Getting close to the bubble with black 66. (1 Viewer)

I could go any way with this hand, here. I guess limping is my least favorite option, but I'm not completely opposed to it. Because if I raise, I'm folding to a 3-bet, so I'm not sure limping and folding to a 2-bet is that much worse. And folding is fine too.
I guess I'll raise 3 bb

I would open for 2.5bb. With 6 players to act behind you, you'll win right now more than 1/3 of the time. The rest of the time if called you can flop a set and win a big pot with your deep stack, take it down with a c bet on a favorable board, or get away cheaply. Medium pairs don't usually put you in poorly defined situations post flop. If you're 3 bet you can probably just let it go. Your tight image and early position open might reduce the chance of someone playing at you without a good hand .

I don't think there's much time to waste here on the pre flop action. There were arguments made for all three options, weighted raise, limp and fold, on that order I believe. If someone missed the pre-flop action, they can always comment later on.

I would open for 2.5bb. With 6 players to act behind you, you'll win right now more than 1/3 of the time. The rest of the time if called you can flop a set and win a big pot with your deep stack, take it down with a c bet on a favorable board, or get away cheaply. Medium pairs don't usually put you in poorly defined situations post flop. If you're 3 bet you can probably just let it go. Your tight image and early position open might reduce the chance of someone playing at you without a good hand .

^^^^ This was exactly my thought playing the hand. The only difference probably being if I get 3-bet by the CO or BTN, in which case I'm probably calling. Now, @BGinGA is right: I don't open limp. Using the word never is pretty strong but I'd say I'd open limp close to never. I believe him and I had that discussion in person in Florida.

Anyways, I open for 2.5BB. That was the size of pretty much 90% of openings, regardless of position and I saw no reason to deviate from that. CO calls and SB calls. Flop comes :ah::6h::3s:. Yep, flopped it. SB checks, action to Hero. Thoughts?

Pre-Flop (2.5BB)
Hero (80BB) :6c::6s: opens for 2.5BB
CO (30BB) Calls
SB (85BB) Calls

Flop (9.5BB) :ah::6h::3s:
Hero (77.5BB) :6c::6s:?
CO (27.5BB)
SB (83BB) Checks

Last edited:
That flop is the dream. The A gives you action from at least one player a good percentage of the time. The two hearts are a cause for...I won’t say concern but alertness. I feel a lead out bet here is in order for two reasons
No free draws to potential heart flushes
Checking this flop looks suspicious after a preflop raise.

The sweet spot is something that doesn’t give a flush draw the right odds to draw but doesn’t push out potential mid to week aces. Maybe something like 7-8 BB?

So thinking a bit here. That flop is a wet dream to get all your chips in on regardless of what action happens behind you on the flop. If someone smooth called me with aces and hit this flop they just get my stack unless I get the fourth six.

Knowing that and that this is in a hand discussion thread...does the :hearts: come on the turn or the river?o_O

Why so impatient, Tom? :p

When you're playing, do you know if the :hearts: is coming?!?!? :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:
This story is going too happily right now for one written by George RR Martin.

C2C73862-6100-4EDC-85AD-72758A0BF563.jpeg

Great flop. I'm betting 3/4 pot. Not sure if there are antes but if not let's say 7.5BB. Want to charge draws and obviously get called by good aces. Best case scenario I am called by the CO with an ace and raised by the SB on a FD, 2 pair or pocket 3s and can ship it in. Or the CO shoves over me here with his small stack. I'm sizing up otherwise it may be hard to get stacks in by the river if the CO folds, and to make it easier for him to ship vs flat if he has a good hand.

With the Ah out there are less FD combos in villains' ranges so I'm not super scared yet about draws.

Not sure if there are antes...

Yep, there's antes. That's why I mention 2.5BB in the pot before the opening and 9.5BB after a raise and two caller. The antes might have been a touch less, maybe a touch more but I'm just rounding them to 1BB total.

Checking here may or may not look suspicious... it's what KK or QQ might do, and might give the CO a green light if holding an ace or a medium-to-big pair. On the other hand, the SB may have checked HIS ace to the aggressor, planning on check-raising a c-bet, and it would be a shame to deny him that opportunity.

So I c-bet close to pot here, maybe 9-10bb, hopefully getting two big hearts or a big ace to play back from at least one of the other players. A button call and a SB squeeze re-raise would be sweet.

Looking for the :3h: on the turn, unless @Schmendr1ck has a soul read on the SB.

I continue with the C-Bet as previously stated. I like pot size or even an overbet, just because it commits the CO, and reduces pot/implied pot odds for a flush miner.

Checking here may or may not look suspicious... it's what KK or QQ might do, and might give the CO a green light if holding an ace or a medium-to-big pair. On the other hand, the SB may have checked HIS ace to the aggressor, planning on check-raising a c-bet, and it would be a shame to deny him that opportunity.

So I c-bet close to pot here, maybe 9-10bb, hopefully getting two big hearts or a big ace to play back from at least one of the other players. A button call and a SB squeeze re-raise would be sweet.

Looking for the :3h: on the turn, unless @Schmendr1ck has a soul read on the SB.
If the :3h: comes...hooooo boy!

70F29029-0455-474E-883A-167D516000A8.gif

~1/2 pot bet. I'm okay with a little bit more or a little bit less. We can get value from many hands. We don't want to just slam it and push out worse hands Flush draws, AX hands or medium PPs.

Bet 7–8 BB on that flop. Looking to get raised and then reraise all-in, or get called and plan to bet ~3/4 pot on the turn as well, with an eye toward playing for stacks on the river.

For some reason that GIF reminds me of the hand we played together at the Encore last year, Tom. The one you flopped top set and I flopped an open-ended straight flush draw, and got there on the turn, LOL!!!!
At least you didn’t have me buy a case of high end scotch for you with the money you won.....

That time

Bet 4bb

I want people to pay for draws, but also a little pot control when both call and the turn is :7h:

My instinct was go 5-6bb, but I like this suggestion as well. Another reason to use this sizing is to balance other c-bets you might make with TT-KK or KQ. You do give the flush draws a price sizing small, but the other upsides may outweigh that.

This is a good and a bad spot. Im always leaning for a bigger bet here. Why ?

Do we really want to get or stacks in and gamble that the heart will not come ? We are close to the bubble.
If we bet 4bb a strong ace can raise us as can KhKx. 8BB bet on the other hand should get a flat from those hands and push away flush draws.

Pot control to see the next card. If the turn is blank then it is both easier to bet the flush draw away and to get value from a strong ace.

If we bet 4bb a strong ace can raise us as can KhKx. 8BB bet on the other hand should get a flat from those hands and push away flush draws.

Getting raised by an ace really is a good result. That may give us the best chance possible to fold out a flush draw. If next to act does this a flush draw would have to probably call 10-12bb cold. If a flush draw is in the middle and flats with last to act to raise then we can 3 bet to squeeze out the middle, and winning this big pot with a 3 bet is a good result too.

This is a good and a bad spot. Im always leaning for a bigger bet here. Why ?

Do we really want to get or stacks in and gamble that the heart will not come ? We are close to the bubble.

Pot control to see the next card. If the turn is blank then it is both easier to bet the flush draw away and to get value from a strong ace.

I don't want to make any comments before more people have the chance to posts but I'm gonna play devil's advocate here without disclosing much: I assume you're also c-betting large, a good percentage of the time if you missed the flop? There's certainly advantages of betting large here but you're also gonna be paying a lot on your bluffs (if you're balancing your betting size). Also, I don't see an Ax or KK raising the flop, personally (although Hero would love that). At least not raising a UTG+1 opener with an A on the flop. I'm not saying that wouldn't happen ever but I don't think it's often enough. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom