Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (28 Viewers)

@Pinkdan
My 2nd to last Alberta is officially open sir! Your sample WILL be in the mix!

20220118_195437.jpg

Game got cancelled tonight bc a few players thought they got Omi. So doing a flight of Buffalo Trace single barrel picks. I'm gonna try the @joeyshin method of higher proofs to lower. Cheers!

View attachment 847194

I'll be in Santa Cruz in July most likely. If you need help taste testing a flight just let me know lol.

This is such a unique pour. I love it. My son and I are going on a road trip in early MAR. Were heading to see @Poker Zombie before going to AL. I'm hoping to stumble across a bottle or two of this somewhere along the way.
It's all over PA, if you happen to be driving through. Just check the Fine Wine & Good Spirits website for stores and availability.

I was looking to restock on some whiskey and managed to grab these after getting a 2022 Whiskey Release email today.
(after fighting with the PA spirits web site crashing with every click for 2 hours).

Seemed like solid pickups?

View attachment 848957
View attachment 848958
Killer pickups, I’ll double your money for the Stagg jr or Michters toasted haha. Or I have chips to trade…

you were able to place an order? kept crashing for me
It was a nightmare, but I was able to get two orders through.

Literally took 2 hours of refresh/resubmit at each screen.
The site must have been getting pounded. It was crashing 5 minutes after that email arrived.
Worse than a Chip Room sale...lol

Today must have been whiskey day - these showed up too. :sneaky:

20220119_125651_2.jpg

It was a nightmare, but I was able to get two orders through.

Literally took 2 hours of refresh/resubmit at each screen.
The site must have been getting pounded. It was crashing 5 minutes after that email arrived.
Worse than a Chip Room sale...lol

Today must have been whiskey day - these showed up too. :sneaky:

View attachment 849020
I've actually just stopped trying since they started the whisky Wednesday thing. It's always a shit show, just thought I'd get lucky today. I'm shocked they don't boost server resources on these days. But then again, it's a government site.

I was looking to restock on some whiskey and managed to grab these after getting a 2022 Whiskey Release email today.
(after fighting with the PA spirits web site crashing with every click for 2 hours).

Seemed like solid pickups?

View attachment 848957
View attachment 848958
I fought the website for an hour and nothing ever made it into my cart. All I wanted was one Michters. Watched it slowly go from 59 in stock down to 0...fuckin' PA!

was celebrating a birth of a friends son with him and a few others last night. We started off with a Glenfiddich Solera cask, very nice, very smooth and easy to get into. Later in the evening broke into the Lagavulin 12.

Very obviously a Lagavulin on the nose and palette. Hot, but not as much as you’d think given the 56% abv. All those Lagavulin flavors you’d expect but also a hint of something different. I’d like to compare to the 16 when I’m not sharing an evening with friends.

I liked it, I'm glad I own the bottle, but not worth the price I’m afraid at almost twice the coin as the 16.

7877F276-8D58-476A-AFB6-F6E5FC5CDD46.jpeg

Laga 12 used to be priced within a few bucks of regular Laga. Prices on that one have gotten silly.

It's funny you're saying that, Elliot as my recollection is the opposite.

I've been buying both the 16 and the 12CS for years and years. A few years ago, the 16 was around $60 and the 12 over $100 already, so almost double. Now the 16 has shot up significantly, to over $100 although some places still have it for less. The 12 latest release is available at $129. So the gap has shrunk in my perspective. Granted, I've seen the 12 for $150+ around as well...

In all honestly, Lagavulin 16, a well aged Islay, was always kind of a bargain for what it was. Only a few more bucks (back then) over Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig 10. Now it is way more expensive than those. And rumor has it it will get even more so...

Laga 12 used to be priced within a few bucks of regular Laga. Prices on that one have gotten silly.
The enroute Octomore I just picked up will be more expensive. Other than that, this is the most expensive bottle I'd have bought retail wise. I have a black art that I expect would be more expensive if it was available anywhere but I never see prices for those so I don't know.

I'm good on Lagavulins, like I have my 16, maybe a dram or two a year come out of that even though it's one of my favorites. It was my first real scotch and so I've been to visit that well a lot and don't go back often now that I've got a lot more to choose from. I've got a distiller's edition and an Offerman edition(though I'd like to get my hands on a Offerman Guiness barrel, I hope they don't go the ardbeg route and release a shit ton of bottles a year with different gimmicks), and I've never cared for the 8. I could see picking up the 12 year each year and collecting the fancy box/bottle, but the 12 isn't gonna make it into my rotation regularly I don't think. I could see it being the only Lagavulin I'd buy a year and calling it that.

I've been buying both the 16 and the 12CS for years and years. A few years ago, the 16 was around $60 and the 12 over $100 already, so almost double. Now the 16 has shot up significantly, to over $100 although some places still have it for less. The 12 latest release is available at $129. So the gap has shrunk in my perspective. Granted, I've seen the 12 for $150+ around as well...

In all honestly, Lagavulin 16, a well aged Islay, was always kind of a bargain for what it was. Only a few more bucks (back then) over Ardbeg 10 and Laphroaig 10. Now it is way more expensive than those. And rumor has it it will get even more so...

I don't have a ton of experience with scotch. The Lag 16 was always one of my favorite pours. A $100 bucks was my limit for it. If/when it goes above and beyond that I'll have to find something else.

I always wondered about the price of the 16. It's really cheap to me for what it is and it's price has always kinda been there. I think it was 90 in VA for the longest time. I think it's now $99.99. I wonder if we will see it shoot up a whole bunch. The 12 here is $170.99, so like YIKES. It was actually cheaper to import it and pay shipping fees than buy it in VA.

At 100 the Lagavulin 16 is still more expensive than the core bottle from each of the Islay distilleries.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom