First custom poker chip set (advice needed) (1 Viewer)

nightbird

Two Pair
Reaction score
so i started toying with CPC's design tool recently as i have been considering starting my first custom set. Would appreciate any feedback about my first draft. The inlay design will change as I used an image from the internet just to have an idea. The inlay will be similar to this one however (some kind of illustration of the Lebanese Cedar tree). would also appreciate any kind of advice about designing custom poker chips in general. One question I have in mind is if a certain spot colors combination was previously used in another set, would i still be able to use it for my set ?

Here they are:

Red quarter pies and another chip with a red base?

I see dirty stacks.

First thing that jumped out at me too.

Then having the same spot pattern on the next two chips doesn’t fit well. Also using red & white across all three of those chips as well. Try mixing in some other colors perhaps.

You can use any spot color combination you want. There are no banned combinations because of previous use.

Last edited:
One question I have in mind is if a certain spot colors combination was previously used in another set, would i still be able to use it for my set ?

Yep, the only real restriction is you can't directly copy an inlay design.

X2 on what @WedgeRock mentioned with dirty stacks. It looks like you're trying to create a set with a few base colors (red/white/green/blue). If you go this route, you have to be really careful to avoid dirty stacks. I find the best way to approach this is to use the same (or very similar) spot pattern on every chip, and a spot pattern that allows a good deal of the base chip color to be seen, so it's easy to identify the chip in stacks. Like the Redbelly cash set (chips at the bottom of the pic below). So maybe use the 3TA316 spot pattern on all of them?

20120411-2481_3-photo4.jpg

There's another example around here somewhere with an Irish theme white/green/orange, couldn't remember a key word to find out offhand.

I'm assuming denoms are 1, 5, 25, 100.

• Your 1 and 5 are just asking for dirty stacks.
  • The 100 looks weird to me, sort of unbalanced. I like idea of a really colorful big chip, but all the yellow and brown is on one side, and the dark green doesn't have enough contrast.
  • Just my personal preference, but I like when spot progression changes number and complexity as it goes, as in the Redbelly set @Irish shared.
  • Play with the designer a lot, save sets you like, then do more sets. Look at other's custom sets and get ideas. I've found that some of the sets I thought were great when I first started look weird to me now.
  • Have fun working on your design. I can't wait to see your finished project!
Just because I like playing with the design tool, I mocked up a version using some of my suggestions. Feel free to ignore all my advice. :)

thank you all for your feeback. Seeing your comments i realize that this will be more complex than it seemed at first and that i still have to do plenty of research before proceeding. Will also try to experiment with the design tool and see where that takes me.
As for the dirty stack issue, i did not really know what you guys were talking about :oops: so thanks @Irish for clarifying. definitely would cause a lot of problems in my game especially since we have 2 regular players with some degree of colour blindness.
Again thank you all for your comments, It's nice to have experts to guide you through the process.

I'm assuming denoms are 1, 5, 25, 100.

• Your 1 and 5 are just asking for dirty stacks.
  • The 100 looks weird to me, sort of unbalanced. I like idea of a really colorful big chip, but all the yellow and brown is on one side, and the dark green doesn't have enough contrast.
  • Just my personal preference, but I like when spot progression changes number and complexity as it goes, as in the Redbelly set @Irish shared.
  • Play with the designer a lot, save sets you like, then do more sets. Look at other's custom sets and get ideas. I've found that some of the sets I thought were great when I first started look weird to me now.
  • Have fun working on your design. I can't wait to see your finished project!
Just because I like playing with the design tool, I mocked up a version using some of my suggestions. Feel free to ignore all my advice. :)

View attachment 293848
definitely looks better than my design and probably took you much less time to do it. I like the spot colours that you chose.
I am pretty cluless when it comes to combining colours as is evident with my first choice :banghead:

definitely looks better than my design and probably took you much less time to do it. I like the spot colours that you chose.
I am pretty cluless when it comes to combining colours as is evident with my first choice :banghead:
Like I said, play with it a lot. Also, get yourself a full CPC color sample set. The screen doesn't always represent the colors accurately.

If you have color blind regulars, I'd highly recommend not going with the 3-4 color in all chips route - utilize a combination of different colors and spot patterns, like what @Beakertwang recommended. Here's a very good resource for simulating what the set could look like to those players:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/color-blindness-simulator.37488/

https://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/

Check out this thread as well, lots of great information to get you started:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/first-custom-set-cpc-dos-and-don’ts.41932/

Last edited:
I really advise to introduce 2.50 chip. It helps if you decide to raise the stakes in future.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom