Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (72 Viewers)

Latest acquisition.

IMG_1560.JPG

So I'm heading to Whiskeyfest in NYC later this week. Here's the whiskey list, any recommendations to taste while I'm there? I typically prefer boubons & darker scotches (woodford reserve, bookers, balvenie) to the smoky/peaty scotches like laphroaig.

http://www.whiskyfest.com/new-york/whisky-list/

So I'm heading to Whiskeyfest in NYC later this week. Here's the whiskey list, any recommendations to taste while I'm there? I typically prefer boubons & darker scotches (woodford reserve, bookers, balvenie) to the smoky/peaty scotches like laphroaig.

http://www.whiskyfest.com/new-york/whisky-list/

I'd love to hear review on these two. The standard Elijah Craig is one of my favorite Bourbons

18 yr. Single Barrel
23 yr. Single Barrel

Some goodies sampled so far at whiskeyfest

20171116_183710.jpg
20171116_194327.jpg
20171116_185001.jpg

Hanging in line to taste old pappy 20

20171116_200754.jpg

26-Year-Old-Single-Malt-Whisky-A.jpg

We have a budget supermarket in the UK that puts out some interesting stuff in the run up to Xmas.

Just tried their 26 yr old Irish single malt whiskey.

Also got my eye on their 39 yr old armagnac. Last year's 41 yr old armagnac was great.

I'd love to hear review on these two. The standard Elijah Craig is one of my favorite Bourbons

18 yr. Single Barrel
23 yr. Single Barrel

We finished off the evening with a stop by Heaven Hills to give these a try, did all 4. Our favorites were the small batch barrel proof (130 proof!!!) - strong but very tasty - think small batch on steroids, and the 18 year single barrel, wonderful full flavor yet still smooth and way easy to drink, one of the best ones of the evening. I preferred the 18 yr to the 23 yr, I found the 23 a little too grainy with strong boozy aftertaste, the 18 was damn near perfect.

20171116_203546.jpg

We finished off the evening with a stop by Heaven Hills to give these a try, did all 4. Our favorites were the small batch barrel proof (130 proof!!!) - strong but very tasty - think small batch on steroids, and the 18 year single barrel, wonderful full flavor yet still smooth and way easy to drink, one of the best ones of the evening. I preferred the 18 yr to the 23 yr, I found the 23 a little too grainy with strong boozy aftertaste, the 18 was damn near perfect.

View attachment 134583

Thanks. now I want to tru them even more!!!

Thanks -- so 12/13 years. Right in the sweet zone!

Of all whiskies currently in production year around, Caol Ila is the one I most often order, if it's available. Enjoy it!

26-Year-Old-Single-Malt-Whisky-A.jpg

We have a budget supermarket in the UK that puts out some interesting stuff in the run up to Xmas.

Just tried their 26 yr old Irish single malt whiskey.

Also got my eye on their 39 yr old armagnac. Last year's 41 yr old armagnac was great.

Which shop is that? I know Aldi have a couple of very cheap but very nice award-winning whiskies (Highland Black @ about £13 is good but there are others)

Thanks -- so 12/13 years. Right in the sweet zone!

Of all whiskies currently in production year around, Caol Ila is the one I most often order, if it's available. Enjoy it!

Caol Ila is one of my favorites as well, but its not always one I think of as my favorite, if that makes sense. This one was superb, as it was aged in a sassicaia (wine) cask for 3 years.

Caol Ila is one of my favorites as well, but its not always one I think of as my favorite, if that makes sense. This one was superb, as it was aged in a sassicaia (wine) cask for 3 years.

Yeah, it does. If someone asks me my favorites, I'm going to mention Longrow, Ardbeg, Scapa, Springbank, Glen Scotia (aka Glen Scrotum, OB poker), maybe Glenugie. But when push comes to shove, I probably drink more Macallan, Caol Ila, or Highland Park than any of those.

Availability counts for some of that, but still...

I just drank a bourbon over Thanksgiving that I really liked. Distilled in Ohio I don't believe it was all that expensive but I didn't buy it, and my brother i.l. didn't remember the price. Pretty sweet...almost a manhattan even straight without the Vermouth.

IMG_0821.JPG

Last edited:
Celebrating finishing my first evaluation at the new job with a nice dram. Was going to crack my Highland Park 40 sample, but decided to save that for Xmas and went with this bottle instead. Thanks to @Jackstraw for the bottle. Awesome friends are the best! View attachment 137237

I had a sherry finished Caol Ila in the same age range at the bar last night based off of this post. It was some tasty stuff!

I also tried the Balvenie 14yr Peat Week which was outstanding. Might have to track some down.

Which shop is that? I know Aldi have a couple of very cheap but very nice award-winning whiskies (Highland Black @ about £13 is good but there are others)

That is Aldi. Their Xmas booze lineup has some great stuff.

My favorite is the 39yo armagnac so far, out of what I've tried. Real good.

Aldi are doing a 29yo Glen Marnoch too, allegedly, although I've yet to spot it anywhere. £39.99 like the 26yo Irish whiskey I believe...

That is Aldi. Their Xmas booze lineup has some great stuff.

My favorite is the 39yo armagnac so far, out of what I've tried. Real good.

Aldi are doing a 29yo Glen Marnoch too, allegedly, although I've yet to spot it anywhere. £39.99 like the 26yo Irish whiskey I believe...

I've got a bottle of the GM Speyside single malt (as yet unopened). Not a 29yo though. But under £18

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom