Ketogenic Way of eating... (6 Viewers)

Do you like eggs? I mean really like eggs.

This is why I was successful with the low carb diet 25 years ago. I love eggs. Probably a top 5, maybe top 3 food choice of mine. I already eat them 3-5 times a week. I like them cooked about any which way.

You can't cheat (much) if you want to see results. It typically takes a couple of days to clear your system of carbs and get into ketosis, where the fat burning really starts. If you're cheating even as in frequently as once a week, your body is constantly flipping back and forth between burning sugar and fat, and you just won't lose the weight.

Having scheduled cheat days (or even just cheat meals) is almost a must for me. It gives me short term goals/rewards to work towards. As of now, my wife and I have date night once or twice a week. It usually consists of beer, beer, and well.........burgers and fries, pizza, deep fried shit, ect....

What do you (or anyone) think of a scheduled cheat meal (not a cheat day), once every two weeks?

Having scheduled cheat days (or even just cheat meals) is almost a must for me. It gives me short term goals/rewards to work towards. As of now, my wife and I have date night once or twice a week. It usually consists of beer, beer, and well.........burgers and fries, pizza, deep fried shit, ect....

What do you (or anyone) think of a scheduled cheat meal (not a cheat day), once every two weeks?

I've found that I can do a relatively light cheat meal (a couple of beers or a small ice cream) with little detriment to the diet. But a full cheat day with a bunch of shit like cake and bread and pizza definitely will. I think that varies a lot per person though, and also depends what else you're eating that day. I honestly would recommend you shoot for going completely clean at least the first month or two, then work some cheat days in. Swap in some (more) bourbon for the beers for a few months.

I honestly would recommend you shoot for going completely clean at least the first month

Giving up beer won't be that much of a challenge. I'm definitely more of a bourbon guy anyways. I rarely drink more than one shelf of bourbon a week. Its the "date nights" that will be tough.

My "plan" is to start after I get back from @Jeff meet up. Stay on it hard and fast until the All in at the Alamo with @David O I'm going to be there for 5 days. I'll try and be disciplined, but no way will I be able to attend a meet up in San Antonio and not partake in some BBQ and beers. What I don't want to do is wait until that is over to start it. I need....want, to do something now.

I fucking love bread!!! I usually eat a low carb bread. Even then, two slices is still 12 net carbs. I'll have to cut that shit out as well...........Oh, and then pasta, mmmmmm, pizza...........mmmmmm

This is why I was successful with the low carb diet 25 years ago. I love eggs. Probably a top 5, maybe top 3 food choice of mine. I already eat them 3-5 times a week. I like them cooked about any which way.

I eat eggs with EVERYTHING, and not just for breakfast, either -- eggs and bacon, eggs and sausage (a half-dozen or mor types available), eggs and ham, eggs and pork chops, eggs and steak, eggs and chicken, eggs and pulled pork, eggs and turkey, eggs and pizza (toppings/cheese only), eggs and shrimp/crab, eggs and chicken salad, and on and on. I typically go for eggs over-medium; that's over 15 different meals right there. Same combos for pairing with scrambled, and another 15 for omelettes. I cook up a large package of bacon at one time and keep it in the fridge for snacks, along with a minimum half-dozen hard-boiled eggs.

I also always have several different types of cheese on hand (typically smoked gouda, provalone, colby/jack, pepper jack, and mozzarella, parmesan, and cheddar) and an assortment of cold cuts and deli meats. Plus I keep a supply of raw broccoli and cauliflower cut up to dunk in bleu cheese dressing, and a supply of fruit cup sugar/carb-free jello and sugar-free pudding cups. I'm never at a loss for something to eat if I get hungry.

I'm currently experimenting with making my own baked cheese snacks, which are great solo for snacking, or with dips/salsa, or as cracker and crouton substitutes. Thanks to @WedgeRock for the heads-up on those -- you can buy 'em, but damn they are expensive. Cheddar/jack are the fav so far, but it's a work in progress. Picked up three new cheeses today to try.

I eat eggs with EVERYTHING, and not just for breakfast, either -- eggs and bacon, eggs and sausage (a half-dozen or mor types available), eggs and ham, eggs and pork chops, eggs and steak, eggs and chicken, eggs and pulled pork, eggs and turkey, eggs and pizza (toppings/cheese only), eggs and shrimp/crab, eggs and chicken salad, and on and on. I typically go for eggs over-medium; that's over 15 different meals right there. Same combos for pairing with scrambled, and another 15 for omelettes. I cook up a large package of bacon at one time and keep it in the fridge for snacks, along with a minimum half-dozen hard-boiled eggs.

I also always have several different types of cheese on hand (typically smoked gouda, provalone, colby/jack, pepper jack, and mozzarella, parmesan, and cheddar) and an assortment of cold cuts and deli meats. Plus I keep a supply of raw broccoli and cauliflower cut up to dunk in bleu cheese dressing, and a supply of fruit cup sugar/carb-free jello and sugar-free pudding cups. I'm never at a loss for something to eat if I get hungry.

I'm currently experimenting with making my own baked cheese snacks, which are great solo for snacking, or with dips/salsa, or as cracker and crouton substitutes. Thanks to @WedgeRock for the heads-up on those -- you can buy 'em, but damn they are expensive. Cheddar/jack are the fav so far, but it's a work in progress. Picked up three new cheeses today to try.

Watch out for those Deli meats if doing hard core keto, lots of hidden trash in them including sugar if you are not careful, I love them also, but everyone says to avoid them as much as possible.

Also if you or a friend have costco I just discovered "Whisps" this weekend, they are Parmesan chips with 2 ingredients (parm and salt), Freaking Amazing. The big bag was 6 bucks which is kinda pricey but I believe it had 10 servings in it.

Lately I have been on a massive fish kick, blackened shrimp, blackened Mahi, pretty much anything I can get my hands on blackened over a salad or on a low carb wrap from publix. Little mayo, some shredded cheese and lettuce on a carb balance tortilla = heaven.

I am finally a few pounds away from 50 down in 5 months. Still want to lose another 50 from there, but this will be Goal 1 or 2 accomplished finally!

Watch out for those Deli meats if doing hard core keto, lots of hidden trash in them including sugar if you are not careful, I love them also, but everyone says to avoid them as much as possible.

Also if you or a friend have costco I just discovered "Whisps" this weekend, they are Parmesan chips with 2 ingredients (parm and salt), Freaking Amazing. The big bag was 6 bucks which is kinda pricey but I believe it had 10 servings in it.

Lately I have been on a massive fish kick, blackened shrimp, blackened Mahi, pretty much anything I can get my hands on blackened over a salad or on a low carb wrap from publix. Little mayo, some shredded cheese and lettuce on a carb balance tortilla = heaven.

I am finally a few pounds away from 50 down in 5 months. Still want to lose another 50 from there, but this will be Goal 1 or 2 accomplished finally!
Congrats, I know you had some rough times during that stretch.

I'm mostly doing hard salami and italian-type meats, not sugar-laden ham/turkey etc. Everything is zero or near-zero sugar or it doesn't go in the cart.

Whisps is what I'm making and experimenting with -- baked cheese snacks. Try throwing some teaspoon heaps of shredded parm or shredded cheddar onto a parchment-covered cookie sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes at 400 degrees. Provalone slices also bake up nicely in around 5 minutes.

Congrats, I know you had some rough times during that stretch.

I'm mostly doing hard salami and italian-type meats, not sugar-laden ham/turkey etc. Everything is zero or near-zero sugar or it doesn't go in the cart.

Whisps is what I'm making and experimenting with -- baked cheese snacks. Try throwing some teaspoon heaps of shredded parm or shredded cheddar onto a parchment-covered cookie sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes at 400 degrees. Provalone slices also bake up nicely in around 5 minutes.

Love it. Without cheese this diet would be nearly impossible! I don't know how people do the carnivore diet.

I fell off the keto wagon a few weeks ago after my wife's foot surgery. I could blame it on a million things, but if I'm honest with myself, I made the decision to let it slide. While not eating keto has made my hectic life a little easier in some ways, I have also gained back about 10 of the 35 pounds I lost since the beginning of the year.

I'm headed to WCB this week, and I'm not going to worry about it until then, but Monday I'm back on the wagon. I have a half marathon to run in November, and I'd like to be 30-40 pounds lighter by then.

I fucking love bread!!! I usually eat a low carb bread. Even then, two slices is still 12 net carbs. I'll have to cut that shit out as well...........Oh, and then pasta, mmmmmm, pizza...........mmmmmm
Hey Bill,
The hardest part in my opinion is reaching your desired goal. Once you get there I believe it gets easier to stay there or at least stay in a range your comfortable with. Your motivation to stay at your goal will most likely be seeing what you’ve accomplished.
Once you reach your desired weight, you can experiment with what works for you and what doesn’t.
Let’s say you jump off the wagon one weekend and indulge a bit. You might put back on 5-10lbs. But if you jump back on the wagon for a few days, eat right and maybe throw in a couple swims or some walks, that 5-10 will melt right off.
Everyone is different and our bodies will react in different ways to the diet. It is possible to find a happy medium once you’ve reached your goal and your body has become accustomed to your new habits.
Several years ago I would have never eaten those delicious Dom’s Donuts you have there in Ypsilanti. (Best donuts ever by the way) But I now know how to indulge a bit when I want and not go totally off the rails.
What’s worked best for me the last 8 years or so is that I try and eat right during the week and indulge a little on the weekend. I also get a little gym time in on the weekend. About an hours worth of some form of cardio and about an hours worth of strength training. You don’t have to lift heavy, just enough to give your muscles and lungs a little burn.
Swimming for you would probably give you the entire burn all at once. In the end, it’s just about what works. Best wishes with it my friend, YOU CAN DO IT! :tup:

it’s great seeing all these positive results from everyone! update on my progress. only lost a pound while camping, went to a high school reunion when we got back, did great. hard liquor and club soda/lime all night. meat, cheese, and salad.
(man, does keto affect your alcohol tolerance! good times were had by all, but i suspect i was referred to as “that guy” more than once lol)
....woke up feeling fine, and weight was unchanged..then the hangover won and i went on a dirty burger king binge the following night, gained 5 pounds back just from that slip (salt?). the good news is, went right back to it, lost the 5 and another 2 for a total of 18 and counting since june 20th. i convinced the girlfriend to join me, which makes it so much easier to stay on track. she’s down 5 this week, and happy. we’re going to hit the gym hard this week and see what that does for progress.

My many month update (7.5 months). Weighed in at 211 yesterday. Long way from the 260- 2 weeks before Christmas 2018! Been in the process of moving and switching jobs over the last few months. Lot of eating out, but have managed to keep a lose keto diet. Maintaining very well. Had to cut down on bacon. For a little stretch was getting heart palpitations, to much sodium? Reducing bacon to only a few times a week and taking a Potassium supplement helped that.

My many month update (7.5 months). Weighed in at 211 yesterday. Long way from the 260- 2 weeks before Christmas 2018! Been in the process of moving and switching jobs over the last few months. Lot of eating out, but have managed to keep a lose keto diet. Maintaining very well. Had to cut down on bacon. For a little stretch was getting heart palpitations, to much sodium? Reducing bacon to only a few times a week and taking a Potassium supplement helped that.
I never had this happen but everything I've read said INCREASING salt and fluids should help. It's easy to get dehydrated on keto as you flush toxins and minerals. Make sure you drink a ton of water and get plenty of electrolytes

Day 1. Weighed in at 210. Which is way too big for me.

Im not doing keto, but I am going to do 20 carbs a day until I reach my goal. Then i'll tweek things to maintain my weight.

Breakfast was half of a bacon, cheese, and red onion omelette.

20190721_090750.jpg

Day 1. Weighed in at 210. Which is way too big for me.

Im not doing keto, but I am going to do 20 carbs a day until I reach my goal. Then i'll tweek things to maintain my weight.

Breakfast was half of a bacon, cheese, and red onion omelette.

View attachment 313154
Good for you my friend. Best wishes and stay focused. :)

Saw 17x on the scale for the first time today (first time in 40+ years, anyway). Danced a little jig. :bag:

Lol. 17x... I remember pre-drinking age. That was the last time I was 17x.

I thought you started at 240, @BGinGA. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but either way, congrats!

I thought you started at 240, @BGinGA. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but either way, congrats!

The last time I weighed 175 was in 1987 while I was in Basic Training. I haven't weighed less than 190 in the last 20 years. My target weight is 190. Then I'll re evaluate and possible work on hitting 180.

Today is day 3. I'm down three pounds. I know its lol water weight. I'll take it. SUN morning I weighed in at 211. Which is way to fricken much for a 5'10 build.

The last time I weighed 175 was in 1987 while I was in Basic Training. I haven't weighed less than 190 in the last 20 years. My target weight is 190. Then I'll re evaluate and possible work on hitting 180.

Today is day 3. I'm down three pounds. I know its lol water weight. I'll take it. SUN morning I weighed in at 211. Which is way to fricken much for a 5'10 build.
200 by this Sunday! Keep walking the dogs!

The PD has a physical trainer. I met with him this morning to get a handful of stretches and core building exercises to help improve my lower back problems.

Yeah, I haven't been under 180 since my early 20's. Hell, I wrestled at 119 in high school :eek: but I was a scrawny stick.

Started out this time at 225 or so, so I'm 40+ lbs lighter so far.

Kinda nice not carrying around two bowling balls and a six-pack of extra weight. My lower back, knees, and feet all really appreciate it. I need a new work belt though -- I've moved in four notches and even had to add a new hole. :)

Yeah, I haven't been under 180 since my early 20's. Hell, I wrestled at 119 in high school :eek: but I was a scrawny stick.

Started out this time at 225 or so, so I'm 40+ lbs lighter so far.

Kinda nice not carrying around two bowling balls and a six-pack of extra weight. My lower back, knees, and feet all really appreciate it. I need a new work belt though -- I've moved in four notches and even had to add a new hole. :)
Love it! I need to add a new whole to my belt to!

Day 5. Im down 3-4 pounds. Wow, is my stomach sure feeling better. I have diverticulitis. This diet really seems to be helping. Im sure cutting out shitty restaurant dinner choices and the beer had helped tremendously.

I've always drank a lot of water, but I'm drinking even more now. Probably starting 80 ounces of water and 20-30 ounces of black coffee.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom