Home game hand (1 Viewer)

In all seriousness, you’re never going anywhere and he’s never folding. Y’all are destined to collide in this pot.

I agree with @grebe that checking is a mistake, but in this specific scenario, it’s not relevant to the hand.
Of course, but I'm hand analysis is not about this hand. It's about all the similar hands you will play in the future.

Hey I only saw this thread now! Too fast! I agree with @grebe, solvers dont generally trap and tend to fast play non-nutted but strong hands and generally only X nuts. You did not have the nuts on the flop so betting 1/2 pot would be the way to go IMHO. As played, you saw MP X to X/R which strongly suggests an inferior K or KJ; I think re-raising would have been the way to go here as played. I know its easy to armchair quarterback tho so next time give us more time to read and post!

Is it really a bad beat when there's still action to come?

As played up to the turn, could Hero have divined that Villain's all-in meant he had a boat, and then folded?

Is it really a bad beat when there's still action to come?

As played up to the turn, could Hero have divined that Villain's all-in meant he had a boat, and then folded?
What I really meant by "bad beat" is many times people will post these type hands for "sympathy points" not so much for critique for how the hand was played. I am not saying that losing here was necessarily a bad beat, as the OP allowed the V to catch up then got the money in bad.

*also of note, I think all the money goes in post flop regardless, but there is a big difference in HOW the hand is played from a strategy standpoint (i.e. if you find yourself in this spot 100 times, will you win your fair share of the equity). I think the OP could have played better to get his money in good, then got sucked out on, rather than calling it off once the V had caught up.

This is also why many players early on in these posts suggest too conservative of an approach....they know Armageddon is coming. "AKs? Fold that shit pre!"

I like this thought and take this line.

Additional info:
MP and CO both often talk while they play or talk so much they slow down the action. Both have stopped talking.

Hero checks
MP checks
CO bets .50

Hero decides to only call
MP: Whimsically states "let's at least make it a $1.00" and raises
CO calls

Action back to hero. Thoughts?
KJ os

This is also why many players early on in these posts suggest too conservative of an approach....they know Armageddon is coming. "AKs? Fold that shit pre!"
I think this point is actually really important...
When one of these hands gets posted it's really difficult to block out the expectation in the back of your mind that something bad/out of the ordinary is going to occur to make it worthy of posting/analysis.
And such "bad beats" are also more memorable, which is why people remember all the times their Aces were cracked more than the times they held up. (I certainly include myself in this. I still remember a few of those from 5 or 6 years ago, but no specific cases where they won). And I've sometimes caught myself doing the same thing in real life (just waiting for the hand to go wrong since I remember the times that has happened more vividly) and it's definitely a mistake to let that effect my decision making in any way.

Yeah, to me a bad beat is when an opponent makes a mistake and still draws out. If you let them draw out for value then they just beat you. Calling the hand down until after your behind isn't really a bad beat.

To amplify a point others have made either directly or obliquely…

On the flop, unless I had some very specific knowledge of the players which gave a reason not to, I would bet this hand UTG much the same way I would if I hadn’t smashed it.

As the UTG opener, I should have a very strong range.

To protect my whole opening range from early position, I am probably c-betting a good 75% of flops.

I don’t want opponents to exploit my early position, and I should have a lot of high pairs and strong Broadway combos.

If I only check when I either smash the flop, or I completely miss, that polarized range is too easy for opponents to play against, especially as the hand progresses.

I prefer to have them to be unsure in this spot if I am c-betting because I hit, or just because I was the preflop aggressor.

Now, if I know that for these specific players, they will fold to aggression but bet if I check, then sure, check to exploit them with a checkraise, or a delayed cbet on the turn.

The fact that this person sucked out is not a reason to be cautious in such spots. You’re winning a huge percentage of the time with that flop.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom