Has anyone made a good "card mold" mockup of the CPC rounders chip design? (1 Viewer)

cranberry

High Hand
Reaction score
I've seen some good aria chips but nobody seems to have made the rounders chip design

Without the roman mold, I don't see why you would want that design anyways. It's a simple design and without the roman mold, it's too plain to me.

no. You can pay tribute to a design by incorporating certain elements without just copying the entire design
So is this copying or a tribute? Real question.
1AC930D0-3C70-45DD-891C-84199B49390B.jpeg
27EA25EB-18E2-4CDD-8C95-8DA845DB6EC1.jpeg

View attachment 853356View attachment 853357
I say it’s copying. Just my two cents - I’m not on a crusade to prosecute or anything. But if you want my opinion, all these card mold copies that we’ve seen in the last year are straight up theft.
I don’t know crap about IP law, and in a case like this, if the cruise line has shut down, maybe their old designs are fair game - I dunno. But there are plenty of copies out there, like the Arias, that are clearly wrong (in my opinion.)

I say it’s copying. Just my two cents - I’m not on a crusade to prosecute or anything. But if you want my opinion, all these card mold copies that we’ve seen in the last year are straight up theft.
I don’t know crap about IP law, and in a case like this, if the cruise line has shut down, maybe their old designs are fair game - I dunno. But there are plenty of copies out there, like the Arias, that are clearly wrong (in my opinion.)
Agreed. I don’t “really” care. I just think if people are ok with Starlite (which again, I don’t really care), they should be fine with someone doing a cards mold set of anything. I would be curious to see how someone would take it if they did a cards mold “tribute” of their CPC set though ha. Who has the balls to do that though?? That will be an interesting thread.

View attachment 853356View attachment 853357
That's copying to me. The Rounders are a different story, because ASM designed them, but they did them on different molds so collectors could differentiate between movie chips and replicas (Same with the Chesterfields and removing the $ sign).

An example of a tribute not copy would be the Nirvana Lounge set.

That's copying to me. The Rounders are a different story, because ASM designed them, but they did them on different molds so collectors could differentiate between movie chips and replicas (Same with the Chesterfields and removing the $ sign).

An example of a tribute not copy would be the Nirvana Lounge set.
Interesting. I actually didn’t know ASM designed them. That’s nice to know

I've received the request several times to update the design I've created here with the real WSOP and RIO logos but that's not something I'd do.
Using a different logo that is still linked to the original one with similar spots/colors is what we can define a tribute imho. That's a least what I wanted to do, just like the China Clay CPS or BCC GCOP.

If we look further, from IP point of view, creating and selling labels with registered trademarks (ex : fracs for Jack chips, ...) without IP holders approval is not really different than creating and selling card mold chips using registered trademarks or logo.
Doing it yourself (from A to Z) for your personal use only is a different story though as it could fall under "fair use".

Like @upNdown , I'm not blaming anyone, just wanted to highlight that this is a complex question.

Last edited:
I can see the points everyone is making, but I think my natural tendency is to nudge closer to the line, and like @Kid_Eastwood 's comment on 'fair use', I would consider what you are using it for, and how the party who owns the 'tributed'/copied design would or wouldn't be affected by your personal use.

By this, I agree that the Rounders design on cards mold is over the line for my interpretation. A site vendor who created the design, and sells the design on chips to the public, potentially stands to have sales reduced (I know some people who buy cards mold may never buy CPC due to price anyway, but their design and images could take off and generate interest etc. and take some possible sales away from CPC overall). CPC do amazing things for the community here by providing a one-of-a-kind service to chip enthusiasts, and we shouldn't risk or take away from that.

With something like the Aria tributes, get out of here. Particularly the common @Johnny5 design is discerned firstly, by using their cash chip colours on chips that say 'Tournament' and 'No Cash Value'. On top of that, the edge spots and colours are slightly different, the inlay is a different size, no $ on denoms, chips are a different material etc. Nobody that buys these on cards mold is looking to walk in the door of Aria and play the tables with them, nor are they otherwise available to purchase as a set from Aria (unless you pay face value in the millions). So I see that as not trying to deceive Aria, nor any financial benefit taken away from them, and the use of the tributes is not intended for anything other than home use or 'fair use'.

4c2c67e0-super-high-roller-cash-game_aria-cash-chips_dscf2032.jpg
E2A4C418-D72B-4B1A-AE59-797C2D380F3C.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom