Is there a thread somewhere about building a dining top for an existing table?

DoubleEagle

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a trade secret. I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you.

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
You can't quite get the full length needed for the skirt with two 8' long cut-off pieces of plywood. Those gaps are eventually filled in with 2 filler pieces, and for this topper I used a little piece of decorative molding to hide the 4 seams.
No problem. My wife has already killed me several times.

That is what I thought. Just curious about mounting the joining piece externally rather than try to butting the insert to the kerf cut pieces. Butting together may be difficult to make look good.

Irish

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem. My wife has already killed me several times.

That is what I thought. Just curious about mounting the joining piece externally rather than try to butting the insert to the kerf cut pieces. Butting together may be difficult to make look good.

Yep, that's what those little molding pieces are for, hiding that joint where the filler pieces butt up again the arc pieces. Even when gluing them into the channel, getting them fully lined up is tough and just doesn't look great.

Flawed_Titan

High Hand
Reaction score
That's a trade secret. I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you.

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
You can't quite get the full length needed for the skirt with two 8' long cut-off pieces of plywood. Those gaps are eventually filled in with 2 filler pieces, and for this topper I used a little piece of decorative molding to hide the 4 seams.
Did you use edge banding on the octo-stretch table you posted?

Irish

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you use edge banding on the octo-stretch table you posted?
Yep, on the edges of the main piece. As long as you hit the corners with some sand paper (it should feel like a solid piece of wood when you're done), I've never had an issue with edge banding. I've installed hundreds of feet of it over the years :)

monkeydog

Straight
Reaction score
My ultra simple method.
B4D8F8C0-4A2E-4B77-B3D8-97964559E037.jpeg

04158D32-5996-46AF-980F-1DF3D4940A46.jpeg

I put a table cloth over top when the topper is on, with a sheet underneath to protect the rail.

Topper comes apart in three pieces - ends have the 1x4 glued and screwed to them, with the 1x4 extending 6” past the plywood. The middle section has 1x4 in the middle and has insert nuts to screw a machine screw into that ties the table together.
This was my prototype and is rough - I need to clean up some measurements to make it better on the final version, but it served its purpose - easy to put on and take off, no damage to the rail, and functional as a dining room table.

Top Bottom