Hunting Thread - Any hunters in here? (1 Viewer)

RainmanTrail

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Not talking about chip hunting or "rabbit hunting", I'm talking about actual hunting. I've been wanting to go elk hunting for a long time now, but have never been. Any avid hunters around here? Where should I start? Would it be frowned upon if I threw the elk in the back of my Prius after processing it? OK, I don't really own a Prius. But I do live in California, and the last time I faced off with an elk I was hiking by myself after dark, armed with a water bottle.

Lol, throw. You don’t throw anything on a elk hunt
Average stats

COW:​

• 500 pounds (225 kg) (Tule elk: 300 lbs., Roosevelt’s elk: 600 lbs.)
  • 4 1/2 feet (1.3 m) at the shoulder
  • 6 1/2 feet (2 m) from nose to tail

BULL:​

• 700 pounds (315 kg) (Tule elk: 400 lbs., Roosevelt’s elk: 900 lbs.)
  • 5 feet (1.5 m) at the shoulder
  • 8 feet (2.4 m) from nose to tail
I know you don’t mean literally, but they are huge animals to do anything with. You have to pull out all the insides with your hands and that’s a lot. Then you have to get it out of wherever - probably carrying it - look at the weight again. It’s not a trivial thing to do this.

If I had to bet everything I own on the last person I'd expect to start a hunting thread.....

I'd be living in a box under a bridge

Lol, you'd be surprised. I might be a Silicon Valley liberal math geek, but I was raised as a redneck. I'm pro 2nd amendment (with common sense limitations that is). I grew up shooting (guns and arrows). Always wanted to go hunting, just never got the opportunity.

Avid hunter, yes. Elk hunting, I would strongly recommend a paid guided hunting trip. It's not as surreal as going out in the woods and doing it all yourself, but its alot safer and you will have assistance with the more challenging parts (like actually getting the animal off the mountain)

But do you have the balls to go hunting for kangaroo
IMG_20210105_071814.jpg

I live near a state park with public hunting. During deer season there are hunting pickups everywhere. In many years the ONLY time I have seen a deer carried out it was on tailgate rack on the back of a Prius. Can make that up.

I’m not a hunter personally but support the activity for those who are and do so responsibly. If I was going after something as big as an elk, esp without a lot of experience, I’d 100% use a guide. Probably the kind of guide who would also make me some mean camp chow and make sure it was accompanied by an appropriate wine. Also help with processing the animal. Doing that right is both an art and a science.

Spending the $$$$$$ would be worth it for the experience, safety, success, and staying legal.

Also, on another note since you mentioned it - be sure to take the right caliber gun with you if you do book a trip. Too often I see people take their average guns out and not be successful. I would venture they have guns you can rent, but if you have your own (that will have the knockdown power you need) I would take that over renting one (personal opinion)

Lol, throw. You don’t throw anything on a elk hunt
Average stats

COW:​

• 500 pounds (225 kg) (Tule elk: 300 lbs., Roosevelt’s elk: 600 lbs.)
  • 4 1/2 feet (1.3 m) at the shoulder
  • 6 1/2 feet (2 m) from nose to tail

BULL:​

• 700 pounds (315 kg) (Tule elk: 400 lbs., Roosevelt’s elk: 900 lbs.)
  • 5 feet (1.5 m) at the shoulder
  • 8 feet (2.4 m) from nose to tail
I know you don’t mean literally, but they are huge animals to do anything with. You have to pull out all the insides with your hands and that’s a lot. Then you have to get it out of wherever - probably carrying it - look at the weight again. It’s not a trivial thing to do this.

Yes I very much realize they're big. I wasn't joking when I said I faced off against one on a hike. I came up over a blind hill at night and startled an entire herd when I was hiking in northern California a few years back (probably about 75 elk or so in the herd). They all scattered except for the alpha bull. He walked right up to me (well, about 15-20 ft away) and stood as tall as he could and just stared me down. I just sat down on a rock and tried to look disinterested. Fucker scared the shit out of me lol. He was massive. Roosevelt elk. No way he wasn't at least 1000 lbs (I wouldn't be surprised if he was 1200+ lbs) and without question more than 10 ft long and probably 8 or 9 feet tall. No exaggeration. He was the alpha male of one of the largest protected Roosevelt elk herds in the country. You can't hunt these elk, so they get massive. And he was the biggest one. Basically, whatever the largest possible elk there is on earth, he was it. I've been within 10 ft of a few other elk before, in both California and Yellowstone. They were probably half his size. I stared off against him for a good 30 minutes just waiting for him to move so I could get through. He wouldn't budge. I ended up having to walk around him on a narrow flat area with a cliff off to the side. Scary shit. Pretty epic encounter. Certainly one I'll never forget.

I hit one with my car a couple of years ago, does that count? (it died)

Yes I very much realize they're big. I wasn't joking when I said I faced off against one on a hike. I came up over a blind hill at night and startled an entire herd when I was hiking in northern California a few years back (probably about 75 elk or so in the herd). They all scattered except for the alpha bull. He walked right up to me (well, about 15-20 ft away) and stood as tall as he could and just stared me down. I just sat down on a rock and tried to look disinterested. Fucker scared the shit out of me lol. He was massive. Roosevelt elk. No way he wasn't at least 1000 lbs (I wouldn't be surprised if he was 1200+ lbs) and without question more than 10 ft long and probably 8 or 9 feet tall. No exaggeration. He was the alpha male of one of the largest protected Roosevelt elk herds in the country. You can't hunt these elk, so they get massive. And he was the biggest one. Basically, whatever the largest possible elk there is on earth, he was it. I've been within 10 ft of a few other elk before, in both California and Yellowstone. They were probably half his size. I stared off against him for a good 30 minutes just waiting for him to move so I could get through. He wouldn't budge. I ended up having to walk around him on a narrow flat area with a cliff off to the side. Scary shit. Pretty epic encounter. Certainly one I'll never forget.
That’s crazy. I’m sure it was wild experience.

White tail deer are not very big but I was hiking once in Shenandoah and stopped by a tree to take a leak. A deer that was 20 feet away perked up and ran over. Apparently they like the salt in urine. Well, this one tried to drink from the fountain and let me just tell you when a wild animal trys to drink from your fountain you are going to make some crazy noises and do a shuffle like nothing you have ever seen. I barked like a dog and peed all over myself trying to get away. Haven’t trusted deer ever since.

Why not start with something smaller (rabbit? squirrel?) and then move up. Gargantuan elk can be your step #5...or#10.
Rabbits fun, squirrel gets boring fast. I'm thinking its more of a nostalgia hunt than a regular thing. Elk is awesome to hunt and the scenery is amazing, but it can also be the worlds most exhausting and tear jerking hunt. Alot of times you'll see them but never close enough to get a shot. However, the meat will provide a years worth or more of food

If I had to bet everything I own on the last person I'd expect to start a hunting thread.....

I'd be living in a box under a bridge

You should have bet on me. I have no problem with other people hunting (although I don't want to think about it)....but I could NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS.

Marmots? Hell yes, I'd blast those little assholes into a million pieces. But I could never ever ever drop a deer or elk. Personally.

Not talking about chip hunting or "rabbit hunting", I'm talking about actual hunting. I've been wanting to go elk hunting for a long time now, but have never been. Any avid hunters around here? Where should I start? Would it be frowned upon if I threw the elk in the back of my Prius after processing it? OK, I don't really own a Prius. But I do live in California, and the last time I faced off with an elk I was hiking by myself after dark, armed with a water bottle.

Come up to BC. I have good hunting like 45 minutes from my house. I don't hunt much (never?) but I happened to go with a friend a few weeks ago. It was pretty cool if you like standing around outside quietly for hours on end. Honestly, it was fun just damn cold.

Practical hunting question

When you've dropped a big animal like a deer or bear, what do you pack out? I'm assuming it's everything but entrails that don't include liver, heart etc.

I tried elk last year. Kicked my butt, and the closest we got was a mile off. Those suckers love the tippy top of the highest mountains and move fast. Guided hunt would definitely be recommended for elk. I'd second getting an appropriate caliber and also being confident with it for a longer shot. Delicious meat though.

I brought my deer down on an ATV, but took it home in my WRX . Doubt an elk would fit.

Practical hunting question

When you've dropped a big animal like a deer or bear, what do you pack out? I'm assuming it's everything but entrails that don't include liver, heart etc.
With a deer you generally leave behind the inners in the woods (preferably in a creek or river), bring it home, hang, skin, and quarter it at home (if you do it yourself) if not, you do step a. and step b. is taking it to a game butcher for processing.
With an elk step a. still applies, but for the factor of sheer weight difference I would imagine skinning, quartering and deboning it in the location you shot it would be the way to go. Obviously an ATV or UTV is preferred but some areas of the mountain even they wont make it, plus walking is the quietest option to get close to them

*side note, livers hearts and other muscle tissue organs can be cooked and eaten. Although generally better to save it for the doggos

Guided hunt is the best way to go if you can afford it

went years ago with a buddy and it took the 2 of us 3 trips to get the elk to the car

remember some places you go as an out of stator you will have to win a hunting lottery to be able to go if you don't do a guided hunt

it is a great tasting meat and will fill a stand alone freezer real quick

Yes, but how big was he?

With a deer you generally leave behind the inners in the woods (preferably in a creek or river), bring it home, hang, skin, and quarter it at home (if you do it yourself) if not, you do step a. and step b. is taking it to a game butcher for processing.
With an elk step a. still applies, but for the factor of sheer weight difference I would imagine skinning, quartering and deboning it in the location you shot it would be the way to go. Obviously an ATV or UTV is preferred but some areas of the mountain even they wont make it, plus walking is the quietest option to get close to them

*side note, livers hearts and other muscle tissue organs can be cooked and eaten. Although generally better to save it for the doggos
That's what I'm talking about!:tup: So it's ideal conditions, your ATV is right there. You've gotten a deer. You open it up, drop out the entrails, load the hide, flesh and bones onto the ATV and pack up what exactly for the lucky dogs?

That's what I'm talking about!:tup: So it's ideal conditions, your ATV is right there. You've gotten a deer. You open it up, drop out the entrails, load the hide, flesh and bones onto the ATV and pack up what exactly for the lucky dogs?
Liver and heart usually, "muscle tissue organs" they can be cooked and high in protein, good snacks. Liver you can feed raw in very small portions, but for a dog that's not used to receiving raw meats, cooked usually prevents the runs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom