Faux pelican cases at Sam's (2 Viewers)

One of the Sam's Clubs by my house has at least 30 of the 20" cases. I was there yesterday and almost bought several but quickly realized that I have one and not sure how many I "need' I almost purchased in case someone needed one or two but then decided that shipping would be a pain or cost prohibitive!

David

Holds my chips niiiiiiiice.

t2pDdABj9cWz7jodlYAvwFsTFKArVcLJJW3M5gMwoJCEZXS4BUMW4fdeMwZa5haKCRDL7y9Yq1UQqlv0ZtPVLvYqYMjPuJVk4_aasi8QxLgzcQrERwLvlliZbu2kDMDGxnqb6pyQ5JTPVAIbxBmWkaqxG6w_19ic0cwZt4Fd4rZzSLzn4u9YtM7Xr8fE7lMO0wgY0OguW1BS2TkSvEFVlNhQtaHxDIIzUvgKxdCUhQvZl8KdEJ3eth-xZho2HaVTIMjol-yfKXed-Yg8p3_FEDzfxG_KI2QrgxBVL7SSfRyYPEU5I4NO8yfZDh1z5rg085bnAvhTXLmBQ583fRoTkSNKUepG6ps7ZEd9-ph_1QeLb3-LwxbAYb-11FX3EWWS07fjp0VNxwmukYIKDA13IiAi8-axMocbfwyux5VpfJ4-vsvP6-QDb8OllerhFzgxZbzd21wUyfm-3MfJVUgAttOy4zhnXtG2ZxA3Ian46KuFnmoY3rcgUNVrEE4XX85_3b8858yjnNkBKVrNi1sFqxbcrZy6GW5E3-T32YQoE99Svh7p3TJ59BzvbDZY5hWHY4UwC27AoQM2vQB4tYX5I1G_jDXFLYP5yIQ6J8g=w1270-h715-no

Like Rich Corinthian Leather.

Holds my chips niiiiiiiice.

t2pDdABj9cWz7jodlYAvwFsTFKArVcLJJW3M5gMwoJCEZXS4BUMW4fdeMwZa5haKCRDL7y9Yq1UQqlv0ZtPVLvYqYMjPuJVk4_aasi8QxLgzcQrERwLvlliZbu2kDMDGxnqb6pyQ5JTPVAIbxBmWkaqxG6w_19ic0cwZt4Fd4rZzSLzn4u9YtM7Xr8fE7lMO0wgY0OguW1BS2TkSvEFVlNhQtaHxDIIzUvgKxdCUhQvZl8KdEJ3eth-xZho2HaVTIMjol-yfKXed-Yg8p3_FEDzfxG_KI2QrgxBVL7SSfRyYPEU5I4NO8yfZDh1z5rg085bnAvhTXLmBQ583fRoTkSNKUepG6ps7ZEd9-ph_1QeLb3-LwxbAYb-11FX3EWWS07fjp0VNxwmukYIKDA13IiAi8-axMocbfwyux5VpfJ4-vsvP6-QDb8OllerhFzgxZbzd21wUyfm-3MfJVUgAttOy4zhnXtG2ZxA3Ian46KuFnmoY3rcgUNVrEE4XX85_3b8858yjnNkBKVrNi1sFqxbcrZy6GW5E3-T32YQoE99Svh7p3TJ59BzvbDZY5hWHY4UwC27AoQM2vQB4tYX5I1G_jDXFLYP5yIQ6J8g=w1270-h715-no

Like Rich Corinthian Leather.

I like the 1k layout. Going to stick with that for mine too. Is that the stock foam ... how did you handle the not pick/pluck layer?

ceKew5n.jpg

Long sharp serrated kitchen knife did the trick. It wasn't perfect, but it's the bottom layer, so as long as it is close I was fine with it.

My issue is that my chips are down far enough that the top doesn't quite push against the top chip racks enough and chips can get loose. So I will put some thinner layer of foam or other spongy material on top when storing/transporting and it will be fine.

Haha I have the same exact issue and same exact solution in those Pelicans! Can confirm, works great. (y) :thumbsup:

Long sharp serrated kitchen knife did the trick. It wasn't perfect, but it's the bottom layer, so as long as it is close I was fine with it.

My issue is that my chips are down far enough that the top doesn't quite push against the top chip racks enough and chips can get loose. So I will put some thinner layer of foam or other spongy material on top when storing/transporting and it will be fine.
Exactly what I did with my 16" cases. Used some leftover 1" rail foam for the top & bottom

My issue is that my chips are down far enough that the top doesn't quite push against the top chip racks enough and chips can get loose.
I use inverted racks on top. Keeps everything snug during transit, and I always have extra racks available for color-ups, etc.

20180115_224900.jpg

Last edited:
I did not cut down the second layer.

2017-07-31-14-43-29-jpg.112157

The chips in the above photo are 2 racks deep (as you'd like for the 1000 chip setup). They sit a little above the first layer of foam, but they do not go anywhere when the case is closed. They hold tight against the lid foam and the bottom layer foam.

It also makes rack removal/replacement easier.

I snagged one of the 20” cases (thanks to David O). However, it’s a tad bigger than I’m comfortable with for transporting chips to a game. At the moment, I’m holding off on plucking until I make up my mind. I can always use a case to store/transport guns.

I really want the laptop,(single layer) style case, but can’t justify spending $150...

I do have my pelican case, which fits a 600 chip set perfectly, along with all the accessories.

AD1CB2CB-F813-4AC1-8A16-CCB7AAE3F02E.jpeg

The Member’s Mark 20” case has a listed internal footprint identical to a Pelican 1520, though I don’t know if they use the same P&P foam or if their foams are interchangeable.

Along the lines of what Trihonda was saying, anything over 1000 chips in a hard case becomes an oversized 30+ pound dumbbell to be lugging around.

Yeah the 20" MM cases hold 1200 chips beautifully but they are heavy with that many chips. They are definitely still manageable though with the oversized carry handle. And it is actually easier to carry around 2 loaded 20" cases as it balances you out for those long walks. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Yeah the 20" MM cases hold 1200 chips beautifully but they are heavy with that many chips. They are definitely still manageable though with the oversized carry handle. And it is actually easier to carry around 2 loaded 20" cases as it balances you out for those long walks. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I like the way you think. Another case and moar chipes!

Anyone have a good way to replace the foam after it's been plucked out? For instance if you want to reconfigure your chip layout in your case or change quantities, etc.?

Anyone have a good way to replace the foam after it's been plucked out? For instance if you want to reconfigure your chip layout in your case or change quantities, etc.?

Foam glue does exist, though I have not tried it. Gorilla glue seems to be pretty widely recommended as well.

I'd probably go with a foam-tipped brush style applicator rather than spraying or applying directly.

If you have a MM case figure out which Pelican case it is equivalent to and you can order replacement foam to fit the case. Just search Amazon or google "pelican replacement foam". This also works if you screw up on the plucking.

I like the 1k layout. Going to stick with that for mine too. Is that the stock foam ... how did you handle the not pick/pluck layer?

ceKew5n.jpg

I usually stack mine chips 2 racks high plucking only the top layer P&P so they stick up above the top edge of the case/foam. The egg crate foam will decompress down when the lid closes and hold the chips snug, no movement whatever.

membersmark-jpg.84888

FYI

A word of warning, some of you may have already noticed this. If you store you Pelican/MM cases upright and loaded with chips, the weight of the chips will eventually compress/mash the foam on the sides and will become disfigured. It is best to store them flat if you have them loaded with chips. The thinner side pieces of foam can't hold up to 1000-1200+ chips pressing on it. The larger bottom solid piece of foam will hold up fine with just a little compression from the weight.

Last edited:
Noticed these have fallen below $30 on jet, so I joined the club and snapped one up.

I blame each and every one of you for being such a terrible collective influence. Thanks a lot.

Will try to put together a crude side-by-side-by-side comparison of the Pelican 1500, Royal 801, and MM 20" cases when I have them all together in one place.

Noticed these have fallen below $30 on jet, so I joined the club and snapped one up.

I blame each and every one of you for being such a terrible collective influence. Thanks a lot.

Will try to put together a crude side-by-side-by-side comparison of the Pelican 1500, Royal 801, and MM 20" cases when I have them all together in one place.

Would love a link to these on jet.com. Can't find them there at all.

It looks like the 3rd party Jet vendor I used is out of stock. I wasn’t able to find them on there either.

I posted the link in the other Pelican case thread. Found it with a google search of 'Members Mark 20" case" -- it popped right up in the sponsored section.

Problem is that jet.com does not have them listed or identified as "case" - so using that word on their site will fail.

Yeah.. the jet.com search sucks horribly. Sam's online is out of stock and the sub $30 dollar price mentioned at Jet was very enticing. Looks like I will just have to keep my eyes peeled for another sale/deal.

I 'be been searching lately for a lightweight alternative to the dedicated and sturdy Versa Deluxe 500ct case (to which I would add 2 hard plastic tubes for another 25 chips each, removing one card deck holder).

I examined the possibility of getting the lightweight version of the same company (Versa ABS 500ct) which is less than half the weight - and the money (at Discount Poker Shop, because elsewhere it's pretty close) and its ABS plastic is advertised as more impact-resistant than the usual aluminum crap. Its latches and hinges, however, seem to be of the same low quality as the latter. Containing the chips in soft tubes within it would be an extra safety measure, but I don't know if that would help much in case the unthinkable (the whole thing falling apart) happened...

So, I turned my sights on the Pelican-type cases, tolerating some extra cost (plus the racks, which are helpful anyway) for the sake of weight-saving, accepting their generally swollen, ugly looks.
I need one accommodating 6 X100-chip racks, plus a couple of card decks and buttons
Price-wise, I would accept Seahorse SE-710 ($76-80) and I like its flatness and capability of one-floor accommodation of racks, but it weighs exactly the same (7+ pounds) with the dedicated off-the-shelf Versa Deluxe ($50).
Only other reasonable option I found is the fine quality Nanuk 910, at $52 (and only 3 pounds empty). Internal Dimensions "13.2 X 9.2 X 4.1". Do they mean completely empty, or with some elementary, non-removable padding at the bottom?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1017174-REG/nanuk_910_1000_protective_910_case_with.html

Two "floors" of racks stand 4in high leaving only 0.1in of clearance for foam padding in this case. Would that be OK?

Edit: Answer directly "from the horse's mouth": Interior dimensions are measured on bare plastic, with no protective foam at all. So, for stacking 2 racks (total 4 inches high) with some protection you need at least the Nanuk 915 (6.2in height).

Last edited:
Has anyone tried finding a replacement pick and pluck foam for these yet? There seem to be a lot of options and I want to pick one that works. Want to revise my config a bit and plastidip them.

When plucking the foam, is it best to pluck about 1/2 row less than the size of the racks in order to get a snug fit?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom