Official Error Chip Thread (3 Viewers)

8F7030C9-351F-45F9-A1B3-D47D9588CA22.jpeg

For some clay color combinations and certain spots, the risk of displacement during pressing seems higher. I've noticed this with 3TRIM with a weighted color base and all dayglo (unweighted) spots. On many of these chips, the spots appear to have been pushed outwards so they no longer really resemble a half moon but rather a banana. I also have nearly the other way round - dayglo base, one unweighted and one weighted spot in 4DSA316 - and those had no higher number of rejects than the other chips.

I also have a handful of chips with displaced inlay (among thousands of chips), but only few of those to a no longer acceptable level, and never this far out.

But the way the spots are shifted uniformly into one direction on this chip here rather looks like the blank was off-center above the mold before pressing.

I suspect they'd always throw in a handful of chips that would otherwise be rejects to them just in case people want to have keepsakes, or as a sort of proof of the manual work involved, but idk.

I suspect they'd always throw in a handful of chips that would otherwise be rejects to them just in case people want to have keepsakes, or as a sort of proof of the manual work involved, but idk.
In the past, I know that David has said that they have to account for a certain percentage of every press being rejected. So it's actually more like they're expecting rejects on every single press. But, yeah, it would be cool to see the rejects that were part of your order. Just so that you can see all the manual labor involved.

I
Was CPC able to help make it right?
haven’t asked. I do t even know how to describe the issue.

but to be clear, I love my chips, and for the most part, they are top notch! Just some denoms have a higher rate of problems that others. My $1, for example, are basically flawless!

Probably not a discussion for this thread.

Was CPC able to help make it right?
CPC usually includes extra chips in every order, because there is always something that will slip past quality control.

In my particular set, I ordered 300 T25s. I received 312 I ordered 250 T100s, received 268.

Personally, I think it's a great method. If you get an error chip, you can throw it away yourself and pull out one of the extras. Personally, I like the error chips, and the extras get shipped as extra sample sets.

Got another Rounders error chip (black $500). This one came from the past owner of CPC/ASM . I thought he was trying to scam me, but I was wrong…legit and gave this to me for a great price.

View attachment 767157
So Redd messed up production, and found someone to buy it?

Hell, if Redd produced anything correctly, that would be the rarity.

So Redd messed up production, and found someone to buy it?

Hell, if Redd produced anything correctly, that would be the rarity.
I think that Rounders was pre-Redd/Las Vegas ASM. I bought my chips in 2003 and 2004 and they were from Maine. But as I get older, I cannot remember when the Las Vegas years were.

I think that Rounders was pre-Redd/Las Vegas ASM. I bought my chips in 2003 and 2004 and they were from Maine. But as I get older, I cannot remember when the Las Vegas years were.
It was the "past owner" comment that made me think it was Ott. Most people refer to the Blanchard/Spragg combo as being the original owner/rescuer combo. Before that it was Burt Co, so that leaves Ott as the alternative.

Ott certainly had the equipment to have made more Rounders chips, and the lack of ethics that would prevent him from making (and selling) "from the movie" knockoffs.

It was the "past owner" comment that made me think it was Ott. Most people refer to the Blanchard/Spragg combo as being the original owner/rescuer combo. Before that it was Burt Co, so that leaves Ott as the alternative.

Ott certainly had the equipment to have made more Rounders chips, and the lack of ethics that would prevent him from making (and selling) "from the movie" knockoffs.
Between the Burt era and The Red Otter was Jim Blanchard. He was ASM. Ott bought it from him and moved it to Vegas after Mike Dambach was instructed how to use the presses to make chips. I say instructed as he and with Red's 'guidance', between the two of them they managed to nearly destroy the last compression clay manufacturer for us.

David Spragg was the savior. He was smart enough to coax Jim out of retirement long enough to re-establish manufacturing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom