Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (76 Viewers)

Well I've received another gift from my friends, this one only a tad younger.

20180616_021506.jpg

"Good things gro-o-ow, in Ontario." That tired old commercial is familiar to many of us, and is meant to convince us to support local agricultural producers and others. Just north of Toronto, in Alliston is a family of potato farmers who are proving the truth of that old ad. Last Friday Beattie's Distillers hosted their summer Open House and, while I was unable to attend, I was not so foolish as to allow myself to miss out on what was being unveiled. Tonight's review is Beattie's Farm Crafted Potato GIN. That is not a typo . . . GIN . . . from potatoes. This spirit is very viscous compared to other gins in my stock.

Nosing brings the familiar scent of juniper, as all Gins must have, but there is lemon zest in there, and lime, too. Those are the three biggest aromas on offer, but there is a fourth that one struggles to identify . . . there is almost an anise quality to it, but my nose is not sensitive enough to be certain.

The first sip brings forth the citrus notes from the nose, with lime's tangy bite the more assertive of the two. The viscosity allows this spirit to coat your tongue and, while there is no real ethanol tingle, the coating does provide a warming sensation across the palate. This is not a dry gin, but rather one that strives for smooth, easy drinking. The fourth aroma noted above does not reveal more of itself to me on the palate, but I do detect a slight spicy quality that either derives from the potato (as in the Vodka), or from one of the other botanicals being used. This is every bit as smooth as the Vodka that was it's predecessor. Which makes me wonder what it might be like chilled. So, on that note . . .

Purely for research purposes (and because I am not a huge fan of Tonic Water) I am mixing 1 shot of Gin with 1.5 oz of Carbonated water and a cube of ice. The mix brings back the lemon into balance with the lime, while allowing the juniper to provide a floral finish. This might be a little stronger than a traditional summer cocktail mix but, as stated, this was more about seeing how the spirit holds up in a cocktail. The answer is simple. Whether you like your Gin straight up, or as the base for a dockside cocktail in the summer, you would do well to find yourself some Beattie's Gin. It is, quite literally, like nothing else on the market.
BGIN.jpg

Tonight's review will be Forty Creek's Copper Pot Reserve, which we tried during our tour of the Forty Creek Distillery on Father's Day earlier this month. Like the Barrel Select reviewed very early in this journey, it is a blend of corn, rye and barley, but this is aged a little longer and bottled at 43% abv. The spirit is thick and streaky inside the glass.

The nose is creamy caramel and butterscotch, with some vanilla notes thrown in. There is also the sharpness of cherries toward the end and a faint roasted nut quality, too.

The first sip is sweet, almost bourbon-like. There is butterscotch as noted on the nose, and some pepper notes following along to warm the palate. Dark chocolate and vanilla mingle with hazelnut, like a dark chocolate version of Nutella, and just as creamy. It all ends with a medium length finish that contains some oaky dryness. It is all very polite and smooth going down. Let us see what water brings . . .

Water intensifies the caramel on the nose, and corn on the palate. That smooth corn feel gives way to brown sugar and oatmeal. The pepper spice noted earlier is more cinnamon-like now. Some very interesting shifts in flavour.

If you are looking for a very nice Canadian Whisky at a reasonable price, you will not go wrong with this bottling. It is far superior to the Barrel Select, in my opinion.

40CCP.jpg

This weekend's first review is Glynnevan Double Barrelled Canadian Rye Whisky. An interesting spirit that started it's life in Alberta and was then sent to the Distillery in Nova Scotia where it was recasked in new oak for finishing in a coastal setting. Kudos to the Distillery for being so upfront in the fact that they are currently "sourcing" whiskies while their own stock ages peacefully. This idea is becoming somewhat contentious among enthusiasts in the States, so it is nice to see a Company being so forthright. The tears are thick and oily within the glass for this 43% abv offering.

The nose brings airs of maple, caramel and vanilla, bringing to mind bourbon, which is interesting for a Canadian Whisky. There is also some ethanol and wood to be found lurking. It's all different enough from the norm to raise hopes for something special.

First tasting brings out that maple flavour from the nose. Backed up by the caramel, it brings to mind creamy fudge. That Bourbon feel returns with vanilla and oak tannins, coupled with a somewhat muted version of Rye's spicy qualities and it's musty feel. On the finish there is a salinity one would normally expect from a seaside Malt. That finish is a salty sweet mixture of medium length, that dries with oak towards the end. This is a very interesting profile, deserving of a little more study.

Water brings forward more of the Bourbon feel to this spirit, but also has a bit of a muddying effect, which is unfortunate. The one characteristic that does remain fairly distinct is that saltiness. It takes a slightly stronger place on the back-end of things, making for a pleasant surprise.

All in all this is one of the more unique offerings I have tried recently. I wish there was a little more information available, beyond this being Batch #4, but that changes nothing about the quality of what's in the glass. A Canadian whisky that feels like a bourbon, but has hints of maritime Malts. New Scotland, indeed . . . cannot wait to sample some of the spirit that is currently aging in Guysborough, NS.

GLYNN2BBL.jpg

It's Whisky Wednesday and we are heading down Hwy 401 to Windsor, the home of Hiram Walker's. This week I will be reviewing Seasoned Oak, another in Wiser's Rare Cask series. This is a 19 YO whisky that was aged for 18 years in ex-Canadian Whisky and ex-Bourbon barrels before being finished for the final year in barrels that have been "seasoned" for 48 months. A little explanation. Normally, a cooperage will season wood staves for a year before using them to make barrels. This allows time for the wood to dry naturally and for rainfall to help leach out undesirable flavours from the wood. The barrels used to finish this whisky were made with staves seasoned for 4 years before being used. If one year is good, how about four? We're about to find out, because the spirit is oily in the glass with thin streaky tears.

The nose brings floral notes and esters. There is also raisins and sweetened coconut. This is a new discovery for me, the first time I have had a whisky that I could nose coconut, though it is apparently quite a common flavour note. Finally, if you wait long enough, you will nose sawdust, like being back in shop class when the lathes are spinning.

The first taste is smoother than a 48% abv should be, bringing caramel to the forefront before a warming glow fills the mouth, typical of the Wiser's branded Ryes. This warming feel brings along herbal qualities rather then wood tannins. This herbal feel is backed up by the more traditional Rye experience of nutmeg and cloves. Vanilla's bitterness makes itself known briefly before giving way to creamy butterscotch and, finally some tannic drying in the long finish. A drawn breath catches with hints of cinnamon.

Water added to this whisky brings forward honey and caramel. The coconut that I nosed earlier is revealed with water's help. Vanilla and chocolate flavours keep things from becoming too sickly sweet and the oaky notes come sooner on the finish and last longer throughout. I have to admit that coconut is not something I enjoy, so future drams will be taken "neat" for me.

This is a very enjoyable whisky, and I think the experiment with aging the barrel staves does add something to the flavour profile. After tasting it in May during a class with Dr. Don Livermore in Toronto, I had planned on giving this bottle a pass, saving my shekels for others in the series that I thought were more noteworthy. But I am glad Karen picked it off the shelf when we toured the distillery last month. Given a second look, it has shown itself to be quite a revelation.

JPWSO.jpg

You guys in Ypsi should make a run across the border. Given the exchange rate, you could take home a bottle for around $70.00USD.

This Whisky Wednesday I just feel like sitting in my chair, and thinking about nothing but what is in my glass. the only drink for that kind of mood is Scotch, in this case Lagavulin 8YO Single Malt. An Islay Malt bottled at 48% that requires one's attention to fully enjoy what is on offer. The tears are thin and streaky in my glencairn, and the spirit is the colour of dried hay.

The nose brings expected peat smoke, even before the glass reaches your lips. Briny notes, too, like smoked bacon. A touch of seaweed/iodine, as well as leather tannins are to be found around the edges of the glass. Don't be too eager to start drinking though . . . your patience is rewarded with scents of fruit and milk chocolate, like the filled chocolates one gets from places like Laura Secord.

So, here I sit, almost 15 minutes into this review, and I still have to take a sip. Campfire smoke is the first thing you will taste, but not so dominant as to overshadow the dark chocolate and fruits noted above. Vanilla becomes evident, with candy apple and ginger flavours comingling to prevent any bitterness from offending. The smoothness with which all these flavours mingle, even at the elevated proof, is really quite wonderful. It is all laid out like a textbook lesson, allowing you to follow along at your leisure. The finish is long lasting, and redolent of the ash and smoke that started the lesson. There is also a warmth that lasts long after the spirit has disappeared. Learning has rarely been this enjoyable.

A few drops of water now, and the smoke clears. Apple peel comes to the fore, hidden until now. Briny notes remain, but now make you think about caramel apples, instead of ocean spray. The effects on taste are similarly altered. Buttery smooth mouthfeel with honey up front, and a spicier tingle on the edges of the tongue. Vanillin is a little stronger now, but the chocolate feel tempers it well. The fruits are muddled somewhat. The finish still has reasonable length, with leather stepping up as the smoke drifts off.

This points out many of the things I am coming to enjoy about Whisky, and Scotch in particular. There are a multitude of sensory experiences to be had in a single glass. Much like a piece of music, many different players come together to create an harmonious whole. One is invited to explore, or simply enjoy, as one chooses. And, in this case, both provide equal measure. I can see this becoming a staple in my bar.

LAGA8.jpg

Lagavulian is my favorite distillery, but I haven't tried their 8 year yet. Sounds delightful and worth buying a bottle to add to the collection. How would you rate it in comparison to the 16?

I actually prefer it to the 16YO. To me, it strikes a nice balance between the mellowed aging of the 16 and bolder flavours of a "young" whisky. Still on a bit of a learning curve with Scotch, though. What I am REALLY looking forward to is the Lagavulin 12 YO Cask Strength I just bought.

Interesting. I'll have to check out Binnys before I leave Chicago to see if they have a bottle. Memphis Scotch selection is abysmal and the prices are uber high.

Interesting. I'll have to check out Binnys before I leave Chicago to see if they have a bottle. Memphis Scotch selection is abysmal and the prices are uber high.

You don't want to buy booze in ON. Trust me. In the States, I am told Eagle Rare is around $30.00 USD. Up here you can double that in Cdn $$$.

My review of this Great Odin’a Raven ”special reserve”. Surprisingly not terrible. With ice. And a few minutes to rest. It's similar to a red label.

image.jpg

How did I miss this thread? I’m drinking Green Spot right now. If you like red breast, you’ll love green spot. My brother in law is from Cork and we went on a tour of the Middleton distillery last year and it was amazing. Bought a bottle of Jameson Coopers Croze which is also lovely.

Bulleit Rye is my favourite “cheap” whiskey and I always have plenty on stock.

As far as bourbons, I haven’t found anything exceptional. I enjoy Woodford Reserve and Jefferson but Knob Creek is good value.

Last edited:
If you like Green Spot, you'll probably love Yellow Spot. :cool: Worth every penny, IMO...
Not a fan actually, and for me, not worth double the price of Green. I guess I'm more a ceramic guy than paulson :)

Another favourite of mine is the Balvenie double wood 21 but it's so damn expensive that it's a rare treat.

Not a fan actually, and for me, not worth double the price of Green.

Pretty similar to the relationship between the younger and older Red Breasts, I think. I find the Yellow Spot priced at only 33% more than the Green Spot ($60 vs $80) in DC.

Another favourite of mine is the Balvenie double wood 21 but it's so damn expensive that it's a rare treat.

I've had the 12 and 17, but never seen the 21. I'm lusting after the Peated Triple Cask 14 for a try, though. By and large, you can't go wrong with any Balvenie.

What did you think of the Cask Strength RedBreast?

And DD? That Jack Daniels is pretty fine Rye for American juice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom