Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (40 Viewers)

Having the same tonight, awaiting the snow.

View attachment 142974

we're getting hit right now. Earlier in the day. only supposed to get 6 inches
20171224_181527_1514157328635.jpeg

Christmas Eve. First of the two most boring days of the year.

The cure? Macallan 30 year, in Waterford Lismore. Our wedding Scotch, from 2002. There is none better, on either count.

Mac30.jpg

Temperature dropping -- 75 degrees already. Brrr!

Happy holidays, everyone!

Holidays.jpg

Went to this place last night. Multnomah Whiskey Library. Pretty incredible. Had a bourbon, a scotch and an Irish. Pretty fun to try some new stuff. Haven’t even scratched the surface but I’ll definitely go back. If you come to Portland a must stop.
759B39D5-DAD7-45E4-9503-4FC75A85A5DF.jpeg

Hope they have a printed list, with prices! Not every place does... :(
They do have a printed list with all bottles in there with prices. Looks like an encyclopedia. Very cool set up. All were grouped by distiller, region and type so if there is something you like you can try something similar or completely different.

I don't know anything about scotch, really. But I did visit the Nikka distillery on a trip to Japan last summer, and did bring home a 12 year blended. Haven't popped it open yet as had no-one to serve it to. Perhaps will sell some during my charity fundraiser next month.

LOT 40 Cask Strength last night. Notes here . . . https://t.co/yHRbMaEVvd

Thanks for the review @Milo013 ! Fantastic!

Lot40 is definitely up there on my favorite regular Canadian offerings list... I wish I could get my hands on the CS strength though, only the regular bottling is available around here unfortunately...

Again, great review! Following IN The Spirits now... Looking forward to more reviews...

Every week. Don't feel too bad . . . the regular Lot 40 is PLENTY good. You could always take a road trip to Windsor and the Hiram Walker distillery. If it was going to be anywhere, now, it would be there. I feel the same way about a lot of the Bourbons I read about. Bad enough the government controls what's available in their stores, but we aren't even allowed to order on line and import for ourselves.

Last edited:
Last night was a solid drinking night. I started with an Elijah Craig, continued with something amazing that @ChaosRock brought, and finished with a Lagavulin 16.

Made it a little easier dropping a buy last night :)

Thanks for sharing bud!!!

Last night was a solid drinking night. I started with an Elijah Craig, continued with something amazing that @ChaosRock brought, and finished with a Lagavulin 16.

Made it a little easier dropping a buy last night :)

Thanks for sharing bud!!!

You too man!

Just for reference, below is what we had last night... It was discontinued 3 years ago and my last bottle is down to only a couple of drams... In my opinion, it was the best Dronach around (official bottling)... For me, even better than the 18 and the 21... The distillery is planning on bringing it back once their barrel inventory recovers, I just hope they don't bump up the price too much once it's back in the market...

GD15.jpg

I'll have to look for the Cask Strength. I just tried Lot 40 last week along with Crown Northern Harvest Rye and High West Rendezvous Rye. It was very good but I was really impressed with the Crown at only $21 for 750ml

The Northern Harvest has been a very polarizing expression. Some love it and some hate it. And rumor has it since it won whisky of the year, Crown has just bottled every drop of juice they had into that expression. To my palate, it's okay.

Rendezvous > Lot 40 > Northern Harvest for me. But I like almost everything High West puts out.

I've not yet had the pleasure of a High West dram . . . but I hear good things about almost all their bottlings. As to the Northern Harvest, it was a somewhat controversial selection as whisky of the year a couple of years ago, with many thinking that Jim Murray was looking as much to make a splash as he was in naming a quality spirit. I have tried it, and found it rather pedestrian, in terms of a 100% Rye. There are MUCH better Ryes available, and for much less $$$.

I've just started trying different Ryes. I went to a Wine tasting in November and they had a Whistle Pig tasting and ever since I've been looking for Ryes to try.

Have not tried anything from WhistlePig. Would love to though. Availability in our LCBO stores is spotty at best, and Ontarians are not legally allowed to import unless we go through said LCBO, which is bloody pricy. Would not object to a sample of their spirits, though. They are supposed to be pretty good, if somewhat overpriced for certain offerings (so I've read).

I picked up a bottle of Hillrock Bourbon and Basil Hayden rye for a friend's birthday. Hopefully tasting both tonight.

I took this bottle along on our cruise last week. It's not a whiskey, but without a doubt the very best Calvados we have *ever* tasted, and we've tasted a lot, both here and in France, commercial and private stock. Incredibly rich and full-bodied -- which is why we only killed half of it.

CalvadosMorin15a.jpg

Thanks to @pltrgyst extreme generosity, I had the opportunity to try my first Port Ellen and my first Rosebank at the SQM. Port Ellen hasn’t produced a drop in decades and Rosebank is not more.

I certainly did not make justice to those lovely drams as I couldn’t give them the attention they deserved amid all the pot/repots going on. They were lovely nonetheless.

Thank you Larry!

B13E4E0E-453A-499B-827B-76F8269F72EC.jpeg
F3050DA2-2098-419E-B333-0AF261EC08E8.jpeg

Damn it! Now you are making me regret missing SQM even more. Had a shit day and just when I thought it couldn't get worse I hear Port Ellen was involved. Oy vey.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom