Official Error Chip Thread (2 Viewers)

The funny thing is, because CPC slides in a few extra chips "just in case" the error chips aren't bad, they're extra awesome.

My Zombie mutant chip:
dsc01123-jpg.6875

It stays in play, not hidden away in the "extras" box.

That one is pretty cool.
Obviously with a more complex spot pattern we are going to make more than needed as there will be more rejects, so you have a chance of getting something like that thrown in.

So the secret is to order the most expensive spot patterns :) :)

Oddly, my level 9s had zero errors (well 0 made it past QC). Add-on will need level 10s I guess... :eek:

the consummate salesman :) :)

Except for the fact there is nothing better to P off the factory employees than an order of 1000 L10's :)
To be honest there is probably more margin in L1's than L10's despite the price.

Of course going back to my original comment it doesn't necessarily follow that the most expensive will produce most error chips. The complexity has two factors. - Labor in making parts and assembling, and punching (because some patterns require double or even treble punching).
So a Level 9 6A18 is unlikely to produce any errors as they would have come at the punching stage and been culled early.
On the other hand, something like 8Q14 with 8 different spot colors would be fun (and that is the one we have just had an order for 1000 of!!)

On the other hand, something like 8Q14 with 8 different spot colors would be fun (and that is the one we have just had an order for 1000 of!!)

Jiminy get that guy onto PCF. I wanna see 10 racks of 8Q14s!

That's not a Paulson chip :)

My last post was just the same attachment 6 times or sumfink, so I edited it out.

I must say though, I do like the off-centre errors, especially when they're way off. Maybe there should be some Poker chips that are designed that way intentionally...

My last post was just the same attachment 6 times or sumfink, so I edited it out.

I must say though, I do like the off-centre errors, especially when they're way off. Maybe there should be some Poker chips that are designed that way intentionally...

You can't do it intentionally. Usually the chip breaks. That's why you don't see that many.

You can't do it intentionally. Usually the chip breaks. That's why you don't see that many.

David,
I love not only that you are a member here but that you actively post as well. Even your small posts like the one above shed light on a topic that we all love and have very limited knowledge of. These are great nuggets of information.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

- Tom H.

Reactions: 72o
i just looked thru 1000 chips since i thought i had an Outpost chip where the inlay way was almost out to the edge, could not find it but i only have 22 of the $2 chips and 5 of them the inlays are off, plus look at the edge spots where something wasnt going right.. found this other Outpost with a gunshot hole, must have been rough at the paulson factory that day..;)

outpost2n5.jpg

i just looked thru 1000 chips since i thought i had an Outpost chip where the inlay way was almost out to the edge, could not find it but i only have 22 of the $2 chips and 5 of them the inlays are off, plus look at the edge spots where something wasnt going right.. found this other Outpost with a gunshot hole, must have been rough at the paulson factory that day..;)

View attachment 26266

'Sliding' within the circle happens even with modern circular inlay Paulson's. The old Christ & Jones H&C mold used at our factory had a smaller ring which helped for shaped inlays.

I like the ones like the California Club where it is right off in the mold. I count that as a genuine error rather than 'poor quality'.

'Sliding' within the circle happens even with modern circular inlay Paulson's. The old Christ & Jones H&C mold used at our factory had a smaller ring which helped for shaped inlays.

I like the ones like the California Club where it is right off in the mold. I count that as a genuine error rather than 'poor quality'.

so the inlay and edge spots were the last thing in the process before its pressed?...i always thought that the edgespots were actually different color clay pressed in not "paint" for lack of better words

so the inlay and edge spots were the last thing in the process before its pressed?...i always thought that the edgespots were actually different color clay pressed in not "paint" for lack of better words

No, the edge spots are one of the earliest things, but what happened in the chip you showed is that it wasn't placed in the mold properly.

@David Spragg , speaking of non-centered inlays, did CPC ever produce/offer "giant inlays" where the inlay goes to 1/8" from the edge, beyond what the center ring allows for it? It probably wouldn't be pretty, but conceivably it would be possible, no?

I mention this because I've seen an example of what looks to be 1 1/16" inlay used on a HH mold, and the inlay goes beyond the inner ring.

What if someone wanted a 1 3/8" giant inlay on a HH? The inlay would obviously cover all of the horsehead impressions, but that would be entirely possible, no?

full

No, the edge spots are one of the earliest things, but what happened in the chip you showed is that it wasn't placed in the mold properly.

@David Spragg , That’s also something I’ve always wondered about, and maybe you can shed some light.

We’ve all seen off-center, misplaced inlays on BCC and TRK. The BCC inlays seem to be the worst. They are often off-center, and often misshaped (non-circular and oval shaped).

Why does that happen? Don’t they buy round labels? Or are they cut out by hand? What is different in their production process that allows this to happen, or to put it another way, what does CPC and Paulson do to make sure the inlays are centered properly?

@David Spragg , speaking of non-centered inlays, did CPC ever produce/offer "giant inlays" where the inlay goes to 1/8" from the edge, beyond what the center ring allows for it? It probably wouldn't be pretty, but conceivably it would be possible, no?

I mention this because I've seen an example of what looks to be 1 1/16" inlay used on a HH mold, and the inlay goes beyond the inner ring.

What if someone wanted a 1 3/8" giant inlay on a HH? The inlay would obviously cover all of the horsehead impressions, but that would be entirely possible, no?

The inlay size is dependent on the molds used to make the blanks before you start. We only have them in the three sizes.
In any event, 'displacement' and the sizing of the circle on the chips, means not all sizes work with all molds.
If that design was any bigger it would be all distorted round the edge.

full

'Sliding' within the circle happens even with modern circular inlay Paulson's....I like the ones like the California Club where it is right off in the mold. I count that as a genuine error rather than 'poor quality'.

that is a good point David.... that defines and i assumed is used in collecting for value ?

such as with coins, some double die stamped are worth more and would be a true error not poor quality..

Last edited:
@David Spragg , That’s also something I’ve always wondered about, and maybe you can shed some light.

We’ve all seen off-center, misplaced inlays on BCC and TRK. The BCC inlays seem to be the worst. They are often off-center, and often misshaped (non-circular and oval shaped).

Why does that happen? Don’t they buy round labels? Or are they cut out by hand? What is different in their production process that allows this to happen, or to put it another way, what does CPC and Paulson do to make sure the inlays are centered properly?

I have no idea about the production process of other manufacturers in this respect, and I won't be revealing precise detail on ours either. Sorry. :)

that is a good point David.... that defines and i assumed is used in collecting for value ?, such as with coins, some double die stamped are worth more and would be an error not poor quality..thanks

Yes, people will collect the really bad ones and value them more than a regular chip. Not so when it only bad enough to be poor quality.

The inlay size is dependent on the molds used to make the blanks before you start. We only have them in the three sizes.
In any event, 'displacement' and the sizing of the circle on the chips, means not all sizes work with all molds.
If that design was any bigger it would be all distorted round the edge.

Got it, was just wondering if ASM/CPC ever experimented with giant inlays as a possible offering. TR King did at one point, though they never did them on a production scale.

full

Got it, was just wondering if ASM/CPC ever experimented with giant inlays as a possible offering. TR King did at one point, though they never did them on a production scale.

full

The tooling alone would be over $30,000 for every size you tried.

TR King's process was nothing like ours. Not really compression molded.

Answering the main question though. They will all start off perfectly round, its just bad pressing that mis-shapes them.

Answering the main question though. They will all start off perfectly round, its just bad pressing that mis-shapes them.

Ah, the magic of the “compression press.” That is interesting to know, and does answer some curiosity. Thank you!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom