I Quit My Job To Play Poker AMA (2 Viewers)

Vanity plate has arrived!

knishplate.jpg

Min buyin at 5/10/25 and have a crazy asian raising blind preflop with a ton of chips in front of him, was easy to slotboom his ass

View attachment 385067
Just curious the significance of pointing out their race? I do know Asians who play crazy and recognize that there's a gambling problem in my community. Not offended, but genuinely curious if it adds value to the actual hand histories. I see it often, where HH start with young crazy asian or MAWG(middle aged white guy), but how much influence does it actually have?

Just curious the significance of pointing out their race? I do know Asians who play crazy and recognize that there's a gambling problem in my community. Not offended, but genuinely curious if it adds value to the actual hand histories. I see it often, where HH start with young crazy asian or MAWG(middle aged white guy), but how much influence does it actually have?

Well, certain ages, ethnicities, etc have stereotypes in poker for a reason

Old man coffee, headphone and backpack wearing pro, etc. Just used to seeing those in other hand histories and it's how I've typically done it

Well, certain ages, ethnicities, etc have stereotypes in poker for a reason

Old man coffee, headphone and backpack wearing pro, etc. Just used to seeing those in other hand histories and it's how I've typically done it
As a crazy Asian poker player, I'm deeply offended.

Seems like a recipe for major swings to buy into PLO for 20bb.

Read slotbooms book. You can get it in where you could triple or quadruple up, while big stacks apply pressure and get you headsup

So even if you're 40% equity, if it goes headsup you are getting 3:1 or more while only having to beat one player

Where do you play ?
Which limits and games are you playing ?

GL in your new endeavor ?

My main game is 2/5 PLO with a $10 rock

I also short stack a 5/10 game with a 25 rock if the lineup is good

And there is a 1/2 game with a $5 mandatory button straddle and unlimited restraddles once per week that is really good

I also play 30/60 limit mixed games, although lately the lineup has not been favorable so I've mostly stuck to PLO which has been blowing up (the other night we had three 5/10 and three 2/5 and one 1/2 game running!)

I mostly play at Tampa Hard Rock

Read slotbooms book. You can get it in where you could triple or quadruple up, while big stacks apply pressure and get you headsup

So even if you're 40% equity, if it goes headsup you are getting 3:1 or more while only having to beat one player
You could have the same thing happen playing short in NL, but very unlikely. Is it somehow more likely in PLO?

You could have the same thing happen playing short in NL, but very unlikely. Is it somehow more likely in PLO?

PLO hand equities generally run closer together preflop than hold em hands, and people are more likely to call preflop to see the flop in my experience

So if I get it in short, there's a good chance I might have to only beat 1 hand at showdown while getting 4 to 1 on my money

Get in those spots enough times and you're printing money

PLO hand equities generally run closer together preflop than hold em hands, and people are more likely to call preflop to see the flop in my experience

So if I get it in short, there's a good chance I might have to only beat 1 hand at showdown while getting 4 to 1 on my money

Get in those spots enough times and you're printing money

It’s very true, and you get to realize all of your equity this way. Often times better hands fold because they have to protect their stack and their made hand isn’t that strong. So sometimes a one pair ends up being the winning hand because the big draw raised everyone else out and missed.

The down side is that you are often a 30-40% chance to win and you don’t hit. Variance can be very tough. I have been having this happen to me a lot this year!!!!

How many hands of poker do you average in a month?

When thinking about your results, do you have a way to account for variance? For example do you as a live player try to estimate your EV corrected results (all-in with cards to come)? The most reliable measurement of how my online gameplay is, I’ve found to be EV corrected bb won / 100 hands. Over the last 40k hand sample size it’s very different from my actual winnings (and almost equally different to the opposite direction of my EV corrected winnings, since I play different stakes).

How many hands of poker do you average in a month?

When thinking about your results, do you have a way to account for variance? For example do you as a live player try to estimate your EV corrected results (all-in with cards to come)? The most reliable measurement of how my online gameplay is, I’ve found to be EV corrected bb won / 100 hands. Over the last 40k hand sample size it’s very different from my actual winnings (and almost equally different to the opposite direction of my EV corrected winnings, since I play different stakes).

I'm not counting my hands but I do track hours which is generally around 40/week. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

I try to maintain a balance outside of poker, plus I don't want to play to the point of fatigue and make mistakes, since one or two hands per session can really make or break you

As far as the results of hands I play, I use the cardplayer.com tool to check what my equity was when the money went in

I guess something like 20-25 hands per hour could be a rough estimate for live play?

I think as a live cash player it's really hard to take variance into account, since often you won't even see your opponents' hands, but at the same time people should not rely on pure results to know how they are doing. So I'm glad you take the time to go through hands afterwards. I do suggest you take a look at propokertools for running simulations, if you haven't already. I also completely agree that you should never play fatigued, and that a single mistake in a big pot can have a huge impact on your bottom line.

I guess something like 20-25 hands per hour could be a rough estimate for live play?

I think as a live cash player it's really hard to take variance into account, since often you won't even see your opponents' hands, but at the same time people should not rely on pure results to know how they are doing. So I'm glad you take the time to go through hands afterwards. I do suggest you take a look at propokertools for running simulations, if you haven't already. I also completely agree that you should never play fatigued, and that a single mistake in a big pot can have a huge impact on your bottom line.

Yes, I would say 20-25 is a decent estimate of hands per hour in the PLO games. We have some dealers that are fantastic and we have some dealers that couldn't deal themselves out of a paper bag so it can vary, but on the whole most of them are good enough and the players for the most part help keep the game moving, track the pot size in case the dealer doesn't, etc.

Here's another :tup: for Propokertools.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom