Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (31 Viewers)

9EE2ADAF-3788-49A8-AB3D-7D3300C31378.jpeg

Giving this a go ....

Ok - enjoyed it with a big ice cube. Great for the price ($30).

Last edited:
View attachment 174777

Giving this a go ....

Ok - enjoyed it with a big ice cube. Great for the price ($30).

Beautiful shot, Matt! Did you take it?

Yep, the Henry McKenna 10 SiB is a great bourbon for the price. Just like every SiB though, there's a good amount of variance between bottles. I've had great ones but one of them was less so. Still, hard to find a better value at around $30.

Beautiful shot, Matt! Did you take it?

Yep, the Henry McKenna 10 SiB is a great bourbon for the price. Just like every SiB though, there's a good amount of variance between bottles. I've had great ones but one of them was less so. Still, hard to find a better value at around $30.

Yes - took the photo.

Appreciate there is always a bit a gamble when purchasing the SiBs, but that is what makes it great when you open up a good one.

If it's Wednesday . . .

This Whisky Wednesday I will be reviewing a blended Scotch . . . Douglas Laing's Rock Oyster Small Batch Blended Malt Scotch Whisky. Which is a bit of long way of saying that D. Laing and Co. sourced this whisky from more than a single distillery. In fact, if the name did not give it away, they went to several "maritime" distilleries on the islands of Islay, Jura, Arran, and Orkney. One should therefore expect peat, brine, iodine and kelp, all the things that have made these islands famous around the world. The whisky is bottled at 46.8 % abv, and the tears are thin and streaky in my glencairn.

Nosing hits you right away with briny notes, damp earth (beach?) as well. The burnt rubber smell of peat smoke comes lazily wafting over this like the tide coming in, a slow and gradual building aroma. Lastly, some cereal notes (warm oatmeal).

The first sip reinforces that seaside imagery. The saltiness arrives first, but gives way to a medicinal quality that feeds into a honey sweetness that is a pleasant surprise. Just as surprising is the spiciness that replaces the sweet, a peppery tingle on the sides of the palate leading into a long, drying, oak finish. That oaky quality makes me curious, as I have not felt it as much in older, age statement Malts. It's definitely something I will have to look into. A final word about the finish. As with previous single malts, the finish includes the lingering peat smoke. With this vatted Malt there is the added flavour of salt, which makes sense as salt also has a drying effect, along with the oak tannins. Water next . . .

Less smoke, more salt on the nose. On the palate, there is cinnamon and green apples instead of honey and pepper. there is also a bitter vanilla quality to be found with a few more drops. One or more of these barrels contained bourbon in another life.

All in all, Rock Oyster is a "pearl" to be found, if I may quote the copy on the bottle tube. For someone looking to find out what lies in the maritime distilleries of Scotland, you could call this a "gateway drug", because it leaves you wanting to poke around the source material for this delicious dram.

ROCKOSB.jpg

When in Rome, or the liquor store. Picked up these bottles today. The Signatory one is a cask strength Ballechin cask strength 58.5% 10 yr. I have the 11 year old ones I bought last year and am looking forward to comparing the two. The Askaig I read a review on that sold me on this bottle. Eager to try this 55% Islay.

20180526_151642.jpg

I've yet to find an Islay that strong . . . now I have a new quarry to track down.

I found it at a Binnys for reference in Chicagoland. If you can't find it locally you could come to Windy City in July and definitely get one :LOL: :laugh:. Or if nothing else maybe one of the Canadians, like @moose that are coming could get you a bottle. Looks like you guys are only about an hour apart.

I've yet to find an Islay that strong . . . now I have a new quarry to track down.

All the Laphroaig Cairdeas annual releases and the 10 Cask Strength, Lagavulin 12, Adbeg Corry and Uigeadail and the Octomores are cask strength.

When in Rome, or the liquor store. Picked up these bottles today. The Signatory one is a cask strength Ballechin cask strength 58.5% 10 yr. I have the 11 year old ones I bought last year and am looking forward to comparing the two. The Askaig I read a review on that sold me on this bottle. Eager to try this 55% Islay.

View attachment 176745

Port Askaig 110 = Caol Ila Cask Strength NAS.

YUMMY!!!

This Whisky Wednesday finds me back in Islay for a sample of Bowmore 15 YO Darkest Single Malt. Bowmore lays claim to be the oldest of the Islay distillers, and this spirit is aged for 12 years in sherry and bourbon casks. This malt spends it's final three years in Oloroso sherry casks. It is chill filtered, and has colour added and, as a result, looks almost bourbon like in the glass. The tears are thin beads inside the bowl.

Nosing brings the expected notes of brine and smoke, though the peat is less forward than in other Islays. There is also a sharp sweetness, like cherries and chocolate. Finally, underneath it all, is the medicinal tincture that is becoming so familiar. It is a pretty complex group of aromas.

The first sip will tell you right away this is a different sort of Islay Malt. The sweetness of the sherry is evident right off the top, with raisin flavours top of the palate. The mouthfeel is thicker, again likely due to the Oloroso finish. The peat wanders across the tongue, letting you know it's there, but more as an accent to the spirit, rather than the prime characteristic. The flavour of dark chocolate comes at the beginning of a long rich finish that includes wisps of smoke, tannic sharpness, and a slight peppery tingle as the last of the dram disappears. A drawn breath cools the tongue like mint, and makes you wonder what you might have missed the first time round. So lets see what water brings us.

Creamier with water's influence, and more of the traditional Islay character comes through in the form of iodine, damp earth, and smoke. The fruitiness of the sherry influence is muted, but the spirit remains sweet nonetheless. I think care should be taken with just how much water one adds, though, as the flavours lose some distinction overall.

This is definitely not what one comes to expect from an Islay, and that is refreshing. There is enough of the traditional character of the island to satisfy a purist, but someone looking to "visit Islay" for the first time would find this a pleasant welcome.

BOW15D.jpg

So, it is Wednesday and I am going to be reviewing my first Irish Whiskey. Redbreast 12 YO Cask Strength Whiskey is bottled at 58.2% abv, which is the highest content of any spirit I've reviewed to date, except for Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It is distilled in traditional pot stills, and aged in ex-bourbon and ex-sherry casks, I'm told at a 3:1 ratio. The tears are miniscule inside my glencairn.

Nosing brings forth candy apples and brown sugar . . . raisins, too. There is a note of baking spice and vanilla, as well. The raisins and baking notes make me think of butter tarts. I like butter tarts. A lot.

The first sip is surprisingly mellow. I was expecting a lot of ethanol tingle, and there is some, but not nearly what you might expect from a high-proof spirit. Much like the earlier Rare Breed, the folks at Midleton have done an excellent job at taming this spirit. It coats your tongue with an oily feel, which I was not expecting at this strength either, and allows the heat to build slowly. The candy apple is now more like apple pie fresh from the oven . . . a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon to set it off. There is vanilla, too, along with a touch of caramel. That heat builds through to the finish which is medium in length. There is a smooth caramel warmth, and shortbread too. The esters left behind take your breath away if you rush things. This is a big and bold bit of whiskey, and it will not be rushed, it seems. Lets see if water changes things.

Water turns this spirit buttery smooth, accenting more of the vanilla notes and sharpness of green apples. There is also an almost menthol quality to it now. Very intriguing.
As I said, this is a whiskey that sets up shop in your mouth and defies your expectations. It does not overpower you, but neither will it be taken for granted. It is quite remarkable, really.

RB12YOCS.jpg

I was more than a little excited to see a shelf full of Blanton’s!!! I would have bought more but I ran out of money lol!!

I thought $500 would be more than enough.
Only one Rye on there? I guess I am the only one who prefers it...

View attachment 181082

Has anyone tried it - I'm not much of a whiskey connoisseur.

I have not as I don't have any Aldi close to me. Are those bottles available in the US also? I might be wrong but I think they are only available in the UK.

I'm curious which distillery makes the the Aldi Islay Single Malt... There's only 8 distilleries in Islay and many don't sell for third party. My guess, and it's only a guess, Aldi's bottle is from the Caol Ila distillery, a young Caol Ila...

I have not as I don't have any Aldi close to me. Are those bottles available in the US also? I might be wrong but I think they are only available in the UK.

I'm curious which distillery makes the the Aldi Islay Single Malt... There's only 8 distilleries in Islay and many don't sell for third party. My guess, and it's only a guess, Aldi's bottle is from the Caol Ila distillery, a young Caol Ila...

I have an Aldi near my work - I will check if they have it.

So, tonight I am going to be reviewing Sid's Handcrafted Vodka from Goodridge and Williams Distillers in B.C. It is bottled at 40% abv after distillation in a traditional copper pot still and rectification through a 38 plate column still. It is nice to see a producer being so clear on the details of the methods on the label. Remember that the next time you see a Vodka on the shelf touting how many times it has been "distilled".

The ingredients are "B.C. wheat and Malt" according to that label, so this should be an interesting change from my usual potato Vodka.

There is a light citrus note above the glass, as well as a hint of menthol. The spirit is very viscous inside the glass, as well.

The first sip is creamy smooth, with little to none of the ethanol that one usually finds in low end Vodkas. Instead that citrus note refines to a lemon zest taste on the palate, backed up by Wint-o-green Certs coating the tongue. By that, I mean a cooling sweet aftertaste that has to come from the wheat. It almost overshadows the cereal feel towards the finish as you swallow it.

I am looking forward to what this might taste like when it has been chilled in the freezer, but that is for another time. All in all, it is a very nice tasting spirit, and I think "thickening it up" in the freezer might only improve on that.

SIDS.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom