How big is your list? (5 Viewers)

I’m on iOS... But still curious.

Screenshot_20180621-234138_Messages.jpg

I always send mine this way for the exact reason you said plus keeps list private for me.

So, “123” is your list, or the “1 other”? And selecting Group conversation prevents recipients from seeing replies except from you?

Normally you see peoples names there like joe, tom, bob and 10 others since cannot fit all. I just typed some garbage to take screenshot. If they are not in your phone then you would see the cell number instead of name ... and i have my A list in a group so just send it to them in 1 shot. Very easy.

Unless a similar feature has been added recently for iPhone, I don’t think I can do this except with pretty cumbersome workarounds. Looking for an app which might help.

Unless a similar feature has been added recently for iPhone, I don’t think I can do this except with pretty cumbersome workarounds. Looking for an app which might help.

Wow that is crazy, hope you find a way.

There are known workarounds, but these requires turning various settings on and off whenever you want to do it. Again, unless something changed recently. Then there are paid apps of varying quality/sketchiness.

...Biggest questions are (a) the most equitable point systems, and (b) how to commit people to playing the later tourneys if they are mathematically out of the running to win the WSOP ticket. Was thinking of some sort of profit-sharing incentive where if the player cashes for more than [X], a certain % gets kicked back to the group based on what proportion they contributed to the WSOP buy-in.
Our points are straight forward, but requires a set number of players. We have 10 players and all are contractually obligated to play all 12 games (or al least pay for all 12). We allow 3 substitutes to account for games where people can't play. Scoring is simply 10 points to 1st, 9 points 2nd, etc.

You are spot on with the % profit sharing. All 10 of us have an equal 10% share of any winnings. I will say that we are all close friends, so that gives us confidence in getting our winnings. Oh yeah...and the 8 page contract helps too.:whistle: :whistling:

We also pay out $550 each month we play, so that keeps the ones that are out coming back with some motivation to win money.

16 persons on the list and we play every second week with 7-10 players. It’s a social game so most important is to have a good time, poker is secondary. But still we try to have a serious game, it’s a good balance! Personally I’d like to have a cash game for players who busted in the tournament, but only about 6 people out of the 16 on the list enjoys cash game. Any tips on how to ”convert” players to enjoy cash game too?

Maybe start the cash stakes very low at first? I find there are some casual players who got started with tournaments who find the idea of cash intimidating... but at the right price it doesn’t have to be. Eventually once people get comfortable they’ll probably be the ones asking to up the stakes.

Maybe start the cash stakes very low at first? I find there are some casual players who got started with tournaments who find the idea of cash intimidating... but at the right price it doesn’t have to be. Eventually once people get comfortable they’ll probably be the ones asking to up the stakes.

Yeah I tried to suggest micro stakes but many won’t show up if I suggest cash game. Also tried to convince them that it’s the same as tourney but you don’t have to sit and watch or go home if you go bust. Feels like they are afraid of trying something new and are too comfortable with tournament... it’s not large sums we play for either; 25 usd buyin, one rebuy and addon.

31 on mine, usually have 16 come out, which is perfect for 2 tables.

My seasons start first Saturday of Jan. and I cut my list down every May if the people who I've invited don't respond or have decline up until that point. 5 months of declines obviously mean they are no longer interested.

I also have a pretty strict requirement for joining my league. First and foremost, in order to be a member, I have to be able to trust you alone inside my house. If I can't you don't ever play there.

And this is from my F.A.Q. on my website;

How do I get invited back?

• Best answers;

• Don’t be an asshole.

• Don’t put food or drinks on the tables … EVER!

• Play nice with others.

• Don’t slow play.

• Know the game.

• Engage in the banter at the tables.

• RESPECT my game and my property.

Last edited:
31 on mine, usually have 16 come out, which is perfect for 2 tables.

My seasons start first Saturday of Jan. and I cut my list down every May if the people who I've invited don't respond or have decline up until that point. 5 months of declines obviously mean they are no longer interested.

I also have a pretty strict requirement for joining my league. First and foremost, in order to be a member, I have to be able to trust you alone inside my house. If I can't you don't ever play there.

And this is from my F.A.Q. on my website;

How do I get invited back?

• Best answers;
    • Don’t be an asshole.

• Don’t put food or drinks on the tables … EVER!

• Play nice with others.

• Don’t slow play.

• Know the game.

• Engage in the banter at the tables.

• RESPECT my game and my property.

I assume "no slow play" means don't play slowly. Slow-playing Aces is strategy. Tanking over an easy fold is wasted time.

Our points are straight forward, but requires a set number of players. [...] Scoring is simply 10 points to 1st, 9 points 2nd, etc.

I’ve found wildly varying formulas for this kind of thing in my web searches. Do you find that having a system like that (10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1) is more favorable to a certain type of player?

I’m thinking this favors the careful player who does not take huge chances, and does not agrressively try to win it all, but instead makes sure to last longer than average. I could see someone winning the series without actually ever winning a session. If you placed 3rd or 4th every time, you might actually be top dog... Whereas more of a logarithmic scale would reward placing at the top and punish busting early, e.g. 30/20/10/6/5/4/3/2/1.

FWIW, I used to play in a weekly game which had a big end-of-year tournament based in a points system. A small amount was taken out of each week’s kitty toward the final game (usually a little before or after New Year’s). The point system was +6 for placing first, +3 for 2nd, +1 for 3rd, and +1 just for appearing. (So effectively, 7/4/2/1.) At the final game, your starting stack was a certain number of chips per point.

It was kind of a weird arrangement, as some players started the final tournament at an extreme disadvantage—as a result of their own consistently bad play... But it still seemed to drive really solid participation (two full tables, sometimes two tables of 10, every week). Even the terrible players didn’t want to miss their +1 for showing up. Also, it really put a premium on winning, not just finishing in the top 15-20%.

We have 10 players and all are contractually obligated to play all 12 games (or al least pay for all 12). We allow 3 substitutes to account for games where people can't play.

(a) What is the penalty for not paying? A dock in their percentage?

(b) The substitutes play on behalf of one of the 10?

(c) Would you be willing to share the contract language (either here, or by DM)?

Last edited:
P.S.—and I apologize for diverting this from the original topic, list size, but it is sort of related for me in terms of hosting—

The idea I am working on is a WSOP ticket at the end of the year, where profit sharing is 50% proportional to results, and 50% to participation. People could play as many or as few games as you like, but the more they play the higher their share. (To simplify accounting, I would have a cutoff point, say a minimum of 20% of games to get a share.)

That way, it is less of an issue if people miss games here and there, but it still encourages participation by a large group. You are in effect investing in the winner. People could even sell their shares to each other, once the winner was determined.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom