Faux pelican cases at Sam's (3 Viewers)

Larger Members Mark cases with wheels on sale at Sam's $49.98

IMG_0204.JPG

Finally got around to setting up my case. I decided to only put 500 chips per case and will be picking up a second one this week since they are on sale. This way each case will weigh less and there will be extra padding. Why not spend the extra $50 for a case to protect several thousand dollars worth of chips!

View attachment 135207
May as well cut through the middle layer of foam so you can safely & easily double this capacity.

May as well cut through the middle layer of foam so you can safely & easily double this capacity.

They are on sale now for $30 so I bought a second one instead. I’d rather keep the weight down on each one and carry two of them when I use them to travel.

Ok did some simple layouts. First the MM 24" P&P foam template is 34x26, each square in 9/16" in size. The MM foam squares are not always the same size as Pelican/other brands foam squares so YMMV when using the template for any other brand besides MM.

MM 24" P&P foam template.

blank grid 24 inch MM.jpg

Second, these layouts are made to fit my racks. You will need to measure and adjust for whatever racks/boxes/etc. you plan on using as all racks are not equal in width/length. I use 66.7 & 67.7 branded racks from Spinettis which fit "snugly" in a 5x14 hole in the MM foam. I also use Matsui 43mm Clamshell cases which fit "really snug" in a 5x15 hole in the MM foam.

Here is one for a 800/1600/2400 layout depending on whether you go 1/2/3 layers deep. If you go 3 deep you will be cutting through the solid foam layer piece that isn't P&P. If I want to fit 43mm racks I would remove the middle row of support foam.

800-1600-2400 grid 24 inch MM.jpg

And here is a 1000/2000/3000 layout for maximizing space. I could use the bottom 2 rows for 43mm racks is needed.

900-1800-2700 grid 24 inch MM.jpg

All this is on paper, I haven't done any physical plucking with the 24" yet. And like i said all this is based on my racks & MM foam, YMMV depending on whatever brand of racks/boxes/etc... you use.

Last edited:
I received some chips that were packed in 4 racks; 2 racks high.
50% of the chips on the bottom were severely damage on the edge. I'm assuming the damage was caused by the top rack resting on the chips on the bottom. I've never seen anybody post similar experience so maybe damage was caused by something else but I will never store my babies stacked in racks.

I received some chips that were packed in 4 racks; 2 racks high.
50% of the chips on the bottom were severely damage on the edge. I'm assuming the damage was caused by the top rack resting on the chips on the bottom. I've never seen anybody post similar experience so maybe damage was caused by something else but I will never store my babies stacked in racks.

Anyone else seen this before? I just gave my brother a Member's Mark case, and he plans to use it with chip racks stacked 2 high. Will this be a problem?

I use the 4x25 chip boxes in my Pelican, so I hadn't really thought of potential problems with chip racks stacked.

I've stored my Paulsons 5 racks high for years sitting on a shelf. No problemo at all. With that said, I've never stored chips in these cases, just used them for transport. I have a shat ton of new chip boxes so that is what I will use when storing in this cases.

I have never had a single broken chip from transporting them in 10-rack chip carriers (stacked five high x 2), and dont expect to see any damage from transporting them in racks inside a padded MM case (stacked two high x 5).

However, ~shipping~ chips in racks is another matter entirely, and not somethimg I recommend. It can be done safely (racks tightly wrapped in stretch wrap and completely encased in thick bubble wrap, inside a very padded double-thickness shipping box), but isn't worth the extra trouble and shipping expense imo.

I also just bought 2 more of the 20” cases for $19.91 each.

They can be bought online but have to be picked up in store only.

Last edited:
I have a Pelican 1510. Not only is a great for transport, but storage also. I use 4x25 boxes. It can be a quick "go box" for a poker game -- always ready so if you either get short notice of a gem, you pick it up and go, or you like being ready well in advance.

Just came to post that I stopped by Sam's today and saw that they had the 20" cases for under $20. Picked one up, now to figure out how to configure it.

I finally picked up a 20” case for myself

8C8D4AC1-3FD2-46A1-B646-819849D60823.jpeg

The 24” ones with wheels were down to $39.99.

I've had mine for a while now and I do like it, however...
  • It's super bulky. Great for protecting chips while traveling, but for in-home use, it cries out "overkill"
  • It's a bit heavy. Then again, chips are already heavy, so I'm not sure a few pounds more matters.
  • It's opaque. Sorry, but I do sometimes just sit and look at my shelves of chips... and a black case.
Just things to think about if you are thinking about getting one.

I went back and forth about buying one because I rarely travel with chips, but when the price dropped to < $20 I could no longer resist.

I went back and forth about buying one because I rarely travel with chips, but when the price dropped to < $20 I could no longer resist.
Plus you never know when you may need to have protection against a monsoon/hurricane/etc. When you take cover, the chips take cover...in these things.

Plus you never know when you may need to have protection against a monsoon/hurricane/etc. When you take cover, the chips take cover...in these things.

I guess I need to decide which set is “case worthy” :cautious:

Monthly turbo, sitting about 2x starting stack.
IMG_20180106_202652.jpg

I’m envious AF of yous that live near these deals.

The closest one to me is in Auburn (some 150+ minutes away by car) but I’m starting to get the bug to grab a couple of each size case the next time I make it to Seattle.

I’m envious AF of yous that live near these deals.

The closest one to me is in Auburn (some 150+ minutes away by car) but I’m starting to get the bug to grab a couple of each size case the next time I make it to Seattle.
They are so worth it even at the $35 online price (and even with the 10% nonmember extra cost) shipped right to your door if you really want them.

Or jet.com has them under $30 each and if you order 2 you get free shipping. I haven’t ordered from jet but just saw the deal today.

Last edited:
Picked up 3 of the Member's Mark 20" cases. At $20 a pop they are a great deal and all 3 cost me less than 1 on sale Pelican 1450.
The MMs are great cases... yes, the Pelican case is better, but both are overkill for storing or transporting chips.

are these good to have to store chips or just for transportation ?

I have all my chips in Versa Cases I bought 2 of these 1 when they were $35 and another now for $20 just wondering if these are good for storage ?

They are great for storage! They aren't great for looking at your chips, if you are inclined to do that, unless you open it up. But if you put your chips in a closet and only pull them out when needed, they are great for storing chips.

are these good to have to store chips or just for transportation ?

I have all my chips in Versa Cases I bought 2 of these 1 when they were $35 and another now for $20 just wondering if these are good for storage ?
They are total overkill for storage and for transportation.
"Featuring air-tight, waterproof, shock-proof and anti-corrosion properties, it will protect contents in the most adverse conditions and environments."
Poker chips really don't need any of those protections. The most realistic advantage these have over a $20 cheapo case, in terms of protections that chips actually need, is that these will stay closed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom