Lego as an adult? (1 Viewer)

doakwolf

Straight
Reaction score
Any adults here still enjoy Lego?

I just started this one... It's my first as an adult - My partner got it for my Birthday last week. I turned 33.

Best part of Christmas is helping our 5 year old build his legos! haha

Putting the table to good use on the off week:

2016-07-22 17.14.36.jpg

Back story... When I was a kid, I spent every spare dollar from my paper route on Legos. I was a true lego maniac. I had a 20 gallon garbage can filled to the brim with Legos. Huge. Then one year, my mom said that because I hadn't touched the Legos in a year, she was selling them at a garage sale. No begging, pleading, kicking or screaming helped. The Legos were gone, and I was traumatized... And it didn't help that she gave them away for $20...

Now that I have kids, I vowed that the Legos were one of the only toys that we'd never get rid of. Once the kids outgrow them, we will package them all up and keep them until we have grandkids to play with them.. Last count, we had 20,000 bricks, but that was a long time ago, and we stopped counting. We had an entire room (and two full sized Lego tables) dedicated to Legos.

You could say we're into Legos.

Also as a kid this was my first big Lego set. LOVED IT, but pieces went missing and eventually was sold with the rest of our Lego.

View attachment 49311
Wow, this brings back memories. My dad passed away from cancer when I was young, but I still remember dragging out this set every year and putting it together with him. Thanks for mentioning something that I haven't thought about for a long time.

Shit man, now you have me crying at work over fuckin Legos. :p

I usually pick up one or two sets each year. And it's tough to say no when my nephew asks "Uncle Josh, will you play Legos with me?" Uhhh, duh kid. Of course!

This is my all time favorite though. I got it for Christmas when I was in elementary school. I must've built this thing a hundred times. The little treasure chest and barrel with the gold coins was SO COOL! Hahaha. I think (hope) this one is still in my parents' basement :)

45.jpg

Another big Lego family here, both of our boys (7 & 10) are really into them (especially the younger one). He's got some of the bigger sets, including the Death Star, which he got for Christmas last year:

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, we have a big setup in the basement where we combine their Lionel trains with Legos. Last year was Harry Potter vs Star Wars :D

In addition to the assembled sets, we have a dozen large boxes with loose bricks and plates, they're constantly building their own creations. My house is littered with Legos - they're displayed in just about every room, and we had to install 3 new bookshelves in my youngest's sons room to make room to display his sets. If I had a dollar for every time I stepped on one, it would likely fund an entry into the WSOP main event...

I usually pick up one or two sets each year. And it's tough to say no when my nephew asks "Uncle Josh, will you play Legos with me?" Uhhh, duh kid. Of course!

This is my all time favorite though. I got it for Christmas when I was in elementary school. I must've built this thing a hundred times. The little treasure chest and barrel with the gold coins was SO COOL! Hahaha. I think (hope) this one is still in my parents' basement :)

45.jpg

Don't forget when they put springs in the cannons to make them actually fire!

I have a ton of Legos that my parents were nice enough to hang on to. Lucky for me I have two nephews who are getting to the appropriate age and wanting to play with them, so I get to jump in and "help" sometimes. Hopefully my daughter will take a liking to them when she's older. These things are timeless (and not getting any less expensive as well).

Ahh, very cool. I have an LGB setup from my youth (80's-era stuff) in storage that I have not been able to part with yet. If I ever get a place where we host Christmas it will probably go around the tree for a month out of each year.

Adult that is still a huge fan of Lego...

So much so that I actually started doing artwork using LEGO about 5 years ago as one medium to work with.
Here is a portrait I did that measures 15" x 30".

LMK what you think!

11063616_365846100272700_6538532021165617061_n.jpg

That's awesome. How long does that take?

That's awesome. How long does that take?

Thanks so much !!!
Those are actually my kiddos...

From beginning to end, it took about a week in my "spare" time.
I start with a photo and then manipulate to basically make my own instruction sheet.
Then if I don't already have the pieces, put in an order, wait for shipping, and then put together.

I also do colleges and characters from pop culture!

10402592_468267670030542_7563995745205623424_n.jpg

Yes!!! I didn't have that exact one, but plenty from the same Pirates range. I loved the gold coins in the chest! And those little monkeys!

Back story... When I was a kid, I spent every spare dollar from my paper route on Legos. I was a true lego maniac. I had a 20 gallon garbage can filled to the brim with Legos. Huge. Then one year, my mom said that because I hadn't touched the Legos in a year, she was selling them at a garage sale. No begging, pleading, kicking or screaming helped. The Legos were gone, and I was traumatized... And it didn't help that she gave them away for $20...

That is a horror story :(

Couple of progress shots, just because :)

Got 99% through this motor/gearbox and realised I made a mistake and had to dismantle it haha whoops.

20160723_173336.jpg

20160723_173845.jpg

I can see this becoming addictive :)

Sorry, three posts in a row... Too keen! :oops:

Last edited:
Forgot about this thread. I have the Saturn V sitting in my house waiting for some free hours. This might be the weekend for it.

I used to play Legos a lot as a kid. I was quickly bored with building models by the manual but I had a lot of fun making my own stuff with all the bricks I had. Quite a lot of Lego Technic among that, unfortunately never had this big Mindstorms computer brick.

Probably would still play with them today hadn't I shifted my place of creativity to the computer over time... I don't really have a need for them anymore. If my fingers start itching, I still build some stuff. Just that it's some hobby software project or some graphical design now instead of a Lego model :p

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom