Criticism Needed On New Game [Different] (1 Viewer)

TheLemursReturn

3 of a Kind
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
No clue how/why we came up with this. I think someone was joking about keeping a card from a previous hand and we decided "let's try it and see what happens".

Trench Cards

Everyone gets a bonus card (face down) and caps it. We started calling this our "trench card" (something about trench warfare). You keep it until you use it at showdown or until a specified number of hands are completed. We did two orbits but no idea what's ideal.

The game is regular NLH. But at showdown, anyone with a trench card can choose to add it to their hand. This decision is made secretly and everyone (still in the hand) reveals their decision at the same time. We put a two-sided chip in our fist and said if you reveal heads, it means you're using your trench card.

I've played near zero circus games. So I'm curious if games like this exist.

And of course I'm extremely curious if this seems playable/interesting or if you spot any bugs or possible improvements.

Our takeaways so far:

- Hands and pots do get a little bigger
- It's weird to be afraid of a flush when there are only 2 suited community cards
- We didn't actually use the trench cards as much as you might expect. Even if you got an Ace, it was extremely common to not need/want it
- That said, when you use and lose the card, you feel screwed
- It seems like there's value in making huge bets when you want to use your trench card. If everyone folds, cool, you get to keep your card
- A huge (but hard) part of this is tracking what card's you've seen. Or at least noting details like "He probably doesn't have a club in his trench" and remembering that for future hands

Last edited:
So do we look at the card? And all the holdem hands have an incomplete deck for all those hands? You could have 8 capped spades face down and they'll never come? Kinda weird.

I like the idea of using or not using, but the reveal and two sided chips is pretty cool, like guts.

If I was at a hold ‘em only game, I would be very happy to play this.

That being said, you guys should just play more games. It’ll help you see what mechanisms you like and don’t like, and would only increase your ability to build games you like.

Are you using two decks?

If so, there could be two people with the same quads, or nut flush, etc.?

Or do you have to play your trench card in the corresponding deck?

I would at minimum suggest that you have to play 2 or maybe even 3 from your hand when deploying the trench card. But maybe I’m not getting this.

Once you use it, do you get another trench card the next hand, or just the next time the "orbit" (or whatever parameter) resets? In other words, do you always have potentially 3 cards to use, or will you lose that option for a while after? Interesting strategic considerations.

Also I’m confused about the game description, which refers initially to players keeping a card from a previous hand, but then later to players “getting” trench cards (as if these were dealt to them).

You do not replace it after use. You only ever get one at the start of a trench warfare session.

Also I’m confused about the game description, which refers initially to players keeping a card from a previous hand, but then later to players “getting” trench cards (as if these were dealt to them).
The "previous hand" bit was just what spurred the idea. In it's current form, everyone gets their trench card from the shuffled deck, between hands.

Edit for clarity:

The initial trench deal happens at the beginning of the session, between hands. But then you *do* keep the same trench card from previous hands, until you use it or the predetermined session length ends.

Last edited:
You might want to try Super Hold’em. Everyone gets 3 cards and can play any combo of them and the board to make the best 5 card hand.

Also try Hollywood & Hollywood 8 (better version). Every player is dealt 3 cards, 2 down and 1 up card. Again, you can use any combo of hole cards and board cards to make the best 5 card hand.

Interesting idea. I'm not sure how happy I'd be, though, if I was stuck with a crappier card (e.g. 2c) as my trench card for more than one hand, much less an entire orbit or two!

I rarely deal hold em (I just like other games so much more). I will, however, occasionally deal pineapple hold em (3 dealt cards with a discard either before or after the flop, depending on if the game is standard, crazy, or single/double board bomb pot...). I just feel like hold em isn't as "bad" if I get to pick two out of three (even if everyone else's hand also improves).

Interesting idea. I'm not sure how happy I'd be, though, if I was stuck with a crappier card (e.g. 2c) as my trench card for more than one hand, much less an entire orbit or two!

In our experience, :2c: is not as bad as it sounds. As I mentioned, even an Ace is not always needed. And 2c still gives you an extra card to pair and an extra club. It does feel great to start with 3 suited cards and that does happen a fair amount.

Last edited:
In our experience, a 2c is not as bad as it sounds. As I mentioned, even an Ace is not always needed. And 2c still gives you an extra card to pair and an extra club. It does feel great to start with 3 suited cards and that does happen a fair amount.
So if I don't like the trench card, I just never use mine and then everyone else never refills theirs?

So if I don't like the trench card, I just never use mine and then everyone else never refills theirs?
At the end of the session (two orbits in our testing) the game ends and all remaining trench cards go away. So everyone might as well use it on the last hand.

We then chose to play a few regular hands before rebooting a new trench cards game.

In our experience, :2c: is not as bad as it sounds. As I mentioned, even an Ace is not always needed. And 2c still gives you an extra card to pair and an extra club. It does feel great to start with 3 suited cards and that does happen a fair amount.

lol lemme guess, you've also got a great deal on some swampland in Florida? :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom