Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (88 Viewers)

Is this stuff any good?

30726019_10155198643615957_7251515282645149381_n.jpg

Yes! It's a great wheated bourbon. Heavily allocated. List price is about $30 but goes for $120 on the secondary market. It's not worth $120 IMO but definitely worth more than $30.

Looks like it's made at the Buffalo Trace distillery. Sounds like it's pretty good... https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/a27820/pappy-van-winkle-idiots-guide/

Yes! It's a great wheated bourbon. Heavily allocated. List price is about $30 but goes for $120 on the secondary market. It's not worth $120 IMO but definitely worth more than $30.

Thanks guys! I'll have to see if they have any left when I pick up my kegs for this weekend. (y) :thumbsup:

It is Whisky Wednesday, and tonight's review will be Masterson's 10 Year Old Straight Rye Whisky. Masterson's is an interesting case, as it is distilled and aged in Canada by Alberta Distillers, but is bottled in California by it's owners 3-Badge Beverage Co. So, it's a Canadian Whisky owned and sold by Americans, and using the American appellation "Straight" in the name. It is bottled at 45% abv, and the tears are extremely thin inside the bowl.

Nosing brings Cereal notes, some of you might know of Red River Cereal, which is what this reminds me of. There is a grainy floral aroma, and an undercurrent of leather . . . kind of like walking through a tannery.

The first sip brings forth a cinnamon heat and sweetness that envelopes the palate. Full bodied Rye, but mellowed with age to allow some caramel notes to sweeten things up as the pepper spice suffuses with the cereal notes mentioned on the nose. Baking spices are present too. And oakiness leads towards a drying finish that I wish was a little longer, if only to preserve the cool minty feel that comes when drawing a breath across the tongue. Going to try a little water now.

Much sweeter warmth with a little water in the mix. Less cinnamon, more caramel corn type of feel. The cereal qualities are enhanced as well, like an oatmeal breakfast in winter. If one could speak of a "comfort spirit" the way we speak of comfort foods, this what Masterson's puts me in mind of. 100% Rye Whiskies can sometimes overpower with the strength of the grain, but that does not happen here. There is boldness to be sure, but not enough to make you put down the glass. It is a nice balance that has been achieved.

M10.jpg

Got some Laphroaig 15s today!! Yay!! I was a big fan of the old 15 and the re-released 200th anniv. was almost as good (albeit very different) but I never had the chance to taste both at the same time. I'll have that chance now, and what's even better, I'll be able to taste the Cairdeas 15 with the other two also! Phroaig 15 bonanza!!

* @Bloody Marvelous : One of those bottles brought me some Dutch air! LOL!!! Thank man.

Laphroaig15s.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

Last edited:
Love that picture. Big Laphroaig fan, never had the 15 though. I have a bottle of the 12/18 year sitting around and is one of the drams that I think the price difference is worth the premium. Do you have the other two around to compare?

Love that picture. Big Laphroaig fan, never had the 15 though. I have a bottle of the 12/18 year sitting around and is one of the drams that I think the price difference is worth the premium. Do you have the other two around to compare?

I love Laphroaig's whole line-up Bill! I have bottles of all their core range (10, 10CS, QC, Lore and TW), some Cairdeas special releases (2014-2018) and some travel retail exclusives (PX and Cuan Mor). Love them all and it would be hard to pick a favorite, but the old 15 is probably the one. I had a bottle of the 18 a few years ago(which was very good) but it's long gone. It's been discontinued for a few years unfortunately. It is funny you're asking me about the 18 since I DID purchase a bottle of the 18 circa 2011, a couple of weeks ago. It never arrived. It's a story I rather tell in person though. But yeah, I'm still procuring a bottle of the 18.

The Missus loves the bottle of Quarter Cask I bought her.

Love the QC man! Some people say it has more oak than it should, but not me. I really, really like it. Missus is a lucky woman! (y) :thumbsup: Has she tried the Triple Wood? It's pretty much the QC but finished in Sherry casks. Lovely dram also! A touch sweeter and a tiny bit less peaty and oaky than the QC but oh so good!

The issue with the TW sometimes it's price. In some stores, it's priced like the QC, in some others, it's almost double. People have been saying for a couple of years it will be discontinued but it seems there's stock out there. Not sure how the price of the TW is in Canada. I know overall prices for Scotch there are hard to swallow.

Last edited:
I will have to look out for it. But, from what I am told, the better single Malts are not really that overpriced for us in Ontario. But I am just starting down that path, still preferring bourbons and, of course, Canadian Whiskies.

Got some Laphroaig 15s today!! Yay!! I was a big fan of the old 15 and the re-released 200th anniv. was almost as good (albeit very different) but I never had the chance to taste both at the same time. I'll have that chance now, and what's even better, I'll be able to taste the Cairdeas 15 with the other two also! Phroaig 15 bonanza!!

* @Bloody Marvelous : One of those bottles brought me some Dutch air! LOL!!! Thank man.

View attachment 168379

View attachment 168380

OMG that looks tasty...
I miss them already :(

Bought the Triple Wood . . . for ME. Second Scotch that I find myself enamored of, along with the Jura Prophecy. And, at just a hair under $90.00 . . . I can live with the price for an occasional sipper. you were right about it being less peaty.

Bought the Triple Wood . . . for ME. Second Scotch that I find myself enamored of, along with the Jura Prophecy. And, at just a hair under $90.00 . . . I can live with the price for an occasional sipper. you were right about it being less peaty.

Ha!!! Good for you man. Not a bad price to boot! Looking forward to the review. I really like the TW but it's no surprise since I like all of the Laphroaig expressions, with the exception of the Select.

Wifey wanted the Select. I insisted. Glad I did. Review coming tomorrow. Might also do one for some Sweet Potato Vodka.

Here we go . . . the latest review.

Another Whisky Wednesday means another review. Tonight I will be reviewing Laphroaig Triple Wood, a Single Malt Scotch from the Islay region. It is aged in Bourbon barrels first, followed by time in Quarter casks, until it is finally transferred to Sherry butts for finishing. It is bottled at 48% abv, and leaves long thin tears inside the bowl of the glass.

Nosing brings forth salinity and peat smoke (it is Laphroaig, after all), as well as a thick syrup-like sweetness. There is a slight hint of wood and, through the smoke, some baking fruit (raisins or currants, I would say). It is a very nice mix that does not let the peat smoke carry the load.

First taste and the sherry makes an appearance. Sweet without being overpowering, and smoky, with just a hint of vanilla bitterness (hello Bourbon). The fruity aromas develop into raisins, and there are savoury spices to add a tingle to the palate on the way to a dry smoky finish. The finish seems rather on the brief side. A drawn breath brings briny reminders of the sea, and somewhat of a chocolate aftertaste. Very much entices one to try more. So I think I will do just that, before adding some water.

What a change a few drops can make. The briny qualities inhabit the nose, with the peat smoldering in the background. The sweetness is now buttery caramel toffee scent. There is a more medicinal quality in the mouth, tempered by that toffee. The smokiness of the peat is a little more acrid, overpowering the fruits noted earlier. Unfortunately, water shortens the finish further, but the chocolate and salt flavours do not disappear altogether.

This is an interesting Malt, in that I prefer the nose it has with water, but the flavour palate that comes neat. It is definitely a slow evening sipper, not to be rushed, but savoured.

LaphTW.jpg

Here we go . . . the latest review.

Another Whisky Wednesday means another review. Tonight I will be reviewing Laphroaig Triple Wood, a Single Malt Scotch from the Islay region. It is aged in Bourbon barrels first, followed by time in Quarter casks, until it is finally transferred to Sherry butts for finishing. It is bottled at 48% abv, and leaves long thin tears inside the bowl of the glass.

Nosing brings forth salinity and peat smoke (it is Laphroaig, after all), as well as a thick syrup-like sweetness. There is a slight hint of wood and, through the smoke, some baking fruit (raisins or currants, I would say). It is a very nice mix that does not let the peat smoke carry the load.

First taste and the sherry makes an appearance. Sweet without being overpowering, and smoky, with just a hint of vanilla bitterness (hello Bourbon). The fruity aromas develop into raisins, and there are savoury spices to add a tingle to the palate on the way to a dry smoky finish. The finish seems rather on the brief side. A drawn breath brings briny reminders of the sea, and somewhat of a chocolate aftertaste. Very much entices one to try more. So I think I will do just that, before adding some water.

What a change a few drops can make. The briny qualities inhabit the nose, with the peat smoldering in the background. The sweetness is now buttery caramel toffee scent. There is a more medicinal quality in the mouth, tempered by that toffee. The smokiness of the peat is a little more acrid, overpowering the fruits noted earlier. Unfortunately, water shortens the finish further, but the chocolate and salt flavours do not disappear altogether.

This is an interesting Malt, in that I prefer the nose it has with water, but the flavour palate that comes neat. It is definitely a slow evening sipper, not to be rushed, but savoured.

View attachment 169845

Thank you, Milo! Great review!

So the Auchentoshan Three Wood as an aperitif, and the Laphroaig Triple Wood as a digestif. Works for me! :cool:

This Whisky Wednesday sees the mercury rising to summer-like temperatures. Hot and humid like the Deep South, so bourbon is a decent choice for a review. In this case it is Old Forester Straight Bourbon Whisky. Old Forester is the first brand of bourbon to be packaged in glass bottles, back in the 1870s. This is the company's entry level Bourbon. Small tears bead inside the bowl with minimal streaking. The liquid is thick and viscous.

Nosing brings the anticipated aromas of vanilla and caramel. There is also a cinnamon sweetness to be found and slight floral air that hints at the Rye contained within.
First tasting brings that typical bourbon profile forward. There is sweet caramel toffee in abundance, with the vanilla riding shotgun across the palate. The cinnamon on the nose brings heat in the mouth, along with Rye spices that tingle on the tongue. There is an ever so slight hint of oak near the finish, which is warming, pleasant, and of medium length. There is nice burnt sugar tinge to it towards the end.

Water smooths and softens some of the spicier flavours, and tempers the heat, as well. You will still notice vanilla, and sweet caramel on the palate, but the floral notes more typical of Rye whisky are given a bigger light to shine when this bourbon is diluted just a little. And the oaky feel is enhanced as well.

There is nothing overly dramatic here, which is not a criticism. As an entry to the world of bourbon, Old Forester is a genial guide, offering two differing flavour profiles for the customer to experience in the glass. It is up to you which suits your palate more.
OLDF.jpg

This Whisky Wednesday I am going to review Larceny Straight Bourbon, from the Heaven Hill Distillery, in Bardstown, KY. Larceny is a wheated bourbon, but the Distillers are not telling us what is in the mashbill. All we do know is that batches of this bottling are limited to 100 barrels (or less), aged 6-12 years, and taken from storage in the upper tiers of the rickhouse. The tears are thick an oily in the glass.

Nosing brings an air of sweet corn and dark toast. The English among my readers will understand "malt loaf". There is also some dark fruit aroma to be found after a time sitting in the glass, which I find interesting. There is virtually no ethanol tingle on the nose whatsoever.

The first flavour notes are caramel and vanilla, as one might expect, but there is a sharpness of cherries to be found as well. It is very different for me to note this so strongly and quickly on the palate. Usually fruit flavours are harder for me to suss out. These three are followed by some mild spiciness, and a leathery oak dryness that leads into a long slow finish. That finish is characterized by the lingering air of the cherries mentioned off the top. It's rather extraordinary to me. I literally have no idea what water is going to do.

Wow. Sharp cherries fade, as do the spices, and a buttery sweet caramel becomes the primary flavour. Thick and rich, what spices remain add a warming glow to the chest, and only at the finish do you find the sharpness of vanilla and those cherries. You might also find tobacco. At least, that is the only thing I can compare it to. It is a small but definite change to the profile, and it's one I think I might prefer, as much as I love cherry pies.

LARCENY.jpg

This Whisky Wednesday I am going to review Larceny Straight Bourbon, from the Heaven Hill Distillery, in Bardstown, KY. Larceny is a wheated bourbon, but the Distillers are not telling us what is in the mashbill. All we do know is that batches of this bottling are limited to 100 barrels (or less), aged 6-12 years, and taken from storage in the upper tiers of the rickhouse. The tears are thick an oily in the glass.

Nosing brings an air of sweet corn and dark toast. The English among my readers will understand "malt loaf". There is also some dark fruit aroma to be found after a time sitting in the glass, which I find interesting. There is virtually no ethanol tingle on the nose whatsoever.

The first flavour notes are caramel and vanilla, as one might expect, but there is a sharpness of cherries to be found as well. It is very different for me to note this so strongly and quickly on the palate. Usually fruit flavours are harder for me to suss out. These three are followed by some mild spiciness, and a leathery oak dryness that leads into a long slow finish. That finish is characterized by the lingering air of the cherries mentioned off the top. It's rather extraordinary to me. I literally have no idea what water is going to do.

Wow. Sharp cherries fade, as do the spices, and a buttery sweet caramel becomes the primary flavour. Thick and rich, what spices remain add a warming glow to the chest, and only at the finish do you find the sharpness of vanilla and those cherries. You might also find tobacco. At least, that is the only thing I can compare it to. It is a small but definite change to the profile, and it's one I think I might prefer, as much as I love cherry pies.

View attachment 172964

Great review Milo! Thank you. Even with all this crazy Bourbon boom we can still find good values out there for good stuff. (y) :thumbsup:

Last edited:

View attachment 172964

I adore this stuff. Excellent value bourbon.

Nice write up too!

Thanks guys . . . for the record, NOTHING is a good value here in Ontario. Except a few of our finest Canadian Whiskies. For those of you close to the Canadian border, I HIGHLY recommend a trip over come the fall (I'll tip you off) for the Northern Border Collection releases.

Whisky Wednesday and I am in the mood to encourage my Scotch palate. Tonight's sample is Ledaig 10, Tobermory Distillery's only peated expression of Scotch. Tobermory is located on the Isle of Mull, which sits just to the north of Islay. Tobermory ages it's malts on the mainland, however, not the island. The spirit is bottled at 46.3% abv and is not chill-filtered.

Nosing brings wood-smoke and brine, reminiscent of cooking bacon. Looks weird to see that on the page, but there you go. There is a sharpness, too, like tobacco leaves. This is not as distinctly peaty as the Islay Malts I have sampled, but it is pleasant.

The initial taste is sweet, but immediately surpassed by a licorice quality on the tongue. Again, I find myself coming back to the Dutch "dropje" (salty/sweet licorice) as a description. The smokiness on the nose is more coals on the palate. There is a creamy quality to all of this flavour and, finally, some toffee and vanilla notes that have to come from the bourbon barrels this malt rested in for a decade. That creamy sweetness gives way to some cloves and nutmeg as the smoky character reasserts itself towards a very long finish. That finish is finally where the peat resolves itself, and the briny quality of seaweed and medicinal notes come across your tongue. I finished my initial taste about three sentences ago, which gives you an idea about what I mean by a very long finish. Now, based on pre-review sampling, comes the fun part. Adding water . . .

I say "fun part" because, when I first tried this the other night, I was struck by how markedly different the character of this Malt was with the simple addition of just a little water to the glass. On the nose, the more medicinal notes come to the forefront, while the smokiness is suffused into the background. Much more of a single note air about the spirit, but I do note that the briny qualities remain, with some baking spice, as well.

The taste is now buttery caramel, followed by vanilla. The smoke and seaweed brininess are now wisps in the mouth as you draw breath. They're there, but more subtle now, an accent rather than centre stage. The finish, sadly, is not as long or complex, running from a nutty caramel through sea salt and peat smoke in what remains a very pleasant progression. Through it all, neat or with water, there is little ethanol tingle to speak of. This is a dram to sit with for an evening and explore the chameleon-like changes you can find within a single glass.

LDAIG10.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom