Let's play a game: Exquisite corpse (2 Viewers)

sticking with cali colors, 18 spots, using a previous spot color as the base color, and not going crazy with edge spots, i present my $25:

1692735552637.png

Happy to see the enthusiasm!

Nice premise. Here is my contribution for the $5. Keep the 18 spots, use the yellow of the $2 spot as the base, a nice Imp Blue to make it pop and have a contrast, and DG Yellow to make the two chips optically in the same category.

http://pokerchipdesigntool.com/?imp_sets=OMVde4e9
View attachment 1183796

Honest naive question: why so many small denoms? 50c 1 2? Feels like the 1 is redundant. Or is it to accommodate games I have no ideas of?
Ah, no particular reason on the low denoms. Fracs can be fun to design. $2s are fun for drop chips or $4/$8 limit and so serve a kind of specialized purpose. I would not picture a game with 50¢, $1s, and $2s all in play.
]
Spoiler on the $2 design:
The memory of the two barrels of Aliante Station $2s I once had sometimes rears it’s head and did so as I put the chip together. I don’t think the rest of the line up is as inspiring and was curious what would come together here from a similar starting point.

1692736123985.png

1692736139671.png

[/SPOILER

The fourth chip is a relatively restrained $100. I was going to show some restraint but then noticed this is my 500th post. Old design in attachment.

http://pokerchipdesigntool.com/?imp_sets=1Aw7LhEf

1692739964966.png

This chip continues the Cali theme, while incorporating previously seen base colors and a new color, pink.

Attachments

• 1692739034530.png
    1692739034530.png
    161.3 KB · Views: 58
I picked the $100 chip because I wasn't sure how to progress the spot progression backwards ("regress"?).
That is to say, you wanted to regress it but didn't know how, so you did progress it. Because that certainly looks like progression to me!

Spot progression is comprised of colors, number of spots, shapes of spots, and general complexity (IMO). I think with the other chips in the lineup, any significant regression would have been quite jarring, but maybe that's a good thing.

I personally like a good bit of progression. But many people who have made amazing custom sets on PCF have shown that resisting the well-worn trenches of spot progression can lead to spectacular results. Why shouldn't your workhorse chips be strikingly not-progressive? Maybe the highest denom needs to be not just the most complex but a shining star at the top of the lineup.

So, what could it have looked like to regress here or not progress as neatly? I will use your original colors. FWIW, I don't like most of these. But maybe some are thought provoking?

1692743101916.png

And IMO scientifially perfect progression would have been one of these, but what you came up with is aesthetically and academically much better.

1692743267585.png

but now they have to work backwards (or do they?)... per the assignment, we still need a $1 and a $0.50
I don’t think anything has to anything. That’s some of the fun here. However yes it would be interesting to continue the progression from the earlier denoms. Someone take a stab!

So, what could it have looked like to regress here or not progress as neatly? I will use your original colors. FWIW, I don't like most of these. But maybe some are thought provoking?

View attachment 1183879
Yeah, there were a lot of progression ideas. 3TA316 and 618 came naturally. (I'm surprised that there is a 8D18 but not 818.) The 4V12 would be an interesting continuation.

As far as regression goes: (spoiler to reduce influence on the next designer)

I'm not surpised that the quarter pie works, and I would have naturally reached for it if there was only one lower denoms. The quarter pie taking the frac spot suggests 218 or 318 for the $1, neither of which I'm super happy with. The quarter pie taking the $1 spot suggests a solid frac, which works but I feel we can do better.

I personally like a good bit of progression. But many people who have made amazing custom sets on PCF have shown that resisting the well-worn trenches of spot progression can lead to spectacular results.

I think the line-up, so far, is really nice. I would be seriously tempted to buy it. I would be really happy with a set like this on the table. It checks all the boxes, nice colours, nice reuse of colours that creates cohesion and harmony, nice spots progression… I really like all the 4 chips individually. That 100 could be gorgeous. But. But. As a set…? I can not help to almost think… it is almost too clean. Dare I say it? Borderline boring. A well-behaved student, that does everything right. I feel it lacks this je-ne-sais quoi that differentiates good from great.

I am the first culprit. I am always tempted to go for this kind of logic, harmony, colours, spots progression that feels natural, etc. But indeed, most of the really awesome sets break rules, go for weird colours combo, introduce different logic of spots that is not super rational, but hey… if it works it works. Difference between Art and Craft I suppose.

This is really fascinating!

So… who is next? Who is gonna add an awesome frac to this set? I know the pressure gets higher, the risk to come up with an ugly chip that ruins this beauty is real, but come on people, do not be shy, it is only a game, an experiment, a substrate for thoughts and discussion. :LOL: :laugh:

I think the line-up, so far, is really nice. I would be seriously tempted to buy it. I would be really happy with a set like this on the table. It checks all the boxes, nice colours, nice reuse of colours that creates cohesion and harmony, nice spots progression… I really like all the 4 chips individually. That 100 could be gorgeous. But. But. As a set…? I can not help to almost think… it is almost too clean. Dare I say it? Borderline boring. A well-behaved student, that does everything right. I feel it lacks this je-ne-sais quoi that differentiates good from great.

I am the first culprit. I am always tempted to go for this kind of logic, harmony, colours, spots progression that feels natural, etc. But indeed, most of the really awesome sets break rules, go for weird colours combo, introduce different logic of spots that is not super rational, but hey… if it works it works. Difference between Art and Craft I suppose.

This is really fascinating!

So… who is next? Who is gonna add an awesome frac to this set? I know the pressure gets higher, the risk to come up with an ugly chip that ruins this beauty is real, but come on people, do not be shy, it is only a game, an experiment, a substrate for thoughts and discussion. :LOL: :laugh:
It's boring because spot progression is mundane. Figure out what your workhorse chip is and make it shine!

For the sake of the argument only: I have said borderline boring. And I think it is precisely that elusive little something that differentiates "Nice" from "I want it, now!" sets, that I find so intriguing.

CDI 05 are all on a 4D14 pattern, Mapes are all tri-moon, @chipinla's Cantura Cantina set is all 414, @JP1984 Wasp's Nest is all quarter-pies and is one of my favourite set, I don't know how many "classic" sets with the same 3D14 there are, or a variation of 114, 214, 314, etc,… and they are certainly not "boring".

On the other end, there are also a ton of sets with spots all over the place and colours that looks picked randomly… Some are definitely great, others only looks like clown vomit.

The line is thin. And we can also add a big subjectivity and personal tastes component.

I know I am rambling, but this is fascinating, and why I love to browse this forum, play with the Design Tool, to try and see what works, and what doesn't.

Come on good people, keep them coming, let's try things.

View attachment 1184111

http://pokerchipdesigntool.com/?imp_sets=2uGoBjDP

I think this is one of the way we can go back, leaving atleast two options for the smallest Denom.

I used the base color of 2$ as the edge spot to stick to theme

I was almost hoping for a half-pie for the frac, but yours works better. Sometimes one have to follow the written path… I think this set is actually quite nice!

So, who is up to propose a chip for the first denom and end brilliantly the set?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom