First Custom Set (1 Viewer)

dbrous90

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Posted this thread back in August of 2022 ready to purchase my first set and knew absolutely nothing about chips. Thanks to everyone here I learned a lot and was able to nail down some key decisions. Unfortunately, home renovations came quicker than I thought and put buying a set on hold. Home renovations are over and now I am ready to pull the trigger. It is also my birthday so my wife is letting me pull the trigger on them as a birthday present. Here are some of the decisions/ideas I am hoping move forward with:
  • Chips - Cards Mold Tina. Do other "molds" with Tina cost more? I think it would be cool to do the fleur di lis mold in line with my theme.
  • Set Inspiration - Louisiana theme sticking with traditional denomination base colors. I tried to follow edging options looking at some of my favorite custom designs like Ambessa, Rainier Room, Taj Mahal, Casa Mango, and a few others. Feel like my edging options/colors could use some work. Any and all feedback even small tweaks is welcome.
  • Denoms
    • 25c x 100 Louisiana Flag (Blue base with Blue/Yellow/White edging options)
1685761255847.png

• $1 x 200 Mardi Gras (White base with Green/Purple/Gold edging options)
1685761239891.png

• $5 x 200 UL Ragin Cajuns (Red base with Red/White/Black edging options)
1685761120248.png

• $20 x 75 LSU Tigers (Yellow base with Yellow/Purple/White/Black edging options)
1685761083766.png

• $100 x 25 New Orleans Saints (Black base with Gold/White/Black edging options). Would love to do the three indidividual gold lines on each of the 4 sides like taj mahal but didn't see that option
1685761099540.png

• Budget - $400 to $500 all in for chips/design/etc.
  • Would like to participate in the next group buy
Things I need help on/Questions
  • Inlay design - Please tag anyone, message me, or post a link that could help me with this. Looking for something unique and classy but can be basic. Doesn't have to be "Louisiana Theme" but can't hurt. Unfortunately with my budget, I don't know how much help I can get here. May be lookin at someone modifying a design that has already been done but hopefully can maximize what I mentioned above.
  • Edging design - Are there do's and don'ts? Are there rules of thumb with regards to edging types and colors? All the edgings look great in the designer tool but its overwhelming as someone with no artistic ability. If the above ones are in the ballpark then any refinement recommendations also welcome.
If I am way off base on something or have unrealistic expectations, please let me know lol.

Last edited:
Having an inlay design, or at least a ballpark concept for that design helps. I've designed and had made several custom sets, and playing around with spots and colors is fun, but in a vacuum, it's only playing. When I designed my most recent CPC set, it was pure agony because the inlay design was effectively set and my earliest spot plans were ruined as they didn't "work" with the inlay.

Build "out" and not "in", would be my suggestion. Have a bigger plan around the set concept, then design colors and spots around that which fit.

I see you are playing with the CPC designer. It's super-useful to get ideas (as is the fantasy Paulson designer) but realize even if you are going to order with CPC, colors will vary. Based on your budget, CPC's aren't going to happen (looking at $2.64 per chip at your lowest level chip you have mocked up). Your best bet is to forget those design tools exist and stop using them. You'll back yourself into a corner you won't be able to get out of.

I can't help with design input as I'm not a designer-for-hire. There are designers in the group. IDK their pricing, but be prepared to have that be a bigger portion of your budget than you think. You have $400-$500 as a budget for an unknown number of chips (500? 600??) and if I were a designer I personally wouldn't design a chip inlay in a vacuum for less than $100, and it would likely be more. Again, not a designer for hire, but consider that as a larger part of your expense for a good custom set than you think.

I've used but not ordered cards mold (or any other "Tina" sets), but they can be very good, easily forever sets, especially on a budget. Realize that "you get what you give". Unfortunately there are no "cheap sets" anymore. Tina ceramics are budget-friendly custom chips and can be great for the vast majority of users and players.

(My personal suggestion, if you are going with ceramics, take advantage of the medium. Don't waste your time or a designers time trying to emulate clay chip. Turn things up to 11 because there are so many things one can do design-wise with a ceramic chip you will never be able to do in clay. If you want a clay set, save your money and get one.)

Last edited:
I don't believe Tina does any other molds other than Cards Mold and No Mold for group buys. Justin has been teasing a new mold coming shortly as well. You can get a custom mold made, but I believe just the setup fee for that is several times your total budget.

Fleur De Lys is only made by CPC which is again, quite a bit above your budget.

I'd probably let the ideas cook a bit longer in your brain. Keep building your catalogue of ideas. Find a good name, build off the name to find some key ideas that you can work into the artwork and branch off that into the design. The nice part of ceramics is you aren't bound to using specific edge patterns or colours if you don't want to.

And as always, if you haven't got samples, do that first!

Having an inlay design, or at least a ballpark concept for that design helps. I've designed and had made several custom sets, and playing around with spots and colors is fun, but in a vacuum, it's only playing. When I designed my most recent CPC set, it was pure agony because the inlay design was effectively set and my earliest spot plans were ruined as they didn't "work" with the inlay.

Build "out" and not "in", would be my suggestion. Have a bigger plan around the set concept, then design colors and spots around that which fit.

I see you are playing with the CPC designer. It's super-useful to get ideas (as is the fantasy Paulson designer) but realize even if you are going to order with CPC, colors will vary. Based on your budget, CPC's aren't going to happen (looking at $2.64 per chip at your lowest level chip you have mocked up). Your best bet is to forget those design tools exist and stop using them. You'll back yourself into a corner you won't be able to get out of.

I can't help with design input as I'm not a designer-for-hire. There are designers in the group. IDK their pricing, but be prepared to have that be a bigger portion of your budget than you think. You have $400-$500 as a budget for an unknown number of chips (500? 600??) and if I were a designer I personally wouldn't design a chip inlay in a vacuum for less than $100, and it would likely be more. Again, not a designer for hire, but consider that as a larger part of your expense for a good custom set than you think.

I've used but not ordered cards mold (or any other "Tina" sets), but they can be very good, easily forever sets, especially on a budget. Realize that "you get what you give". Unfortunately there are no "cheap sets" anymore. Tina ceramics are budget-friendly custom chips and can be great for the vast majority of users and players.

(My personal suggestion, if you are going with ceramics, take advantage of the medium. Don't waste your time or a designers time trying to emulate clay chip. Turn things up to 11 because there are so many things one can do design-wise with a ceramic chip you will never be able to do in clay. If you want a clay set, save your money and get one.)
Thanks for the input. Set will be 600 chips so doesnt leave a ton for design but I don't really need anything crazy. Hopefully someone out there can help me with it and can go from there.

I don't believe Tina does any other molds other than Cards Mold and No Mold for group buys. Justin has been teasing a new mold coming shortly as well. You can get a custom mold made, but I believe just the setup fee for that is several times your total budget.

I'd probably let the ideas cook a bit longer in your brain. Keep building your catalogue of ideas. Find a good name, build off the name to find some key ideas that you can work into the artwork and branch off that into the design. The nice part of ceramics is you aren't bound to using specific edge patterns or colours if you don't want to.

Thanks for the input. Thats fine and as I mentioned, the mold isn't super high on my priority list so if its cards mold or no mold then I am good with that. How do I go about getting cards mold color samples?

Being from Louisiana, I like your idea. I'm getting in on the newest no mold group buy with Broken Arrow Cardroom Supply, here on PCF. https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/no-mold-group-buy-july-2023-customs-welcome.106442/
If you want the Fleur De Lis, you could design a "faux" mold into the chip. It's basically a screened image to look like a mold and it can work pretty well. From what I've read the cards mold chips can become slippery, with some stating better results from the no mold textured. I'm going to find out. Contact @justincarothers for details on placing a custom order. He can also recommend design help. You've got to have your order finalized by July 1.

Last edited:
These are the molds that I know Tina/Antia have, I will not be surprised if there is also a THC mold in the making

No Mold
Card Mold
Diamond Mold
"Paulson" Mold
"RHC" Mold
"Scrown" Mold

1686439131901.gif

Being from Louisiana, I like your idea. I'm getting in on the newest no mold group buy with Broken Arrow Cardroom Supply, here on PCF. https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/no-mold-group-buy-july-2023-customs-welcome.106442/
If you want the Fleur De Lis, you could design a "faux" mold into the chip. It's basically a screened image to look like a mold and it can work pretty well. From what I've read the cards mold chips can become slippery, with some stating better results from the no mold textured. I'm going to find out. Contact @justincarothers for details on placing a custom order. He can also recommend design help. You've got to have your order finalized by July 1.

Currently working on it. Just about have it finalized. Gonna sit on the design for a few days and come back and make sure I still love it then have the ordered placed before July 1

1686321640866.png

I think the blue chip's yellow spot should lean more toward gold. Yes, you have white on every chip but because there is a meaning to every chip's color scheme, I understand it. I don't know how much you can change the colors without losing that. Maybe adding a background color other than white to the inlay? Either some type of color coordination of the background/chip or just maybe an off-white or parchment type background? Also if you look at the first page of the group buy, you'll see many chips with a "faux" mold. They are ghost images printed onto the chip, not molded into it. You could do the Fleur De Lis that way to add a different effect which I think would add to the chip.
I still totally understand what you are going for and I think it's a cool idea.

Last edited:
The group buy is in. Did you receive these yet? Looking forward to seeing some pics!

The group buy is in. Did you receive these yet? Looking forward to seeing some pics!
Finally got to take some pictures today. By no mean a pro so the purple doesn’t seem to pop in the 20 or the gold in the 100 in the pictures but it does. Better in person than pictures but very happy.

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpeg
    IMG_0029.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0030.jpeg
    IMG_0030.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0031.jpeg
    IMG_0031.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0032.jpeg
    IMG_0032.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0033.jpeg
    IMG_0033.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0035.jpeg
    IMG_0035.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0036.jpeg
    IMG_0036.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0037.jpeg
    IMG_0037.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0038.jpeg
    IMG_0038.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0039.jpeg
    IMG_0039.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 59

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom