Cash Game Mixed/Circus Games Question (1 Viewer)

Tonysquander

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
I have been checking out the Mixed Game cards in the resource section attempting to study up on some of these games and have a few questions for those with far more experience than I playing these circus games. I was going to reach out privately but then figured that, although my questions may end up appearing dumb in hindsight, maybe the answers will help someone else down the road with similar question. Thanks for any guidance/help you all can provide.

First question (and this covers a lot of the split games low side) is for a game like Super Hold’em 8.

IMG_1233.jpeg

When it says “lowest 5 unique ranks” for low hand, I understand that is 5 unique cards numbered between Ace to 8 but can those unique card include a straight or flush as well, or do those hands have to be avoided as well? In other words is the best low hand (assuming different suits) A,2,3,4,5 or is it A,2,3,4,6?

I’m sure I will have other questions but this is the biggest one so far. Thanks!

A,2,3,4,5 is the best low hand regardless of suit in A-8 low games. Flushes and straights don’t negate your low.

Straights and flushes can negate the low on deuce to 7 low games (like razz).
Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.

When looking at which is the best low a tip I found helpful is to turn the hand into a 5 digit number with digits in big to small order - the best low is the smallest number.

A2458 & 23457 becomes 85421 & 75432 and therefore 23457 is the lowest of those 2 hands.

Also, in games where the best low is 2-7 (23457), also known as Kansas City Lowball, where straights and flushes count against you, Ace is generally high. I was playing 2-7 Triple Draw and ended up with A2345 and thought there's no way I could win the hand with a straight, but my opponent had a low pair in his hand, and I won with 2345A (not a straight), or as recommended above to evaluate a low hand by going from highest rank to lowest, it'd be A5432.

There are some other general rules (though of course a particular circus game could have rules that override these "standards"), like if a game is high/low, then the low will usually have a qualifier (like unique cards 8 or lower).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom