Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (9 Viewers)

It's funny you're saying that, Elliot as my recollection is the opposite.

I've been buying both the 16 and the 12CS for years and years. A few years ago, the 16 was around $60 and the 12 over $100 already, so almost double. Now the 16 has shot up significantly, to over $100 although some places still have it for less. The 12 latest release is available at $129. So the gap has shrunk in my perspective. Granted, I've seen the 12 for $150+ around as well...

In all honestly, Lagavulin 16, a well aged Islay, was always kind of a bargain for what it was. Only a few more bucks (back then) over Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig 10. Now it is way more expensive than those. And rumor has it it will get even more so...
I love the 16, but I’m also a cask strength whore. My local has the 2018 12y (which was supposed to be great?) at $169 and the 2021 distillers edition at $133. I really love sherried Islays over pretty much anything else, but the low abv on the DE might kill it for me. Paulo, help!

I also found the 2021 Feis Isle 13y port finished cask strength online at about $260 shipped, sounds incredible, but unsure…

Last edited:
The Knob Creek Rye is one of my all-time favs too!
And the store picks are even better.

AFACAACD-AB9A-45EE-84E2-A29F1C2BFF4D.jpeg

I love the 16, but I’m also a cask strength whore. My local has the 2018 12y (which was supposed to be great?) at $169 and the 2021 distillers edition at $133. I really love sherried Islays over pretty much anything else, but the low abv on the DE might kill it for me. Pablo, help!

I also found the 2021 Feis Isle 13y port finished cask strength online at about $260 shipped, sounds incredible, but unsure…
Laga DEs have been very good. Proof/ABV isnt really a thing in single malts (it’s become an insane thing in bourbons for some reason). Scotch flavor comes from the peat, smoke and wood. The ABV isn’t as critical.

The 2018 12 YO CS is fantastic. Price is actually very good for that one (I last saw it in London for more than that).

I have no experience with the Feis Isle bottle (or its price), but that seems in the appropriate range for a rare bottle. Just not sure it is worth the coin compared to the 12YO.

Paulo, what say you (or your friend Pablo)? ;-)

I love the 16, but I’m also a cask strength whore. My local has the 2018 12y (which was supposed to be great?) at $169 and the 2021 distillers edition at $133. I really love sherried Islays over pretty much anything else, but the low abv on the DE might kill it for me. Pablo, help!

Have you tried Highland Park Cask Strength? Not Islay, but peated and delicious from Orkney Islands.

Also, Glenfarclas 105 is a delicious high proof sherry bomb that is not peated, but 60% ABV.

Laga DEs have been very good. Proof/ABV isnt really a thing in single malts (it’s become an insane thing in bourbons for some reason). Scotch flavor comes from the peat, smoke and wood. The ABV isn’t as critical.

The 2018 12 YO CS is fantastic. Price is actually very good for that one (I last saw it in London for more than that).

I have no experience with the Feis Isle bottle (or its price), but that seems in the appropriate range for a rare bottle. Just not sure it is worth the coin compared to the 12YO.

Thanks for the input, I may grab that 12y just because I’ve never tried it and all the feedback is good.

Pablo is clearly Paulo’s imposter autocorrected cousin who has shit taste in whisky but thinks he knows what’s up :ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the input, I may grab that 12y just because I’ve never tried it and all the feedback is good.

Pablo is clearly Paulo’s imposter autocorrected cousin who has shit taste in whisky but thinks he knows what’s up :ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
yeah, I've got the 2019, 2020, 2021. Couldn't get the 2018, but I've read it's a stand out.

Have you tried Highland Park Cask Strength? Not Islay, but peated and delicious from Orkney Islands.

Also, Glenfarclas 105 is a delicious high proof sherry bomb that is not peated, but 60% ABV.

Glenfarclas is tragically under appreciated. Haven't gotten to try the 105 yet.

I love the 16, but I’m also a cask strength whore. My local has the 2018 12y (which was supposed to be great?) at $169 and the 2021 distillers edition at $133. I really love sherried Islays over pretty much anything else, but the low abv on the DE might kill it for me. Paulo, help!

I am a cask strength whore as well, Kyle, LOL!!!

And just like you do as well, I'm a sucker for heavily peated, heavily sherried (at the same time ) Islays.

And just to be clear, although I posted the Laga 16 as the best Scotch ambassador overall (because of quality, low abv, availability, price, etc.), I'd take the 12 over it every single time, not only because of the ABV but also because of its ex-bourbon maturation only. I like Sherried Scotch but leaning more heavily sherry than just a touch, like in the 16. Of the Laga line-up, the DE is definitely the one with more Sherry casks, although it's PX, so a little sweeter than Oloroso. But yes, the low ABV sometimes is a turn off.

So here are some options:

Ardbeg Uigeadail (always a winner, although it used to be better a few years ago) is available everywhere, the new Laphroaig Sherry Casks, bottled at 48% if you like Laphroaig better than Ardbeg. It's a great dram. Laphroaig also have the Cairdeas bottles with different finishes, which are good across the board (for me), although distribution is spotty. The 10CS is great, but it is ex-bourbon only.

Kilchoman has some Sherried Single Casks that are killers, and you are in the state that they are pretty much available anywhere. Other states don't have many Kilchomans. Port Charlotte also has the wood finish series like the MC01, MRC01, OLC01, etc... They are great and bottled with high ABV. A little less peat though.

I love Octos but they don't have anything heavily sherried, only partially.

Bunna has a bottle called Moine Oloroso, from a few years back (super hard to find now) that would be right up your alley. Peated Bunnas (Moine) are fantastic, but not everywhere and usually kinda pricey.

For Sherried Cao Ilas with high abv you'd have to go with Independent bottlers, like Gordon Mcphail or Signatory Vintage. Their own Distillers Edition is great but like the Laga DE, it is bottled at 43% unfortunately.

Lastly, I'm a huge fan of Ledaig (Isle of Mull, not Islay). They have many great special release bottles here and there. The 13 finished in Port is one of my favorites, fantastic. The regular 18 is everywhere (almost) and is a cracker (46% but feels like enough)! Word of warning though: Ledaigs are kinda dirty, very intense, chewy, not for everyone. Just like Springbank, but in a totally different way. I know you're not a beginner, so I'd recommend it to you, not for everyone though.

And I hate to disagree with Elliot twice in as many days but ABV to me is as important in Scotch as it is in Bourbon, maybe even more so. Alcohol is what carries flavors and bring texture and viscosity. One can always bring it down and play with water to a perfect point. My personal opinion.

I have a bottle of a 25 year old sherried Bunna (from Wemyss, with much older casks in it), not peated, that is fantastic but, although bottled at cask strength, it is only 42% if I remember correctly, due to loss of alcohol during maturation. Sometimes what I do is to pour a bit of the Bunna 12 Cask Strength in it (keeping it still a Single Malt, by definition) just to bump up texture and grip with the high abv. Fun to play with that stuff!

Last edited:
@kmccormick100 : Just a clarification on Bunnahabhain Moines, I was referring to the limited releases with peated distillate matured in different sherry/port/etc. The distillery also has a non age statement called "Moine", which is a peated Bunna, which is alright. Low priced and decent dram. That is not what I was talking about.

That bottle came about after the immense success the limited release bottles achieved. It is good but not great, and bottled at 46% if I remember correctly. Also, just a touch of Sherry, even less than the regular Bunna 12, which is unpeated.

That below Moine Bordeaux is out of this world as well. Both bottles are from a few years back and expensive on the secondary but maybe you can find a dusty around you.

1642862685149.png

1642862736941.png

Last edited:
@kmccormick100 : Just a clarification on Bunnahabhain Moines, I was referring to the limited releases with peated distillate matured in different sherry/port/etc. The distillery also has a non age statement called "Moine", which is a peated Bunna, which is alright. Low priced and decent dram. That is not what I was talking about.

That bottle came about after the immense success the limited release bottles achieved. It is good but not great, and bottled at 46% if I remember correctly. Also, just a touch of Sherry, even less than the regular Bunna 12, which is unpeated.

That below Moine Bordeaux is out of this world as well. Both bottles are from a few years back and expensive on the secondary but maybe you can find a dusty around you.

View attachment 850365
View attachment 850366
Thanks Paulo! Lots to dig into and try there now, the hunting continues haha.

I’m super stoked, we just booked our flights for Scotland/Ireland this summer. Staying a week in the dead center of the Speyside region at a house with all of my wife’s family, not gonna make it to Islay, but will be doing copious tours and tastings!

And I hate to disagree with Elliot twice in as many days but ABV to me is as important in Scotch as it is in Bourbon, maybe even more so. Alcohol is what carries flavors and bring texture and viscosity. One can always bring it down and play with water to a perfect point. My personal opinion.
I mean…c’mon…how much more flavor does extra proof carry and how much more texture and viscosity do you really need?!? ;-)

I kid, I kid. Points taken. ;-)

View attachment 850531
What does this go for where you are at? First one in the wild I've ever seen.
Retail is like $129, I paid $165 at my local the other day because I don’t mind supporting them and that’s cheaper than the 3-5x markup on most allocated stuff right now. With regular booker’s at $100 now it doesn’t seem too bad, batch 5 has gotten fantastic reviews this year. Wouldn’t pay $200+ though

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom