Faux pelican cases at Sam's (1 Viewer)

I've considered picking these up to transport pistols to/from the range.

I picked up an extra one for exactly that.

F3EC7130-3118-48E0-B44D-F7AA1CE4DEB3.jpeg

What size case is that?

Also, confirm that there is a layer of solid foam, then a layer of pluckable foam, then the eggshell layer affixed to the lid.

If yes, can you buy extra sheets of pluckable foam? Thought being I could pick-and-pluck for pistols, but if I had a second piece of pick-and-pluck, it would be easy to reconfigure for other uses, not that I travel with chips all that often...

I was thinking I could get four pistols in a case, oriented like your revolver, but stacked the way you have your semis (but maybe a little tighter).

sdgehlsdgkh23oh2.PNG

What size case is that?

Also, confirm that there is a layer of solid foam, then a layer of pluckable foam, then the eggshell layer affixed to the lid.

If yes, can you buy extra sheets of pluckable foam? Thought being I could pick-and-pluck for pistols, but if I had a second piece of pick-and-pluck, it would be easy to reconfigure for other uses, not that I travel with chips all that often...

I was thinking I could get four pistols in a case, oriented like your revolver, but stacked the way you have your semis (but maybe a little tighter).

View attachment 145841

It is the 20” model that is on sale for $20.

I could have fit 4 pistols in it but it would have been very tight.

Yes, there is a solid layer of foam under the pick and pluck layer. I’m sure you could order more of the pick and pluck foam.

They are total overkill for storage and for transportation.
"Featuring air-tight, waterproof, shock-proof and anti-corrosion properties, it will protect contents in the most adverse conditions and environments."
Poker chips really don't need any of those protections. The most realistic advantage these have over a $20 cheapo case, in terms of protections that chips actually need, is that these will stay closed.
Overkill....absolutely! But at less then $30 per case (for a case that holds 1800 chips), it's a no-brainer imho.

If transporting, this thing can slide around, fall over, drop in a puddle, etc. and you don't have to worry.

I could have fit 4 pistols in it but it would have been very tight.

I'd probably stick extra mags and ammo in my range bag, so this would be strictly for pistols. I have three full size semi automatics and a snubnose revolver.

I used to transport high-end video camera equipment (God, that was 20 years ago now) and we used a similar case (don't think it was a Pelican, but it wasn't cheap either). Anyway, I preferred to trim the foam a little tighter so hit surrounded and enveloped the equipment rather than with the empty air pockets in your layout (to each his own, tho). Just thinking with tighter foam, four pistols is plenty doable without sacrificing any protection.

And FWIW, plenty of pick-and-pluck foam options on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/pick-pluck-foam/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:pick & pluck foam

Check for foam companies in your area. There’s a local company in PA that takes walkins on Saturdays, to perform custom cuts for customers. Small jobs, like guns cases, cameras, etc.

Overkill, hardly.

I feel better putting my 1000's dollars worth of chips in one of these rather than a flimsy aluminum case or a plexi bird cage, but YMMV.

Plus the cost is cheaper per/chip for storage, the MM 24" with wheels can hold 2000 or more chips for $40-$50. How much is a "decent" 500-1000 ct aluminum case or a 1000 ct birdcage run?

Can't say that something that offers more protection is ever bad. And if I need to see my chips I take them out and play with them.

I'd probably stick extra mags and ammo in my range bag, so this would be strictly for pistols. I have three full size semi automatics and a snubnose revolver.

I used to transport high-end video camera equipment (God, that was 20 years ago now) and we used a similar case (don't think it was a Pelican, but it wasn't cheap either). Anyway, I preferred to trim the foam a little tighter so hit surrounded and enveloped the equipment rather than with the empty air pockets in your layout (to each his own, tho). Just thinking with tighter foam, four pistols is plenty doable without sacrificing any protection.

And FWIW, plenty of pick-and-pluck foam options on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/pick-pluck-foam/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:pick & pluck foam

This foam is pretty light a tears away easily. I was trying to make it tight around each one, as I was putting them in and out the foam would break away anyways.

If you want it tight you’ll probably need to buy a better quality foam or get a company to custom cut some.

This foam is pretty light a tears away easily. I was trying to make it tight around each one, as I was putting them in and out the foam would break away anyways.

If you want it tight you’ll probably need to buy a better quality foam or get a company to custom cut some.

Custom cut? Turn it over, trace the outline with a marker, cut inside that trace line (1/4"?) with a sharp knife. When you flip it back over, you don't see the trace lines.

That's how I did it with the tools in my tool case.

EDIT: There's always this option too.

f transporting, this thing can slide around, fall over, drop in a puddle, etc. and you don't have to worry.
If it’s not a puddle of acid, you’ll probably be okay with any case.
I agree with you and @TheBigTater that these are cost effective per chip. And for guys who are moving 1200, 1500, or 2,000 chips, what’s the alternative, a rubbermade tub? So yeah, these are great for large quantities.
Believe me, I actually spent an hour yesterday trying to figure out how to squeeze an 800 chip set into a custom foam for the same seahorse laptop case that @RainmanTrail uses for his Wynn tourney set. There’s just not quite enough space. And the next size up options are huge.

So, these makers mark / pelican type cases aren’t right for my (smaller set) purposes. But for larger quantities of chips, the protection is overkill, the footprint is considerable, but they make sense.

They are total overkill for storage and for transportation.
"Featuring air-tight, waterproof, shock-proof and anti-corrosion properties, it will protect contents in the most adverse conditions and environments."
Poker chips really don't need any of those protections. The most realistic advantage these have over a $20 cheapo case, in terms of protections that chips actually need, is that these will stay closed.
I have several cheapo aluminum cases for 500 chips and the handles and latches are total crap. The sides bow when you carry them by the handles I don't trust the latches at all. The hinges are barely reveted on and the case edges scratch surfaces. The rivets tear thru the aluminum as well. What good is a case that only protects chips and has to sit flat to be trusted. If that's what I want an acrylic case is better suited IMO. These plastic cases are 1000 times better in every category. I would probably agree about 'overkill' from a pure stand point but for the same or less money than you'll spend on an aluminum case that is inferior in almost every aspect these are a way better option and much more functional

I have several cheapo aluminum cases for 500 chips and the handles and latches are total crap. The sides bow when you carry them by the handles I don't trust the latches at all. The hinges are barely reveted on and the case edges scratch surfaces. The rivets tear thru the aluminum as well. What good is a case that only protects chips and has to sit flat to be trusted. If that's what I want an acrylic case is better suited IMO. These plastic cases are 1000 times better in every category. I would probably agree about 'overkill' from a pure stand point but for the same or less money than you'll spend on an aluminum case that is inferior in almost every aspect these are a way better option and much more functional

This mirrors my experience with the 8-10 cheapo cases I have used over the years, ranging from 300 to 1000 capacity. I wrap a velcro strap or two around them in case the latches/hinges/handle give out so chips won't go flying.

I'd be very careful using cheap aluminum cases for really nice chips, and in general would say going with two smaller-sized cases is a safer bet than trying to fit them all in one case. Fewer chips means less stress on the handles/latches/hinges. Also, I have found the ones that are a few bucks more than the absolute-lowest price option to be considerably better quality sometimes.

I just got my first Pelican-style case after wanting one for years, and though I did use the word "overkill" in that thread, it was in reference to the additional cost and protection (for my purposes) of the much more expensive Pelican Air case.

There are definitely sets around here that justify using extreme protection, especially if they are traveling far or frequently to games. How extreme, how expensive, or how overkill depends on the set, the person, and the circumstances.

My favorite thing about these cases, and others like them, is that you can store chips in racks. Makes it much easier to pull chips in nice stacks quickly, all from one box.

Or just trimming the fat. These are older stores in less desirable locations for the most part. I bet most if not all of them do not have cafeterias. My main one in Goshen Indiana closed. Have to go to Mishawaka now. Heading there tonight to get some 20"ers.

If on clearance, I will back up the truck and pick up some extras. Can probably craigslist them for $30 once they run out.

My Sam's, the one that is staying open, had a bunch of 20s and 24s. 24s were not terribly discounted, and they are friggin huge, so I passed. Just got a couple of the 20s for $20 each.

All of them are smokin deals, but the 24” especially blows away everything else of comparable size, in terms of price.

Got my 20" case today! Wow I was blown away by the quality for $35. And really like how it has 4 lock down buckles which provide an air tight seal!

Here is a picture of it comfortably holding 10 Racks of PCA Tournament 43mm (2 Racks high), Matsui Plaque Rack with 30 plaques, with room for cards and dealer buttons. This is with the lower foam layer still in. Comes with 4 layers of foam.

View attachment 115410

Side view to show the Plaque case isn't really sticking up as high as the camera angle shows.

View attachment 115408
Where did you get the plaque holder case?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom