Getting close to the bubble with black 66. (2 Viewers)

ChaosRock

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
I played this hand a little over 2 years ago. It's a $1.5K NLH at the WSOP. It was a 2-day event and once you move to day 2 you're ITM. From what I can tell, there's about 1:30h to go on Day 1, so not the bubble but not too far from it also. We've been playing the whole day.

I seat at around 80BB UTG+1. Newish table for me (8 players I believe), was just moved there. Villain in the hand, a young British pro I think, since he had patches, is in the SB. The whole table was very solid imo. Villain covers Hero but not by much, maybe 5BB. We were both middle of the pack chip-wise.

I'm gonna describe the hand in BBs as I don't remember the exact blind level.

So Hero looks at :6s::6c:, pot is (2.5BB). Action?

Last edited:
I played this hand a little over 2 years ago. It's a $2.5K NLH at the WSOP. It was a 2-day event and once you move to day 2 you're ITM. From what I can tell, there's about 1:30h to go on Day 1, so not the bubble but not too far from it also. We've been playing the whole day.

I seat at around 80BB UTG+1. Newish table for me (8 players I believe), was just moved there. Villain in the hand, a young British pro I think, since he had patches, is in the SB. The whole table was very solid imo. Villain covers Hero but not by much, maybe 5BB. We were both middle of the pack chip-wise.

I'm gonna describe hand in BBs as I don't remember the exact blind level.

So Hero looks at :6s::6c:, pot is (2.5BB). Action?
Am I missing something here. 80 BB seems really deep for a MTT mid stack this late in. If you are that deep then no problem opening a speculative hand like this. I don’t like to commit big chips in early position to essentually set mining hands. If you are opening I would do a small raise to 2-2.5 the B.B. if someone else has opened I would flat and evaluate.

Am I missing something here. 80 BB seems really deep for a MTT mid stack this late in.

I don't remember average stack for the tourney. Maybe our table was a little more rich. We had a couple of short stacks, a couple of players behind their mountain of chips, and the rest was about the same, give it or take 10 to 20BBs.

I like a small raise here, like Mr Tree said. Popping it to 2.5 BB should do.

A limp wouldn't be terrible, but from the description of the table, this sounds like a spot where people will be raising on principle from late position to pick up chips. This is going to be a pure speculative hand. Flop a set or get out. The raise is more about taking control of the bet size than actually wanting to put more money in.

Gotta fold to a 3-bet unless it's very small.

One more bit of information that might be relevant: My impression is that my image is on the tighter side, although I haven't played many hands at that particular table. I certainly don't look like a pro like some on that table. Middle age guy from Michigan, waring a polo shirt, LOL!!!

I would limp 50% and make a 4BB bet the other 50% to apply some pressure. I prefer to try and find out more regarding where folks are in the hand. You may take it down uncontested, or set mine cheaply.

Hard to argue for or against a fold, limp, or raise in this spot. If the table has been passive lately, I limp, if there have been late position raisers, I fold and wait for a better spot.

You, however, are never limping, and rarely folding. Make it 3bb to go, and hang onto your seat. :D

Your first bad read: "Middle age guy from Michigan, wearing a polo shirt "

Those that dont know you, especially in an international event like the WSOP, see a well-to-do (polo shirt vs t-shirt) man from Brazil. Accent tips off that you are not Mexican, or even American (by birth). Therefore you give the appearance that you travelled 6000+ miles for the WSOP, and packed nicer shirts. Probably a businessman. At this point in the tourney, sitting on an average stack, you are a smart, but conservative businessman.

Perfect time to play aggressive. 3xBB to lead out, follow through with a C-bet. Get them reeling when you first sit down.

Those that dont know you, especially in an international event like the WSOP, see a well-to-do (polo shirt vs t-shirt) man from Brazil. Accent tips off that you are not Mexican, or even American (by birth). Therefore you give the appearance that you travelled 6000+ miles for the WSOP, and packed nicer shirts. Probably a businessman.

Wouldn't the above read like a tighter player to you, MJ?

With 80bb, I'd probably raise up to 3bb, and flat call a reraise, providing it's not huge.

Then the flop would come AA6, and I'd check raise all-in, only to have the villain table A6o.

I think 2.5-3x open is good here. In a 9-10 handed game I would consider folding. 90 minutes from the bubble is a little too far for my taste to start tightening too much, and we're surely deep enough to mine if we get called. (I suspect we will or this thread will be really short.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom