around on their wooden coasters or the countertop…fun and cheap and I don’t reach for my expensive glasses anymore…

Big fan of Glenmorangie since Highlander movie
Also recomend Laphroaig and relatively unknown Glen Keith..
For glass I go for Libby glassware, little unorthodox but gets the job..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom