Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (27 Viewers)

I don't have a ton of experience with scotch. The Lag 16 was always one of my favorite pours. A $100 bucks was my limit for it. If/when it goes above and beyond that I'll have to find something else.
Bruichladdich Port Charlotte Heavily Peated 10 Year Scotch. I can't recommend it enough.

I'll add it to my notes. Thanks!
Because you know, we all collect things, I've been collecting some scotches and one thing I wanted to do was have a nice 'complete set' of all of the Islay distilleries in production. I want to have a shelf just for them and like a frame map of the island and a picture of all of the barrel houses, something nice. I have the 'core' bottle from all 8 of the active 9 distilleries that have stuff available(Ardnahoe is only a few years old and doesn't have anything yet). Of the 8, the Port Charlotte is more often than not my go to if I want an Islay for no particular reason.

It shows that it is in stock locally. I'm off work at 1 due to OT on the week already. I may have to swing by. I like the price!

Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10 Yr Peated Scotch

750ml​

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/s...-scotch/p/218532750?s=2603&igrules=true&tab=3
$64.99
Something you can do is also get the Bruichladdich Classic Laddie and compare the two. What's wild is the Classic Laddie is 'unpeated'. It'll really change your opinion of what the hell peat smells and tastes like.

At 100 the Lagavulin 16 is still more expensive than the core bottle from each of the Islay distilleries.

That is very true, although it also has 6 more years of maturation. I'd pay $20 for it over the other entry levels but more than that, it starts to be a stretch. Hard to beat Ardbeg 10 for quality/price imo... Laphroaig 10 has fallen down sharply for me but the 10 Cask Strength is still one of the best and well priced Islays around.

I was about to mention Port Charlotte 10 and you beat me to it! Yes, it is a great choice for an Islay but I'm biased since I'm a fan of all things Bruichladdich.

That is very true, although it also has 6 more years of maturation. I'd pay $20 for it over the other entry levels but more than that, it starts to be a stretch. Hard to beat Ardbeg 10 for quality/price imo... Laphroaig 10 has fallen down sharply for me but the 10 Cask Strength is still one of the best and well priced Islays around.

I was about to mention Port Charlotte 10 and you beat me to it! Yes, it is a great choice for an Islay but I'm biased since I'm a fan of all things Bruichladdich.
Yeah, when your base level, and for I think a lot of folks the only Lagavulin they see at all, is ~6 years older than everything else, you can charge a bit more with no concern on my part. The 11 is fine, I have no complaints there. The 8, I think my response was 'put it back for 8 more years' when a friend shared a dram.

I haven't found anything that Bruichladdich makes that I'm not a fan of as well. I know the Octomore reviews are all over the map, but it's pretty clear they are doing experimental things with some of the .3 and .4s and that perhaps people are trying them who are biting off more than they can chew. Not to mention those are the extreme outliers of a very niche product line.

I'd love to get tastes of all of those yearly different barley experiments that they do, but they are so low vol I don't think they make it over to the US at all.

Because you know, we all collect things, I've been collecting some scotches and one thing I wanted to do was have a nice 'complete set' of all of the Islay distilleries in production. I want to have a shelf just for them and like a frame map of the island and a picture of all of the barrel houses, something nice. I have the 'core' bottle from all 8 of the active 9 distilleries that have stuff available(Ardnahoe is only a few years old and doesn't have anything yet). Of the 8, the Port Charlotte is more often than not my go to if I want an Islay for no particular reason.

You two have forgotten way more than I will ever know about scotch. If it is actually in the store I'll grab a bottle today based on these posts :). Hell, I'll probably sample it before dinner lol.

10 Cask Strength

In my small sample size. This is probably my second favorite pour. Jake picked me up a bottle of the Laphroaig quarter cask. Its good, not great.

You two have forgotten way more than I will ever know about scotch. If it is actually in the store I'll grab a bottle today based on these posts :). Hell, I'll probably sample it before dinner lol.

In my small sample size. This is probably my second favorite pour. Jake picked me up a bottle of the Laphroaig quarter cask. Its good, not great.
Just another thing to nerd out about.

@JustDave , @detroitdad @gopherblue :

I spent the year-end holidays in Brazil, visiting family and friends I hadn't seen in quite a while.

I decided I wanted to bring a few bottles of Single Malt as gifts to some of them. After pondering for a while, my choice was... Lagavulin 16.

In many aspects, that is the quintessential Scotch Single Malt "for me". Well aged, peated, mix of ex-bourbon and ex-sherry barrels, sweet and moorish. The only issue with that bottle (for me) is that it is presented at 43%. If it was 48% or at least 46%, that would be a game ender. However, for some of those who got the bottles, 43% is plenty and more would probably be pushing a bit.

Lagavulin 16, with all its pluses and minuses is still the best ambassador for Scotch Single Malts imo, and the bottle responsible making many friends of mine fans of Malts.

Last edited:
It's funny you're saying that, Elliot as my recollection is the opposite.

I've been buying both the 16 and the 12CS for years and years. A few years ago, the 16 was around $60 and the 12 over $100 already, so almost double. Now the 16 has shot up significantly, to over $100 although some places still have it for less. The 12 latest release is available at $129. So the gap has shrunk in my perspective. Granted, I've seen the 12 for $150+ around as well...

In all honestly, Lagavulin 16, a well aged Islay, was always kind of a bargain for what it was. Only a few more bucks (back then) over Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig 10. Now it is way more expensive than those. And rumor has it it will get even more so...
Agreed that Laga 16 used to be a bargain. I used to pick it up all day long at $45-60. Oban was $32-40 then too. No more. But those two are my top all-weather single malts, along with maybe Talisker.

In NYC, the Cask Strength 12 was always more expensive than the Laga 16, but not over $100, in my recollection. Now it's north of $150. Then again, I typically bought most of my CS12 bottles since 2007 in London (humblebrag) while visiting my inlaws. The price difference was typically 10-15 pounds.

I spent the year-end holidays in Brazil, visiting family and friends I hadn't seen in quite a while.

I decided I wanted to bring a few bottles of Single Malt as gifts for some of them. After pondering for a while, my choice was... Lagavulin 16.

In many aspects, that is the quintessential Scotch Single Malt "for me". Well aged, peated, mix of ex-bourbon and ex-sherry barrels, sweet and moorish. The only issue with that bottle (for me) is that it is presented at 43%. If it was 48% or at least 46%, that would be a game ender. However, for some of those who got the bottles, 43% is plenty and more would probably be pushing a bit.

Lagavulin 16, with all its pluses and minuses is still the best ambassador for Scotch Single Malts imo, and the bottle responsible making many friends of mine fans of Malts.
Couldn’t agree more. The Lagavulin is Islay Scotch if you want to share that experience with someone. What I really like is that the 16 can be given to a novice, with some warning, and to an aficionado and they will both enjoy it. When I think about the ardbeg or laphroaigs of the world they will likely blow the novice out of the water and the aficionado will be wishing for a more mature or developed than the core offering. With the Lagavulin 16 there is something there for everyone.

If someone I don’t drink with asks me for a whisky I pull them a green spot. If someone asks me for a fancy whisky I pull them a yellow. If they ask for a scotch I’ll ask “Smokey or sweet” and if they say Smokey I’m pulling the Lagavulin 16 any day if the week.

I decided I wanted to bring a few bottles of Single Malt as gifts to some of them. After pondering for a while, my choice was... Lagavulin 16.

You convinced me to pick one up for a try.

Logan Roy approves:

Couldn’t agree more. The Lagavulin is Islay Scotch if you want to share that experience with someone. What I really like is that the 16 can be given to a novice, with some warning, and to an aficionado and they will both enjoy it. When I think about the ardbeg or laphroaigs of the world they will likely blow the novice out of the water and the aficionado will be wishing for a more mature or developed than the core offering. With the Lagavulin 16 there is something there for everyone.

If someone I don’t drink with asks me for a whisky I pull them a green spot. If someone asks me for a fancy whisky I pull them a yellow. If they ask for a scotch I’ll ask “Smokey or sweet” and if they say Smokey I’m pulling the Lagavulin 16 any day if the week.

i like islays and i was into laga...but for me ardbeg uggy blew me away. thats another one with depth and complexity.

A lot of bourbon people dont like islays because bourbon is so sweet. I think its comparable what you like to snack on...some people like sweet and some like savory. I think bourbon is sweet but scotch is more savory.

i like islays and i was into laga...but for me ardbeg uggy blew me away. thats another one with depth and complexity.

A lot of bourbon people dont like islays because bourbon is so sweet. I think its comparable what you like to snack on...some people like sweet and some like savory. I think bourbon is sweet but scotch is more savory.

My preference when it comes to bourbon is barrel proofs. Maybe that is why the peaty, islay scotches are a win for me!

Nah, I think bourbon tastes good and scotch tastes like dirt and cigarette ash. I don’t snack on dirt and ashes! :D

Giving this a run (har!)….

0AA36907-804A-4F43-864D-CA816CED3DBA.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom