His Rule, not mine (1 Viewer)

I don't see an update from @Lemonzest but we have talked about using the artwork for a new project beyond the original Paulson chips project.

There will be a mini-GB for labels, buttons etc. So anyone wanting stuff, have a think about your needs and keep an eye out for a new GB thread.

I won't be doing any further SB design stuff but the artwork will be made available gratis, for someone else to do the design work. Charges will be at the discretion of the person(s) handling all that (so nothing to do with me).

Look out for the new thread. :)

found in the chip guide CG #911666 :watching:
meh.jpg
That would make a great Jack $500 relabel.

Fwiw, one of the biggest differences between trademark and copyright enforcement is that in the world of copyright, "fair use" is interpreted much more broadly-- i.e., there are substantial exceptions allowed for things like parody, criticism, or educational purposes.

The "fair use" exception, for example, covers usage for discussion here in PCF.

Do you know how much adobe illustrator costs? The software doesn’t come for free...

Do you know how many free programs can edit files? I have 3. Like I said if the artwork was released to lemon none of this would have been a problem. Sounds like it is being resolved by lemon to end the drama, which is good. In the future everyone should make sure up front that the designer will release the files to them for future editing. You never know, the artist might not be around anymore when you want to add denoms or tweek something.

For skilled labor I agree. If I had the art file I could change the denom with zero talent at all. Back space twice type 50 where 25 was. Done.

This assumes you have illustrator, the applicable font, and that the art file has not converted the denomination from text to art, which is often done as a last step before production.

If YOU designed the artwork and had someone put it into a file to be used you can do what you like.

If you had someone design something for you. Paid or unpaid. Then YES you should ask that person for permission to use the artwork for more chips/ cut cards/ dealer buttons/ lammers/ t-shirts/ sneakers/ baseball caps to be made.

Toby NEVER said, if you sell those chips to someone i want a cut. That was the context of Travis's FOR SALE ad.

I want a SB Beach baseball hat!

IP blah blah blah blah blah... copyright blah blah blah blah blah...

Time to move on. Most of y’all don’t even own SB’s so whatever, nobody cares about your opinion.

PM me if you want some SBs. I’m selling at a ridiculous markup and hope to MAKE SOME BANK.

J/k

Or maybe not

IP blah blah blah blah blah... copyright blah blah blah blah blah...

Time to move on. Most of y’all don’t even own SB’s so whatever, nobody cares about your opinion.

PM me if you want some SBs. I’m selling at a ridiculous markup and hope to MAKE SOME BANK.

J/k

Or maybe not

Using the Empress Star logo in your avatar is a breach of copyright law based on the IP.

You will be hearing from their IP Copyright lawyers soon.

Thank you,

Copyright IP

Is there a community resource that lists the various fantasy sets and the fee's or lack there of associated with using the artwork? And possibly the designer to pay the fee's to?

I think from this thread I surmised:
Aurora Star - Free to community
Empress Star - Free to community
Sunset Beach - $100 one time + $20/Denomination - @Toby
Big Top Poker - ???

Seems like I see people recreate lots of other things - Scandia's, PCA's, Jacks, etc. Is everyone paying a fee for these?

I don't see an update from @Lemonzest but we have talked about using the artwork for a new project beyond the original Paulson chips project.

There will be a mini-GB for labels, buttons etc. So anyone wanting stuff, have a think about your needs and keep an eye out for a new GB thread.

I won't be doing any further SB design stuff but the artwork will be made available gratis, for someone else to do the design work. Charges will be at the discretion of the person(s) handling all that (so nothing to do with me).

Look out for the new thread. :)

I'm becoming an excellent Toby translator these days... Allow me to translate for everyone.

Lemon decided to pony up funds so that others wouldn't have to carry the burden and so that gear could make labels for those inquiring. He offered a very generous amount too (an amount which was double the amount I was quoted by J5 for an entire project! This was in addition to the already extremely generous amount he paid Toby in round 1 just so others could get labels made) Toby declined. But worry not everyone, Toby will offer us all a group buy rate for money grab 2.0 with the artwork he can't even copyright because he used artwork that belongs to Josh and swapped out a flag for a surfboard and changed the color of the grass. Interestingly, even if it were original artwork, it still wouldn't fall under copyright protection laws because it's a logo, not a painting.

I'm excited to see the price tag of round 2!

I'm becoming an excellent Toby translator these days... Allow me to translate for everyone.

Lemon decided to pony up funds so that others wouldn't have to carry the burden and so that gear could make labels for those inquiring. He offered a very generous amount too (an amount which was double the amount I was quoted by J5 for an entire project! This was in addition to the already extremely generous amount he paid Toby in round 1 just so others could get labels made) Toby declined. But worry not everyone, Toby will offer us all a group buy rate for money grab 2.0 with the artwork he can't even copyright because he used artwork that belongs to Josh and swapped out a flag for a surfboard and changed the color of the grass. Interestingly, even if it were original artwork, it still wouldn't fall under copyright protection laws because it's a logo, not a painting.

I don't have a dog in this race but gotta admit this got a good laugh (sadly I think)

Interestingly, even if it were original artwork, it still wouldn't fall under copyright protection laws because it's a logo, not a painting.

What kind of argument is that? It sounds like you're saying there's no copyright protection for chip designs in general, which wouldn't be a great situation for the industry or community.

think from this thread I surmised:
Aurora Star - Free to community
Empress Star - Free to community
Sunset Beach - $100 one time + $20/Denomination - @Toby
Big Top Poker - ???
Star designs are not 'free to community". They are property of the designer, and may not be used without permission.

Reactions: ovo

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Not so much laughing at tobey just lol’ing at Travis. I really appreciate people who give you exactly who they are and aren’t afraid to say what they think, you are definitely that dude. You have always had zero qualms about speaking your mind, I love it, I’m just another non awesome chip owner so I’m just here for the drama, but yeah I laughed reading Travs post and picturing him saying it. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Interestingly, even if it were original artwork, it still wouldn't fall under copyright protection laws because it's a logo, not a painting.

If you're basing this conclusion on the link you posted earlier, you're reading too much into what was said in that article. It says: "In order for a work to have copyright protection, it must reach a requisite level of creativity. Many logos, however, do not. Since copyright can’t protect a name, colors or the design of the logo, most simple logos simply do not have the required level of creativity to be considered copyrightable."

Key words -- "many" and "simple" modifying logos. Many does not mean all (or even a majority). And simple is another qualifier.

Remember when that one dude came across some sweet tournament charity chips and decided to pony up and buy them all? He took some cute photos and then had a sweet little money grab by marking them up the wazoo to on sell to the "community"? I remember that guy...

Apparently I wasn't clear enough, so I'll attempt to clarify further...
  1. Someone else will organize the GB for labels, buttons, etc
  2. I will supply the artwork for the GB use gratis
  3. Someone else will create the new assets/designs for the GB
  4. GB costs will be up to whoever runs it
  5. I will not get any payment of any kind out of the GB (and I won't be getting any SB accessories)
Might be time for everyone to chill out, shelve the negativity and focus on the positive outcome. Everyone will get their accessories/labels. (y)

Last edited:
Might be time for everyone to chill out, shelve the negativity and focus on the positive outcome.

I'm glad this is resolved, but reading this thread does leave a bad taste in my mouth. Feels like an exhausted parent surrendering to a petulant child in the middle of a wicked temper tantrum. In the interest of "shelving the negativity," I'll avoid naming who I see as the parent & the child.

The thing I've learned is that it seems like over-communication and written agreement on IP rights is important.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom