Official Error Chip Thread (3 Viewers)

I recently started looking more closely at my TR King poker chips and noticed some with errors (or flaws) in them. I think most of my questions were answered here, but still wondering which of the following makes a chip an error chip (as opposed to just being flawed or messed up, if there is a difference)

Wrong denomination value on the chip, i.e., $5 denomination on a $1 chip (bottom 2 white chips)?

Label misplaced on the chip (top middle and top right white chips)?

Label placed on the chip correctly, but the image is printed wrong (top left white chip)?

Edge spots not correctly / completely pressed into the rest of the chip (blue $25k chip)?

Are error chips more valuable than non error chips?

Thanks!

20160221_110548_zpsvqqweubc.jpg

Came across this one recently. Not too bad but compared to their brothers, was a little off.

Pointe After_Error.JPG

These have the same inlay on both sides..

Attachments

• ERROR $1 Becks, Sngl Pic's 1 each 001.JPG
    ERROR $1 Becks, Sngl Pic's 1 each 001.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 293
  • ERROR $1 Becks, Sngl Pic's 1 each 002.JPG
    ERROR $1 Becks, Sngl Pic's 1 each 002.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 279
  • ERROR $1 Becks, Sngl Pic's 1 each 003.JPG
    ERROR $1 Becks, Sngl Pic's 1 each 003.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 273
  • ERROR $1 Becks, Sngl Pic's 1 each 004.JPG
    ERROR $1 Becks, Sngl Pic's 1 each 004.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 295
@HQ post your Mapes error chip here please.

@allothers feel free to post em if you find em...

Just won on eBay and not in hand yet, but the Chip Guide lists this as an error chip

View attachment 113324

I was all excited when I grabbed one of those at the convention that said "error chip" until I got home and realized that of the ~50 of these I have, more than half are the "error chips" lol. I wonder if @LabMonkey's are too?

I was all excited when I grabbed one of those at the convention that said "error chip" until I got home and realized that of the ~50 of these I have, more than half are the "error chips" lol. I wonder if @LabMonkey's are too?

Of the 101 that I have, 23 are the error kind. One of those error chips is the elusive double error variety.

I no longer have the picture, but I once got an extra chip thrown in on an eBay purchase. Was like 15 chips worth about $1 each, and guy was nice enough to throw in a bonus chip that was not pictured at all.

Turns out it was an Atlantic City error chip and there were only 1 or 2 others known about. Was told it was worth $250, and that's what I got for it. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Edit: Oh yes it was Resorts Intl. 50c error chip cancelled with starburst stamp.

Last edited:
@David Spragg, Do you happen to know who manufactured these hourglass Mapes?. I believe they weigh around 11g each.

Found this manufacturer online. The time period seems to align as the ChipGuide says the Mapes hourglass was made in the 50s. Both have 30 hourglasses, but the area outside the outer ring seems smaller on the illegal chip below, unless that's just from wear.

upload_2017-8-14_22-33-10.png

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom