Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (69 Viewers)

Cracking 2 bottles tonight. 1st up Hirsch Horizon. Hated by @joeyshin and thought to be ok by others. For sure not as good as the 6 year according to everyone.

20220115_172425.jpg

I say this is not terrible. In fact, it is not bad. Furthermore, it is pretty good. It has a nice nose of chocolate, caramel, bubblegum, and slight cinnamon. Not unpleasant on the palate, a little more of that cinnamon, baking spice, and red fruit. Finish lingers longer than expected for 92 proof. Damn, I gotta get my hands on a 6 year!!

20220115_174443.jpg

Neck pour, on the nose reminds me of Calumet or Sammy Houston with that sugar bubble gum note.

A few minutes in the glass yields apple, fig?

Not viscous, not oily...where's the oak?? Drinks younger than 10 years.

Not a lot happening here, finish lingers a bit for an 88 proofer, but I hoped for more here. Neck pour though, so we shall see I suppose.

20220115_175833.jpg

For you guys who believe in the "neck pour", if you take the unopened bottle and turn it upside down a couple times would this negate any neck pour issues? It's hard for me to believe in the neck pour.
I seem to like the neck pour more, maybe I'm just excited...

For you guys who believe in the "neck pour", if you take the unopened bottle and turn it upside down a couple times would this negate any neck pour issues? It's hard for me to believe in the neck pour.
It’s not the liquid in the neck… it’s the fact that the first pours are less oxygenated (Oxidized) overall. It seems to be, with my experience and others that there’s a sweet spot for how much the whiskey is oxidized to enhance taste etc. But with most things too much oxygen will eventually make the whiskey taste gross

I get what you are saying.
Maybe it's like wine. Maybe after it's exposed to oxygen it opens up? I think it's reasonable that it could change after being exposed.

The only Lagavulin that I have ever had is the 16. How is the 12 in comparison?
Normally much more citrus. They often trend a bit sweeter than 16 but they vary year to year.

The biggest difference is they are all cask strength. 110+ proof vs 86 for the standard stuff. Very uncommon for an Islay to be that hot.

I’ve got to purge. The stuff on the floor is either def out out or on the chopping block. Need to cut deeper.

65576954-AF1C-412E-94AC-24266E1CD240.jpeg

WTF is "Lawn Dart"?!? And what possessed you to buy it?

If you're giving Dareringer away for free, I'm your man! I've got a buddy who loves the stuff.

If you're giving Dareringer away for free, I'm your man! I've got a buddy who loves the stuff.
It was insanely cheap and part of a deal to get free shipping on some other bottles. Like “buy 5 bottles and shipping is free”.

It’s basically shitty grain alcohol with some very mild lemon soap flavor.

Need to give that Dareinger one last try but yeah, may be on the “in search of a happy belly list”. Unfortunately I think a fair bit is headed for the drain.

Still lol'ing over here at "Lawn Dart". :LOL: :laugh:
Honestly I thing a lemon and ginger cocktail could be really nice on a hot summer day, but this was just really poorly done.

Tried the dareinger again, practically made me gag. Something in the flavor… oof.

May figure out a few other bottles and make a “looking for a good home post” if folks don’t mike taking 95% of a bottle. I think I’ve got a bunch of those inflatable shipping sleeves around here somewhere.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom