Official PCF Whisk(e)y Thread (35 Viewers)

This Thursday evening I will be tasting the Glendronach 12 YO "The Original". It is a Speyside Single Malt aged in both Oloroso and PX sherry casks, and bottled at 43% abv. There is no colour added, and the spirit is not chill filtered. I appreciate as much detail as possible on labels these days, and this was nice to see. I do not usually mention the colour of whiskies these days, due to the prevalence of colouring agents. This pour, however, is a nice copper-gold in the glass, no doubt the influence of the sherry. The tears are oily and thin.

A fruity sweet aroma on the nose, raisins and raw sugars at the forefront. There is a nutty quality to this dram, too. Hazel Nuts. Underneath it all is a creamy quality with some tobacco airs. It is all very different from the Islays I have been enjoying of late, but just as interesting.
The sherry is evident from the first sip. There is a jam-like thickness to this dram. There is a bit of cherry to be found, as well as some chocolate. Interestingly enough, there is a spiciness in the middle that I would normally attribute to Rye. The nuttiness noted on the nose comes to the palate towards the finish. It is shadowed by the earlier chocolate notes through a very mellow, medium length finish. In fact, I think "mellow" is a very good way of describing this spirit. It takes it's time to introduce itself, and then it moves along like wedding guests in a receiving line. Lets see if water changes anything.

Well, this whisky does have a surprise, after all. the addition of a little water does not really alter the character too much in any direction. Rather, it simply smooths out the flavours in a very pleasant fashion. where once you tasted nuts and chocolate, now you have more of a Nutella feel, both in flavour and creamy character. The spiciness and tobacco combine to leave the tongue feeling the same tingle one gets with a decent cigar. Very nice indeed.

All in all, I think the Glendronach would make an excellent Scotch to give to someone looking to start down the Single Malt path. It is a nicely structured example of a style of Single Malt that used to dominate the market, but which has been replaced over time by more readily available Casks.

GlenD12.jpg

This Thursday evening I will be tasting the Glendronach 12 YO "The Original". It is a Speyside Single Malt aged in both Oloroso and PX sherry casks, and bottled at 43% abv. There is no colour added, and the spirit is not chill filtered. I appreciate as much detail as possible on labels these days, and this was nice to see. I do not usually mention the colour of whiskies these days, due to the prevalence of colouring agents. This pour, however, is a nice copper-gold in the glass, no doubt the influence of the sherry. The tears are oily and thin.

A fruity sweet aroma on the nose, raisins and raw sugars at the forefront. There is a nutty quality to this dram, too. Hazel Nuts. Underneath it all is a creamy quality with some tobacco airs. It is all very different from the Islays I have been enjoying of late, but just as interesting.
The sherry is evident from the first sip. There is a jam-like thickness to this dram. There is a bit of cherry to be found, as well as some chocolate. Interestingly enough, there is a spiciness in the middle that I would normally attribute to Rye. The nuttiness noted on the nose comes to the palate towards the finish. It is shadowed by the earlier chocolate notes through a very mellow, medium length finish. In fact, I think "mellow" is a very good way of describing this spirit. It takes it's time to introduce itself, and then it moves along like wedding guests in a receiving line. Lets see if water changes anything.

Well, this whisky does have a surprise, after all. the addition of a little water does not really alter the character too much in any direction. Rather, it simply smooths out the flavours in a very pleasant fashion. where once you tasted nuts and chocolate, now you have more of a Nutella feel, both in flavour and creamy character. The spiciness and tobacco combine to leave the tongue feeling the same tingle one gets with a decent cigar. Very nice indeed.

All in all, I think the Glendronach would make an excellent Scotch to give to someone looking to start down the Single Malt path. It is a nicely structured example of a style of Single Malt that used to dominate the market, but which has been replaced over time by more readily available Casks.

View attachment 193819

Thanks for the review!

I'm a big fan of Glendronach. I haven't had a bad bottle from them, ever. I know it's not a popular opinion but I'd take the GD12 over the Macallan 12 Sherry Oak any day. Same for the GD15 (discontinued) over the Mac15. The 18s are a bit closer but I'd still prefer the GDs (unless the Mac18 is pre 93').

I tend to gravitate more towards Islas but some nights, there's nothing better than a nice sherried single malt. And that's the beauty of Scotch: variety!

It is why I steal Doyle's line about poker and call Scotch the Cadillac of Whiskies. So many different flavour profiles branching out from the same basic starting point.

The inaugural Malted Monday review is going to be a Speyside Single Malt. BenRiach 10 YO features no chill filtering, and no added colour. The distillery is one of the few that still makes use of traditional floor malting of it's barley. The whisky is aged in both sherry and bourbon casks. The colour is that of golden honey, and the tears are thin and slow to form.

Honey is appropriate, as that is what nosing brings to bear. There is some orchard citrus and lemon zest. There is a sense of grassy fields, too. It reminds one of being outdoors in a pastoral setting. Underlying it all is a hint of cinnamon and raisins. It is all very light and pleasing, a nice thing for a sunny afternoon, either on a porch or a deck somewhere.

The first sip is somewhat surprising. I was expecting honey but, instead, cocoa powder and vanilla fudge. Sweet raisins with a touch of cinnamon warmth. As the heat rises slowly, so too do flavours of caramel apples and earthier things . . . walnuts bitterness, and coconut. There is a cereal quality to it all, like granola. It takes a couple of sips to get over one's preconceptions, but the time is well spent, as this dram is offering a fair bit, if you give it the time. The finish is of a reasonable length, if a little wanting, chocolate fading into the fruitier notes, ending with cinnamon's last tingle.

Water now, and an already well-behaved whisky becomes ever softer, cocoa becomes rich, dark creamy chocolate. raisins and darker fruits supplant the citrus tones. The cinnamon warmth does not disappear, but rather stays a lingering background presence . . . warming, but with little bite.

This is nicely crafted, neither barrel type is allowed to dominate the overall profile, allowing each it's expression within the Malt. If you like your Scotch a little more "summery" in character, this one will do quite nicely. I intend to enjoy it outdoors of a cool evening.

BenRi10.jpg

Last edited:
One of the five racks at Black Whiskey, in Washington, DC., one of our favorite after-dinner stops:
20180822_202108.jpg

Jefferson's Ocean and Orphan Barrel Rhetoric 22-yr. (more lively than the 24):
20180822_200514.jpg

20180822_200307.jpg

20180822_200251.jpg

OK, I had to have a pour of the Highland Park Dark Original, which I hadn't tasted, before it disappeared:
20180822_200237.jpg

Strange that they have only one young Springbank, and no Glenfarclas, but they plan to fix that.

There's also a full page of ryes, which I didn't capture. A fine place, with great music to boot.

Friday night, after dinner on our anniversary, a splurge: Glengarioch Founder's Reserve, Glendronach 21 yr., and Bruichladdich Octomore 7.1. Wallet says ouch.

Friday night, after dinner on our anniversary, a splurge: Glengarioch Founder's Reserve, Glendronach 21 yr., and Bruichladdich Octomore 7.1. Wallet says ouch.

Really nice flight, Larry!!! And put together very well, although I never had the Gari FR, only the 12.

It didn't hurt that they followed this Portuguese tinto from 1985. The Bairrada DOC and the baga grape are new to us.

Bairrada1985.jpg

(The flute is a rose cava from the same winery and grape...)

Do you know which voyage?

It was a few years ago I think. I had my first taste of this at your place. It is a unique flavor that I really liked. I didn't realize there was different "voyages". That makes perfect sense though.

Oh I just saw a review on this today...sounded quite nice.
It was good. Very smooth and tropical. I’m no master taster, but it was like a mix between whisky and rum. If that make sense.

This Malted Monday finds me relaxing at home for the holiday, with a glass of Tomintoul 16 YO Single Malt. This comes from the Speyside region of Scotland, and bills itself on the label as "the gentle dram". Tomintoul usually crafts malts for blending, but is now establishing itself under it's own bottlings, too. The whisky is aged exclusively in ex-Bourbon casks, bottled at 40% abv. The tears are incredibly thin inside the glass.

Nosing brings brown sugar and cereal, also apple skin. Oddly, it is pear and not apple that comes next, softer and rounder orchard sweetness, and a touch of malt loaf. It is all very light on the nose, with little to no ethanol tingle whatsoever.

Well, it lives up to it's billing, the first sip is indeed gentle on the palate, almost too much so. It takes a moment for raisins to make themselves known, along with cocoa. there is a very shallow vanilla presence, which is quickly surpassed by flavours of caramel and heavy bread. There is some nuttiness towards a short finish. Throughout it all is a pleasant warming spice feel. Sadly, it never truly resolves itself to be identified.

Water brings out more of the chocolate and vanilla flavours, as well as some added caramel sweets feel. think Werthers Originals. It's not a bad profile, it just seems a bit weaker.

Overall, this is a pretty inoffensive dram, and I think that therein lies a bit of a conundrum. While this might make a fine base for a blended Scotch, with it's simple and steady profile, I'm not sure it has enough of it's own character to stand on it's own merits. Still, if you know someone who is "looking to try Scotch", then this would be the one I'd serve first. It shows off some of the character, without being so bold as to scare anyone off.

Tomi16.jpg

This Malted Monday finds me relaxing at home for the holiday, with a glass of Tomintoul 16 YO Single Malt....

Despite most of the distillery output going for blending, bottles of the 12-yr. have been sold continuously in the DC area since at least 1983. They used to use a cylindrical bottle with a large silver plastic cap that formed the top of the cylinder, and used to be sold under the name "Tomintoul Glenlivet".

Ah, found this:
2333-129box.jpg

Your description of its innocuous nature is exactly what I recall. I see they're selling an 8-yr now as well.

Despite most of the distillery output going for blending, bottles of the 12-yr. have been sold continuously in the DC area since at least 1983. They used to use a cylindrical bottle with a large silver plastic cap that formed the top of the cylinder, and used to be sold under the name "Tomintoul Glenlivet".

Ah, found this:
2333-129box.jpg

Your description of its innocuous nature is exactly what I recall. I see they're selling an 8-yr now as well.

That is VERY interesting, especially identifying as a "highland" single malt. The current labelling clearly indicates "Speyside Glenlivet". Thanks . . .

That is VERY interesting, especially identifying as a "highland" single malt. The current labelling clearly indicates "Speyside Glenlivet". Thanks . . .

Well, Speyside isn't within the Scottish government department of "Highland", but it is within the Highlands -- as opposed to Lowlands -- region of Scotland.

"Everybody thinks of Speyside as a region in its own right, but technically, it's a sub-region of the Highlands, which explains why some Speyside distilleries choose to label their whisky as 'Highland' – step forward Glenfarclas, Dalwhinnie and Macallan. "

Add Tomintoul to that list, at least in the past. I guess their marketing team has decided that Speysides sell better!

Well, Speyside isn't within the Scottish government department of "Highland", but it is within the Highlands -- as opposed to Lowlands -- region of Scotland.

"Everybody thinks of Speyside as a region in its own right, but technically, it's a sub-region of the Highlands, which explains why some Speyside distilleries choose to label their whisky as 'Highland' – step forward Glenfarclas, Dalwhinnie and Macallan. "

Add Tomintoul to that list, at least in the past. I guess their marketing team has decided that Speysides sell better!
This was informative - thank you

Tonight's selection - the last of my Glenlivet 15
20180903_225645.jpg

I'm am absolute noob to whiskey. I keep some around the house to serve to guests, but I really should partake.

Got a Dalwhinnie 15 and a Jura for single malt. Also have a Dewar's 15 and a bottle of Nikka 12 that I picked up at the distillery in Hokkaido when I visited last year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom