Home game buying advice (2 Viewers)

beeohvee

Reaction score
Hiya

I regularly go to cash games, and when I host at mine I have to borrow a chip set so it's time to invest and buy my own.

I run one or two tables, so there are up to 20 players, and the buy in is between £30 and £50 with SB and BB being 5p/10p throughout the night.

I'm thinking of getting a 1000pc chip set but how should I split the denominations when I order? I'm thinking of getting

5/10/25/1/5/10 but unsure how many to get of each

Also, I've seen a few nice ones on pokermerchant but happy to take recommendations for decent clay sets, or any UK based stores.

Thank you!!

ps. In the future I want to run mini-tournament games as well but I assume with enough chips, it wont matter so much if there's less of the bigger denominations?

The new member guide is very helpful. I would start here: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/new-members-start-here.85303/

Make your denomination jumps 4-5x. 5p/25p/£1/£5/£25.

I like @allforcharity 's recommendation. If you have budget for a few more chips, you might be able to use more £5s as well since your game seems to play deep compared to the blind size.

Alternatively you can raise your blinds to 25p/25p or 25p/50p, then you could do 25p/£1/£5/£25/£100 and be very well rolled.

Don't mix your tourney set with your cash set. T25s moving from a tourney table to become £25 would be bad.

Usually 600 chips per table
100x 5p
200x 25p
200x 1
100x 5 (or 80x 5 + 20x 20 or 25)

Skip 10p and 10 - won't help you
This is the way. For tournament play, I'd try to use a different set due to the awkward denominations.

Realistically, you don't want more than 3 or 4 denominations on the table and, therefore, you only need 5p, 20p or 25p, £1 and £5 chips. After the all the lower denomination chips are all on the table, just give out £5 chips for buy-ins and let people make change.

The 25p chip is a strange one as we don't have quarters, but people adjust pretty quickly. Either 20p or 25p will work fine and both options adhere to the 4x or 5x step between denominations.

If people are buying in for between 300 to 500 BBs then that's a pretty deep-stacked game. You might want to consider raising the stakes to 10p/20p (150 to 250 BBs). The same rules would apply but you would only need 10p/50p/£1/£5 (and maybe a few £20 or £25) chips.

As stated above, 600 chips per table (100/200/200/100) should be more than adequate and don't mix your cash and tournament chips.

Good luck,
Iain

Also, I've seen a few nice ones on pokermerchant but happy to take recommendations for decent clay sets, or any UK based stores.
I was very happy with the Majestic china clays from Apache. The color scheme is nice and they don't break the bank too horribly (I totally plan to buy a higher end set one day, just not while I am balling on a budget).

ps. In the future I want to run mini-tournament games as well but I assume with enough chips, it wont matter so much if there's less of the bigger denominations?
From what I have read on the forum, it is a good idea to have a separate set for cash games vs tourneys. You can lose money by having chips from the tourneys find their way into cash games. BUT, I suppose it depends on how well you trust your players, and even then mistakes can still happen and cost you money. Personally, I went with the Majestics for cash games and the Royals (also from Apache) for tournaments because I loved the higher denomination color scheme and pips!

This is all so helpful, thank you so much

For my cash games I'll get the 5/25/1/5 and maybe a few 10. Thanks to those who suggested 600 chips per table.

I only really play with friends, or people that I've been playing in a tournament with for a few years, so I'd say the level of trust is pretty high. I see the reasoning to have different sets for tournament and cash, but for now I might just get a set for cash and either use the same, or borrow a 'blank' set for tournaments.

This is all so helpful, thank you so much

For my cash games I'll get the 5/25/1/5 and maybe a few 10. Thanks to those who suggested 600 chips per table.

I only really play with friends, or people that I've been playing in a tournament with for a few years, so I'd say the level of trust is pretty high. I see the reasoning to have different sets for tournament and cash, but for now I might just get a set for cash and either use the same, or borrow a 'blank' set for tournaments.
The 10s really are going to be useless. If you want a few extra high denoms I'd highly suggest 20 or 25.

I have a rack of Lake Elsinore $10 that I LOVE, but I've never been able to get them in play - absolutely no need for them in a cash game if you're sensible and have $5s and $20/$25s (obviously $20s make more sense for GBP buy-ins)

Consider that this migration could be accidental, no malice required. A player could be holding a tourney chip absent-mindedly as they go to the restroom, put it in their pocket, and discover it an hour or two later. Was it from their cash stack or tourney stack?

Though if you only ever settle the cash bank at the end of the night, it's probably safe. Still, better off playing with the existing chips for tourneys if you have any.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom