Home game hand (1 Viewer)

if they get excited, but miss possibilities I think I crying call and hope for an A

haha why are you assuming they are competent @toothpic
I don't, it's more of a question. They were labeled as LAG so if they are also competent players it would be more fishy regarding the check raise on the 0.50 bet. If I call or not here is heavily dependent on the player and history.

i mean do you think he could do this with Kx not realizing that he is beat by a lot of cards. Let's say KQ or KT

How much have they been drinking? :)

Do we think MPs play could be indicative of a hand like K5ss or maybe 55?

Or do we think that MP is very likely to over value trips with no kicker like noted above?

Given how we played they hand, does MP think we're on a draw with a hand like QT hence the all in to punish that draw?

MP history will bluff big. Hasn't been drinking much.

I interpret the snap all in as either:
-He has the boat - Though I have a gut feeling he doesn't have K/J or J/J
-Possibly bluff
-He has K/(x).

And I tank for awhile...

i mean do you think he could do this with Kx not realizing that he is beat by a lot of cards. Let's say KQ or KT
I do think this is a possibility.

Also I start to wonder, while being unsure, if it makes sense to risk $70ish to make $170.

What's the decision?

I guess it's a call here. My original intent to check raise the turn was to get stacks in and given players history I would likely call.

8 Handed .25/.25 cash game - $40 buy in.

Hero UTG: $85
MP: LAG-ish $90
CO: LAG $60

Hero looks down at
:as::kc:

Hero UTG raise to $1.25
Only callers are MP and CO.

Flop is
:kd::kh::js:

Thoughts?
Bet. What would be your normal Cbet? Bet that amount.

I like this thought and take this line.

Additional info:
MP and CO both often talk while they play or talk so much they slow down the action. Both have stopped talking.

Hero checks
MP checks
CO bets .50

Hero decides to only call
MP: Whimsically states "let's at least make it a $1.00" and raises
CO calls

Action back to hero. Thoughts?
This check is a mistake. You are giving up control of the pot AND you are out of position. You also have a chance here to solidify your image of your cbets going forward since you are betting with the goods. NOW....you have a bet and a raise in front of you. Anything you do looks super strong. I guess....raise to $4. The jig is up now though.

MP/CO view on me. It's getting late and pretty much all the guys know as it gets late I get much less disciplined and much more gambly.

With both players no longer talking, both interested in the hand, the pot is still relatively small so I decide to step on the gas. Posted this hand for the feedback so feel free to critique.

Hero bets out $10
MP: Instantly snap raise "all in"
CO: Folds

Thoughts?
You played like shit and you got rewarded. Call. Very few hands beat you. If you ran in to one of them, se la vie. You

You played like shit and you got rewarded. Call. Very few hands beat you. If you ran in to one of them, se la vie. You
This is a bad beat story, but to be truthful, there are some lessons here:
-You were the preflop aggressor. Checking back when the board favors you is bad...your hand was not indestructible (obviously).
-Checking back to trap should be done VERY RARELY. Examples of bad shit that can happen include letting someone boat up when you have them dominated, then getting all the money in bad.
-When your players are showing up with hands like this, you are going to take some beats. They are also MOSTLY going to lose.
-I am sure if you would have led out, you would have got raised on the flop or turn, then you could get all the money in when you were a favorite (he wasnt folding post flop, and neither were you). Same result, but at least you would have known what you did was correct.
-Remember, it's not about THIS ONE HAND RIGHT HERE. It's about every time you have this situation presented to you. This is a massive +ev situation. You should treat it as such, even if the outcome was not desirable. If you would have won the hand and only won a few bucks, it would have been played worse than if you got it in as a 90/10 favorite then lost.

grebe nailed it. It's not about 1 hand. It's about how this type of hand plays out over and over again. Bad beats are the Poker God's gift to better players. I like to think of the them as a cover charge to get access to the players that will send me stacks eventually. Without bad beats, you'd have a much less positive EV. We need to reward the phish with a few morsels every now and then to keep them on the hook in all those other situations when you're making bank.

And to specifically comment on this type of hand, hands in which both players catch a board pair to the same singleton (I call that 4th card the "case" card; as in, your opponent held the case King) will almost always favor the higher kicker. 4 out of 5 times, the player with the tripped-case that stayed with Ax or Kx is going to lose, often quite a bit. And once that case card has tripped up, that poor fellow is going to see the bitter end about 19 times out of 20. And lose. Often. This is one of many reasons why hands like Ax or Kx are generally terrible starting hands, especially to preflop raises.

As an aside, "case Ace" is one of the coolest expressions in gambling. Along with "window maximum". :)

Last edited:
Way, way too fast. The whole hand is over in two hours.

My advice? Hero should have listened to Ken Rogers' poker training videos. Fold pre and get a snack from the kitchen. "Ya got to know when to fold 'em."

Poker is easy -=- DrStrange

PS I grade the hand as a bad beat. Hero's misguided fancy play on the flop is silly. That flop is a standard c-bet from an early position raiser. Hero's range crushes theirs. Sneaky passive play turns out to be not so sneaky to thinking players. But however hero plays the hand the end result is the same. VIllian gets lucky and Hero goes broke.

Bad beats are the Poker God's gift to better players. I like to think of the them as a cover charge to get access to the players that will send me stacks eventually. Without bad beats, you'd have a much less positive EV. We need to reward the phish with a few morsels every now and then to keep them on the hook in all those other situations when you're making bank.
This a million times. I want to have this engraved on a plaque and put it up so I never forget it since it's harder to remember as you turn the chips over, but that would also defeat the purpose and let the cat out of the bag. And it applies to more than just poker. If the best players always win, the bad players quit playing real fast.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom