Hunting Thread - Any hunters in here? (1 Viewer)

Guided hunt is the best way to go if you can afford it

went years ago with a buddy and it took the 2 of us 3 trips to get the elk to the car

remember some places you go as an out of stator you will have to win a hunting lottery to be able to go if you don't do a guided hunt

it is a great tasting meat and will fill a stand alone freezer real quick
I'll echo the sentiments above. A guide is well worth it especially if you don't have friends that hunt. I didn't grow up hunting but since I've been in AZ I've been on quite a few trips. It can be a lot of hard work, fun, heartbreak, it runs the gamut. The guys/girls who are successful put in a ton of time and prepare all year for the hunt. They spend a lot of time in their units getting to know the lay of the land. It's really a lifestyle sport for them.

Each state has different rules regarding hunt permits or tags, where/when/how/and what you can hunt. In AZ and NM tags are distributed by lottery, are nearly impossible to get as an out of stater, and expensive. If you've got the cash the Native American tribes will sell tags and a guided hunt. You can probably pick your dates in the fall. Not sure what the regs are in CA. Other states like CO and ID have over the counter tags available, and different seasons.

First thing is to figure out where you want to go and understand the regulations.

Good Luck!

Liver and heart usually, "muscle tissue organs" they can be cooked and high in protein, good snacks. Liver you can feed raw in very small portions, but for a dog that's not used to receiving raw meats, cooked usually prevents the runs
No kidneys, stomachs or lungs for your best buddies in the whole world?

As a Chicagoan working at a large downtown human services nonprofit, most people are shocked to hear that I am a hunter. I wish I could go more often than I do year to year, but my job and deadlines often interfere with time in the woods. I bow hunt primarily whitetail and turkey in the spring when my schedule allows.

As a Chicagoan working at a large downtown human services nonprofit, most people are shocked to hear that I am a hunter. I wish I could go more often than I do year to year, but my job and deadlines often interfere with time in the woods. I bow hunt primarily whitetail and turkey in the spring when my schedule allows.

Bow hunting seems like it'd be the most rewarding experience to me. Definitely much more difficult though. But there's something about having that primitive connection to your food source that seems deeply fulfilling to me.

Bow hunting seems like it'd be the most rewarding experience to me. Definitely much more difficult though. But there's something about having that primitive connection to your food source that seems deeply fulfilling to me.
I’ve met bow hunters who’ve switched from gun hunting and they say they’d probably never go back. Most have cited the increased difficulty and proficiency required for bow hunting as the key factors in this. I can attest that it is quite difficult but an incredibly rewarding experience if done right.

Attachments

• D359DA52-45FD-4A48-80E0-BB226E14424D.jpeg
    D359DA52-45FD-4A48-80E0-BB226E14424D.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 73
Absolutely it is. I've only been on the bow for 2 years now, Ben has taught me so much. Practicing every day makes alot of difference. Cross bows nowadays if you have the money can shoot up to 100yds, I have a standard compound bow and got my first deer with it this year. It's an amazing feeling for sure, and alot more challenging. I had some cool experiences though being able to watch small bucks come in tailing 2 or 3 does, and gain some experience on their actions and reactions. I have a bad shoulder so I dont shoot at anything outside of a 20 yard radius for now, but I hope to at least work up to a 30 yard radius in the future. I would say it's a very fun hobby and if you have the time to dedicate to it, it is worth every minute of the practice. Plus, bow season comes much earlier than gun season (in MD) so you dont have to be miserably cold until about November, and you get a chance at velvet bucks

I like the fact that we are speaking about a more leveled playing field....smart, excellent young specimens should be preserved for creating a future generation.
With bow hunting you just get one chance...and even then you have to excel for a clean kill.

I'm not an active hunter (too many a-holes screwed things up in Belgium) but my doggy does hunt training every week and I love to be outside (esp. winter times).

Absolutely it is. I've only been on the bow for 2 years now, Ben has taught me so much. Practicing every day makes alot of difference. Cross bows nowadays if you have the money can shoot up to 100yds, I have a standard compound bow and got my first deer with it this year. It's an amazing feeling for sure, and alot more challenging. I had some cool experiences though being able to watch small bucks come in tailing 2 or 3 does, and gain some experience on their actions and reactions. I have a bad shoulder so I dont shoot at anything outside of a 20 yard radius for now, but I hope to at least work up to a 30 yard radius in the future. I would say it's a very fun hobby and if you have the time to dedicate to it, it is worth every minute of the practice. Plus, bow season comes much earlier than gun season (in MD) so you dont have to be miserably cold until about November, and you get a chance at velvet bucks
Do you hunt out of a stand or blind, or use spot and stalk?

For the record I used to hunt out of my 1990 Mazda Miata... seriously no joke!! I put a luggage rack on the truck for my climber and my gear in the passenger seat. I had a 10” downward firing sub in a custom box in the trunk... during hunting season I took that out so the ever would fit if I was successful and typically was, I used to kill 16 - 20 a year and now I just let Brie pull the trigger as she has the spark that has slightly faded for me. I just want meat in the freezer and don’t really care about the kill any more.

So quick story...

I was hunting Sika Deer on Marylands eastern shore “Maryland’s little ELK” in my Miata, I was successful and after dragging my harvest 1.5 miles through waist deep swamp all alone I didn’t get it of the woods till about midnight... these deer are small but in a Miata they still are a full load. I threw to deer in the truck and started my 2.5 hour trek home!

It wasn’t 15 minutes later I was pulled over by the county sheriff who walked up and shoved his pistol in my temple yelling “get out of the car and on the ground” I was compliant... He kept asking me “what’s if the F**KING TRUNK” over and over screaming at me. I told him it was a deer and taken legally. Apparently blood had ran down the trunk over my tag. They called out reinforcements and would not let me open the trunk. In the next hour their were 18 officers including off duty... just to open a trunk and verify it was a deer. Also the county photographer was there and photographed everything. They would not give me water of arag but would not let me leave until it was cleaned off... I had to use dew on the grass and a $300 hunting jacket to clean it off!! Awful night as I was flat out exhausted and didn’t get home until 5 am after a full day of hunting!

Some of my trophies
20170315_113754.jpg

Bow Kill 08
20170315_113740.jpg

Bow kill 2015
20170315_113759.jpg

Only nice buck woth a gun ever! Circa 2010 a Muzzle Loader Kill at 175yds
20170315_113318.jpg

Little guy! Unfortunately an asshole hunter called me a liar that I had passed on 2- 6 pointers (there are about 5 known 8 pointers ever killed but usually 6 is as big as they get) I told the guy I will eat the tag and kill one but you are eating its gender specific appendages! He said deal! I texted him that pic 10 minutes later and said hope you're hungry!! He never returned so we all are the twig and berries... it was not a pleasant experience. Lmao I know boys are gross!

I have killed a few!
20170315_112850.jpg

KIMG0659.JPG

20170710_220758.jpg

Second from right here is small, but in my family a double throat patch is a big deal, this is the best I had ever seen!
20170710_220806.jpg

The Living room
20170710_220649.jpg

And many more!! Lol

This one was fun! A Barnacle Goose from Greenland is what DNR called it. They said one in a million! I took it with a bow at 58 yds in late goose season in a tee shirt!
20170710_221054.jpg

My cousin calls me one afternoon and says "you will never believe what is in the feild... a freaking Piebald goose!" We had permission to hunt but bow only. We had waterfowl tags and were legal though I have never herd of anyone bird hunting with a bow before. He said "you are the only one I know that can pull this shot off" I drove over walked across the field and the entire flock started moving away... it was next to a public road, he yelled car (again we had permission but not trying to draw attention to the owners property) I had already drawn, so I laid for almost 2 minutes at draw. He said clear I had to guess the range because they were walking away. I put my 60 pin dead on him and let it fly!! I knew in the air it was a bulls eye!! Even with a broad head he made it out by the road... we grabbed him and threw him in the truck alive. My cousins house was only 2 minutes away so we rushed back and finished the job. We called DNR because we weren't even sure what it was or if its was legal. They came to the taxidermist shop and took pictures. They said it is the only one ever known to be killed in Maryland and perfectly legal!

The other is a fat ole gobbler obviously!! Lol

I was as avid hunter and have harvested many animals. I think the largest one was a black horn scimitar oryx which ended up being a gold medal that year in Texas. I have a Gold medal Black Buck Antelope as well. Several deer, Turkeys and Ducks. I have not hunted much in the past several years due to several changes in my life. I would like to go again sometime but just have not.

I will say that hunting large game is fun but probably the best and most sporting hunting is hunting wild turkey! Nothing like getting up in the morning all camoed up, locating the roost, setting up under a tree and calling in a big Tom. Next in line would be Duck Hunting for me. These two types of hunting can be work but much more sporting than sitting in a blind waiting for an animal to come feed. Not that I am opposed to hunting out of a blind but I do like a more sporting hunt.

Good luck Travis.

I find turkey hunting to be much more difficult than deer hunting. They just seem to be so much more aware of their surroundings. Never taken one... closest chance was when my brother and I called in a tom to about 50-60y which is on the edge of our bow range for an ethical shot.

You should try wild boar...insane how smart they are.
Loved pheasant & hare hunting too...but only with hunters I knew & trusted (can be little chaotic at times)

Her a little video that explains 100% why I love it...

My buddy Roy during training

1610124655576.png

Last edited:
You should try wild boar...insane how smart they are.
Loved pheasant & hare hunting too...but only with hunters I knew & trusted (can be little chaotic at times)
So true. My grandfather hunted pheasant and I’ve heard stories (often repeated!) of close calls with his buddies.

I find turkey hunting to be much more difficult than deer hunting. They just seem to be so much more aware of their surroundings. Never taken one... closest chance was when my brother and I called in a tom to about 50-60y which is on the edge of our bow range for an ethical shot.

I've almost gotten a few turkeys with my 9 iron on the golf course out here in San Jose.

We are lucky enough to have some land
Spend most time on upland birds. Some more time on deer. Have not had an chance for elk yet

I've shot one turkey, one of the hardest damn birds to hunt. I was hunting an open meadow bottom by a creek, walking the wood line in I jumped a hen and shot it in the air, it wasnt very far away so it was mostly bbs and feathers left...

Here's my buck from a few years ago, I honestly thought I shot a doe that was running with another doe, they were behind a path lined with trees and I barely squeezed the shot off between 2 trees. Never saw his head
20171204_162959.jpg

I've been on a not so great streak buck wise, lost a big one this year unfortunately, 4 does taken though so still stocking the freezer. We have our final 3 days of gun hunting left in Md today, tomorrow, and Sunday. I'll be in the tree stand in a few hours for this afternoon, and tomorrow afternoon. Not sure about Sunday yet, but probably. I'm hoping to see a buck worth shooting, as I don't want to take anymore doe from the herd this year. We have a big 4, he has no brow tines but he's a good looking even crab claw up top, I've seen him a dozen times this year and I'm hoping by next year he'll look a bit better

Yes, turkey hunting is tough but so much more rewarding when you harvest one. We always used to say, “ if a turkey could smell well, you would never get one”.
Yeah David...I imagine you were much more succesfull hunting Pink Flamingos aka spotted birds
How is the breeding project turning out ?

Great. I stopped after I culled out the non bird and now have a little over 1000.
You are the arc of David for Flamingo's...and only 100% blood line :)

Awsome stuff...one of the most epic $1 chips ever made

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom