Tourney How do you play it? (1 Viewer)

I think it's an easy shove if acting first, or when facing a bet/raise from one player. But when two players are already all-in - with equal stacks, no less - I think the circumstances make it an easy fold, regardless of stack size.

I was gonna let it simmer overnight, but I'm juts gonna reveal it now.

I looked down at JJ and made up my mind to push even before UTG+1 bet.

I had been watching UTG+1 (@ThePunk) shove or raise in reasonable situations with AK and AQ. He and I were at the same table most of the night (all night?) and we have a lot of table time together. He wasn't raising the BB light because the BB had such a monstrous chip lead; he had a reasonable hand but it could have been a smaller pair, large suited connectors (less likely), ace-face or a big pair.

Likewise, I have a ton of table time with the button (@detroitdad) and while he may get out of line when he's first to act, when he called, I figured he was at least a flip with UTG+1. He was not calling light here either. (I don't think button knew he had the same chip stack when he went AI... I think he thought he had him slightly covered.)

Action back to me and I considered a fold because I figured both UTG+1 and button had reasonable hands. In the end, realizing I was going to be pushing shortly with ATC, I decided to take a stand with JJ. The league points was insignificant enough in my mind, and $120 (a $40 profit) was not much of a factor either. If I could cripple both of them, I could probably squeak out 3rd place money ($160) if not hold on for second place ($240). But even if I won the hand, there was no guarantee that I'd finish 4th (UTG+1 and button could be playing the same hand and chop the secondary pot).

UTG+1 had AK
Button had TT

Flop was a blank, turn was a king, river was no help.

GG, me. Bubble, no money, 5th place points.

I haven't revealed the hands yet other than my own, but here's the equities (I don't remember suits, but I don't think it mattered -- I don't think anyone was holding suited card).

Interesting, I meant our equity vs the perceived range of our opponents.

I appreciate the comments, and I see the validity in a shove/call and a fold. I'm not sure how JJ is an "easy fold" when I had 3-5 BB's (IIRC, it was closer to 3 BB's). I was going to be on the BB in 4 hands and likely shoving with ATC rather than JJ. No antes in play, FYI.

The 3-5 bb stack we have I think leans us closer to a call, for the reason you mentioned. Very unlikely to be dealt a stronger hand before we are essentially blinded out.

here's some advice, just play premium hands, you only start with jacks or better if its good enough to call you've also got to be in there raising, tight but aggressive and I do mean aggressive, you've got to think of it as a war

here's some advice, just play premium hands, you only start with jacks or better if its good enough to call you've also got to be in there raising, tight but aggressive and I do mean aggressive, you've got to think of it as a war

You are officially never invited to our game again.

I gotta think 99-tt is the bottom of button's range here to call it off. That's pretty strong. I think I can pass jacks here knowing it means a probable cash. Think the opponents holdings were a best case for you here.

But I get that it sucks to be down to 3bb?how many bb on the table, would a triple up make you a chip leader?

If not, locking up 4th here seems like the best play.

I don't recall blinds, but I would guess there were 55ish BB's on the table.

And at the time I made the call, it was not confirmed that UTG+1 and Button had the same chip stack. Maybe I should have asked for a count (because then I would have known that one of them would likely knock the other out), but in my mind, I was shorter than both of them, so it didn't matter.

I don't recall blinds, but I would guess there were 55ish BB's on the table.

And at the time I made the call, it was not confirmed that UTG+1 and Button had the same chip stack. Maybe I should have asked for a count (because then I would have known that one of them would likely knock the other out), but in my mind, I was shorter than both of them, so it didn't matter.

This is such a close spot, hard to fault either way. But I think TT and AQ are clear folds here, and I'm not even sure QQ would even be a clear call, button call is just so strong with his stack here. I think I'm still on team muck here. I think it's fine to just call UTG+1, but it's so hard to overcall with the button's range of hands, you're basically hoping for TT, or hoping both opponents are sharing an A-hi.

I had already decided to post FOLD before I read to the end. Three ways you are likely about 40%, maybe less. Take the min cash and points.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom