First build plywood thickness (1 Viewer)

RedXC

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hello I have decided to build my first table. I don’t do a lot of building in general so I am going to keep it simple. Oval table no racetrack, no raised rail. Plan is to get Baltic birch plywood. My question is should I get 1/2” or 3/4”

thanks

dont waste your money on cabinet grade ply. Buy sheathing grade ply, nobody is going to see it.

dont waste your money on cabinet grade ply. Buy sheathing grade ply, nobody is going to see it.
ok, I went to Lowe’s and it seemed like most of the plywood was badly warped so I googled and found Baltic birch is flat. Is the sheathing stuff nice and flat as well?

Except the cheaper grades of ply are almost always warped to some degree. The better grade you buy the flatter it is.
I don’t know much about lumber but that is the reason why I was thinking the Baltic birch. Most everything else I saw at store was warped

The flattest stuff you can get is called MDO (medium density overlay). It’s plywood with a heavy craft paper bonded on either side...super smooth and very flat, but can be pricey.
I know Lowe’s often carries the 1/2”, they may have 3/4” depending on where you live.

1/2" really isn't strong (or flat) enough, but 5/8" sandply (actually 21/32", slightly thicker) is finished on one side and offers sufficient support for a poker table base and rail. Much cheaper (and lighter) than finished 3/4" birch or oak, and will not be visible after construction.

And is a nightmare if it gets wet.

That said, it can be used for the rail (1/2"). I've also used 1/4" for lightweight folding portable tabletop builds, but ensure that it is heavily protected from moisture absorption.

Building a 60” diameter table, but supplier only has 5/8” thick Baltic birch plywood. Will 5/8” work instead of 3/4”?

Building a 60” diameter table, but supplier only has 5/8” thick Baltic birch plywood. Will 5/8” work instead of 3/4”?

Are you doubling up the plywood (ie the table cross section 2 sheets thick, or attaching the middle rail cutout to the bottom of the main sheet)? If so, you should be good. If the main portion of the table is just a single sheet, you'll probably find the table will bend a little.

Are you doubling up the plywood (ie the table cross section 2 sheets thick, or attaching the middle rail cutout to the bottom of the main sheet)? If so, you should be good. If the main portion of the table is just a single sheet, you'll probably find the table will bend a little.
“or attaching the middle rail cutout to the bottom of the main sheet)?” Yes, I will be doing this. 5/8” it is then. Thank you for the feedback!

My question is should I get 1/2” or 3/4”
1/2 inch. 3/4 might be too thick for Bills Mafia

3oFzlX1UjfTx4h06vm (2).gif

Thank you for this thread! Saved me while in Home Depot and I couldn't decide between 1/2" and 3/4" ply wood for my first build I'm about to start.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom