New Circus Games Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

RocAFella1

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Circus games are likely being newly invented or tweaked throughout home games. Wanted to start a discussion thread to talk about new or modified games and how they play.

Not sure if this has been played before but I called double hand super holdem 8 or better for dealer’s choice tonight. Everyone is dealt 6 cards pre flop. Players organize their hands into two super holdem hands. After the flop players discard one of their super holdem hands and the hand is played out as super holdem split pot between the high hand and any low hand 8 or better if applicable.

Last edited:
Circus games are likely being newly invented or tweaked throughout home games. Wanted to start a discussion thread to talk about new or modified games and how they play.

Not sure if this has been played before but I called double hand super holdem 8 or better for dealer’s choice tonight. Everyone is dealt 6 cards pre flop. Players organize their hands into two super holdem hands. After the flop players discard one of their super holdem hands and the hand is played out as super holdem split pot between the high hand and any low hand 8 or better if applicable.
Like it!
Another game to add to the 7 max possibles!

Tip Toe
Split pot (low to the 8) with 4+ hole cards.

Two flops, 4 turn cards, 4 river cards. The two turn and river cards on either side can be used on either flop. The turn and river cards on the top can only be used with the flop on top. The turn and river cards on the bottom can only be used with the flop on the bottom.

PXL_20220627_022429231.MP.jpg

Spider Web

One flop, 2 cards for the turn x 4, 1 cards for the river x 4. Must use one card from each street from a "leg" (one card from the flop, one card from the turn, and one card from the river starting from the middle and going out to either corner).

PXL_20220626_203526798.jpg

Tip Toe

Two flops, 4 turn cards, 4 river cards. The two turn and river cards on either side can be used on either flop. The turn and river cards on the top can only be used with the flop on top. The turn and river cards on the bottom can only be used with the flop on the bottom.

View attachment 1058786
I think I understand but how do you place the turns and rivers to read the board?

I think I understand but how do you place the turns and rivers to read the board?
:jd::4d::8c::7c: are the turn cards. All four at the same time after end of action from the flop.

:2h::6c::4c::2c: are the river cards. All four at the same time after end of action from the turn.

Cards outside of the flop do not go all the way across. Start from the flop and you work your way out. Essentially 6 boards.

It's confusing, I know lol.

:jd::4d::8c::7c: are the turn cards. All four at the same time after end of action from the flop.

:2h::6c::4c::2c: are the river cards. All four at the same time after end of action from the turn.

Cards outside of the flop do not go all the way across. Start from the flop and you work your way out. Essentially 6 boards.

It's confusing, I know lol.

@RocAFella1 I had explained it in another thread. Took me a bit to find it: Post in thread 'What are your favorite Circus (bingo) games/variations?' https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...cus-bingo-games-variations.91268/post-1881513

Couple Scarney variants

Boomerang Scarney
Played as normal, except players keep their discards face up in front of them.
If the top row (good cards) turns up a card that matches a value in the bottom row (discards) the players that discarded that card value place it back into their hand.

Guts Scarney
Same play, but only one board. Discard as normal but the resultant board is also the one that plays. Same discard and play board.

Played Drawmaha for the first time, teaching 2 friends while I learn. Definitely didnt want to do it for the 10 handed NLHE crowd but a small limit session with Rocky in the background was fantastic.

Dealt my friend an Ace high flush and his brow was so furroughed you could barely see his eyes.
"Soooo....what if we don't want to draw any cards?"

I called his 25cent raises just to see him smile and win a decent pot with what was obviously a monster.

How many people here play Guts? And what variants do you typically play?
We play 3 card poker, pretty much guts. Everyone is dealt 3 cards, straights and flushes count. Ante $2.

On the count of 3, everyone either drops their cards to fold or keeps them to stay in. there is also a hand in the center of the table (dealer hand). To win outright, you need to beat everyone, along with the dealer hand. if you lose, you need to match the pot, usually to a max of $40. The game continues to be dealt until there is one remaining player who beats the dealer hand (if more than one person stays in the hand, the game continues regardless if the dealer hand is beat).

Hopefully this isn’t too confusing.

We play 3 card poker, pretty much guts. Everyone is dealt 3 cards, straights and flushes count. Ante $2.

On the count of 3, everyone either drops their cards to fold or keeps them to stay in. there is also a hand in the center of the table (dealer hand). To win outright, you need to beat everyone, along with the dealer hand. if you lose, you need to match the pot, usually to a max of $40. The game continues to be dealt until there is one remaining player who beats the dealer hand (if more than one person stays in the hand, the game continues regardless if the dealer hand is beat).

Not confusing at all! We play a similar style. Instead of three cards, we do two. No straights or flushes, but we’re also have a “House Hand” that the players need to beat, but we don’t cap losses. It can get expensive!

We play mostly this same way, except once you’re dealt the 3 cards, you pass 1 card to your left (and receive one from the right). Then do the count of 3, etc…. Also, straights beat flushes…

We play mostly this same way, except once you’re dealt the 3 cards, you pass 1 card to your left (and receive one from the right). Then do the count of 3, etc…. Also, straights beat flushes…
That’s a really cool variation, passing a card. Screw your neighbor.

Straights beat flushes with us, too.

One of our guys suggested a game called Siberian Twist at one of our cash games a few weeks back, and we have had an absolute blast playing it at every cash game since. Here's how it works:

It's exactly like NLH, except on the final three betting streets (flop, turn, and river), if you voluntarily put money into the pot (whether by call, bet, or raise), you have the option to exchange one of your hole cards with any of the community cards on the table (or, you can stand pat and not exchange anything). That's it! Best hand wins!

This game is a wild ride every single time. You can start with literally any two cards, and then if the flop is favorable to you in any way, you can pursue trying to make a hand. There is so much change through three betting streets with an 8-handed game that it can be difficult just to follow which cards other players exchanged and which they kept. Such a blast! I would really love to see this played at a high level by pros at the WSOP, for instance. I'm sure they would crush it.

At the Austin meetup a few days ago, @Breich introduced me to Sassy, and it was a lot of fun. It's a variant of Tahoe Pitch & Roll / 7 card stud, and here's how it works:
  1. Deal 4 cards to each player, dealer antes for the table. All players must discard one, and (at the same time) flip one card face up.
  2. Low card brings it in (places a forced bet) and there is a round of betting.
  3. (4th street) Dealer gives each player one card face up, followed by a round of betting that starts with the best visible hand.
  4. Repeat twice for 5th and 6th streets. There is no 7th street.
  5. Starting with the best visible hand, players declare Sassy or Pat.
    1. Sassy players get to discard two cards and draw replacements. Up cards are up, down cards are down.
    2. Pat players do nothing.
    3. All players must declare before draws are dealt.
  6. One final round of betting, and the pot is split between best high hand and best low hand (8 or lower to qualify).
I'm not a huge fan of stud, but I find Sassy to be a lot more fun because of the draw element.

EDIT: If you play pot limit, deal 4th and 5th street together.

Played Drawmaha for the first time, teaching 2 friends while I learn. Definitely didnt want to do it for the 10 handed NLHE crowd but a small limit session with Rocky in the background was fantastic.
Drawmaha is probably my favorite meetup game. There are a couple variants that have only started to get play recently, and some of you may not know these yet:

Drawmaha 49: Half to best Omaha hand, half to highest pip count in hand. Face cards are zero and aces are low, so TTTT9 is the nuts (hence "49").
Drawmaha Zero: Same as 49, but you're going for the lowest pip count in hand. Again, face cards are zero and aces are low, so any five face cards is the nuts.

Drawmaha is probably my favorite meetup game. There are a couple variants that have only started to get play recently, and some of you may not know these yet:

Drawmaha 49: Half to best Omaha hand, half to highest pip count in hand. Face cards are zero and aces are low, so TTTT9 is the nuts (hence "49").
Drawmaha Zero: Same as 49, but you're going for the lowest pip count in hand. Again, face cards are zero and aces are low, so any five face cards is the nuts.
Good God. Players demanded I explain the math that I was doing when splitting a double board bomb pot with 2 sidepots. Hard enough to do it, impossible with drunks asking for explanations.

Question about drawing games, do you have to cap the number of players, or do you shuffle discards to reuse?

If the latter, do you draw until there's no cards and then shuffle in discards and keep drawing, or do you shuffle in discards immediately if the stub doesn't have enough cards for the draw request.

I'm probably not wording that well, so here's an example: Let's say there's only 2 cards left in the stub, but a player wants to draw 3. Do you deal the player the remaining 2 cards then shuffle the previous discards, and deal 1 more from the new stub, or do you shuffle the discard with the 2 remaining cards, and then deal the player 3 cards?

Also, if players fold earlier, are folds ever shuffled in to form the new stub, or are they firmly in the muck and unusable again?

Question about drawing games, do you have to cap the number of players, or do you shuffle discards to reuse?

If the latter, do you draw until there's no cards and then shuffle in discards and keep drawing, or do you shuffle in discards immediately if the stub doesn't have enough cards for the draw request.

I'm probably not wording that well, so here's an example: Let's say there's only 2 cards left in the stub, but a player wants to draw 3. Do you deal the player the remaining 2 cards then shuffle the previous discards, and deal 1 more from the new stub, or do you shuffle the discard with the 2 remaining cards, and then deal the player 3 cards?

Also, if players fold earlier, are folds ever shuffled in to form the new stub, or are they firmly in the muck and unusable again?
At my home game, we cap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom