Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (31 Viewers)

I just polished off a bottle of Crown I had for mixing with Coke, so this Trader Joe's bourbon might be a good replacement on my shelf. Maybe I should try putting one of those oak sticks from the hardware store in it to give it some extra cask flavor. :tup: :LOL: :laugh:

A new guy to my game last night brought a bottle of Basil Hayden Rye to share. I was pleasantly surprised. I don't care for BH. The Rye had a pretty good flavor.

Two more data points:

"As with all TJ's products, there's a bit of smoke and mirrors about where this stuff comes from, but I did a little poking around. The label mentions Bourbon Square Distilling Co., but according to my contact at Buffalo Trace, this bourbon is distilled at the Barton 1792 Distillery, which is owned by the Sazerac Company. (Sazerac also owns Buffalo Trace.) It should probably be noted that the Barton 1792 Distillery is in Nelson County, so the bourbon isn't exactly made in Bourbon County as the Fearless Flyer claims."

"TRADER JOE’S WHISKY
  • PRICE: $14.99
WORTH THE PRICE: I’ve had much better for less.

What in God's name could possibly be MUCH better for less than 14 bucks!

I still think of this one from @pltrgyst every time I have a glass of any scotch. Thanks for sharing, Larry!

5D785567-97FD-4843-A185-C229CA6D45E5.jpeg

Is the TJ’s bottle a premium dram? Of course not it’s only $14.99! Why would people opt to buy it? 1. They don’t know much better(good for them will save $), can’t afford a better bottle, or in my case to give my wallet an occasional break. Typical price point for me is $30 to $50. I enjoy a few drinks after work to unwind. Sometimes we have company. It’s not unusual to go through several bottles a week and at the end of the month it can be expensive. I prefer to drink these neat. So yeah, that’s where a bottle of something like the TJ’s can fit the bill. Evidently some people here wonder who adds ice. I guess they’ve never heard the term bourbon rocks or bourbon water. Some people like it that way because it’s not as strong. With something like the TJ’s bottle I’ll add a bit of ice which makes it more palatable as it’s clearly not as complex or smooth as a premium spirit. Some people even add a drop to premium drama to open up the flavor. Everyone has different tastes and if you can save some money along the way that’s always a good thing! Cheers!

Happy father’s day to me! And to the rest of you fathers out there as well. Should make for a nice afternoon.

This one is the kitchen table batch. Haven’t had bookers since I was the best man in my buddy’s wedding 9 years ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Did have this with a cheese tray, though -- excellent at $55/bottle, but no Pappy influence was discernable:

They seem to have a generous selection to choose from. Any recommendations?

Yes: "Please ask to see our reserve bourbon list ." :cool

And take pictures of that reserved list for us!

Though it's hard to go wrong with some of their regulars, like the Elmer T. Lee. have fun!

Landed in paradise today. Gotta love that I can buy my favorite Scotch in Hawaii for half of what it will cost me in Memphis. The difference of being able to buy liquor in a normal store. Also got upgraded to the nicest suite in the hotel for tonight. Moving to a nicer place tomorrow. ;)

Life is good.

20190621_190549.jpg
20190621_181905.jpg
20190621_181912.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom