Espresso on Game Night (1 Viewer)

I accidentally stumbled onto this thread and now I'm looking at my poor Hario grinder like this:

The Niche looks killer and James Hoffman's YouTube channel is amazing (and a massive rabbit hole)!
You reminded me that I have a Hario Skerton sitting in the cabinet gathering dust. I added a minor mod to improve the consistency of coarse grinds for my French press, and I replaced the handle with a nut so that I could grind with a cordless drill.

Don't judge - it worked for me for a long time until I got my current grinder. :cool

Anyway, maybe I'll play around with it a bit tomorrow and see if I can get a passable fine grind out of it. My Rocky doesn't get here until Saturday, so it can't hurt to play around. Worst case, I waste a little time and a few dozen grams of coffee beans.

As much as I like good coffee I am not making espresso for 9 guys at the poker table..

Standard coffee maker it is..

So after a lot of hemming, hawing, and analysis paralysis, I finally just took the plunge.

View attachment 758402

My thought is that it's a solid starter machine that will give me what I need to learn without breaking the bank. It also left me plenty of budget for a new grinder and other accessories/mods. As I expected, my no-name grinder is garbage when it comes to espresso.

I've got a Rancilio Rocky on the way, so hopefully this weekend I'll be able to make a passable espresso.
They pull great shots! It's harder to get the milk just right due to the small boiler, but for the price you can do great espresso. I have/had a New Baby plus a Rocky for years and was perfect for just me.

This is a great espresso machine. Your problem is the grinder.
That machine blew up on me after about 6-7 months. The heating element popped - white dust everywhere!

So I got a new one.

That machine blew up on me after about 6-7 months. The heating element popped - white dust everywhere!

So I got a new one.
Tempted to offer to buy it and fix it. Heating elements aren't hard to replace. Last thing I need is to get in to espresso again though.

I have a killer grinder for sale though!

Tempted to offer to buy it and fix it. Heating elements aren't hard to replace. Last thing I need is to get in to espresso again though.

I have a killer grinder for sale though!
It was an excuse to upgrade to a dual boiler machine. Sure, I could have fixed it, but please don't tell my wife that.

What grinder?

So I got a new one.
Probably would have lasted longer if it wasn’t for overuse at the meet up. Unfortunately now along with a hot dog roller espresso machines are now a requirement. What happened to the cold brew crack coffee?

Probably would have lasted longer if it wasn’t for overuse at the meet up. Unfortunately now along with a hot dog roller espresso machines are now a requirement. What happened to the cold brew crack coffee?
We used the new one at the meetup. Who knew grown men would want delicious caramel macchiatos at the poker table? I didn't :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Seeing this thread bumped made me break it out again!
20210819_073826.jpg

It was an excuse to upgrade to a dual boiler machine. Sure, I could have fixed it, but please don't tell my wife that.

What grinder?
Nuova Simonelli MDX with doser

Attachments

• grinder front.jpg
    grinder front.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 59
  • grinder side.jpg
    grinder side.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 52
Don't judge - it worked for me for a long time until I got my current grinder. :cool
Absolutely no judging from me. My Hario Mill has and continues to serve dutifully (albeit painfully slow). I'm interested in your mod of the Skerton and your drill. I've been contemplating that off and on but never got around to trying it out. Would love to see it mocked up.

Oh and the Niche is in stock for anyone who is interested.

..... I'm in the market for my own machine, and I'd love some advice.
........ I'd like to hear what you guys recommend. My budget is around $1500......
I have had a Breville Barista Express for almost 3 yrs now and I am sure I have made at least 2000+ espresso's with it. It is always either at the top or very high on any "best of" lists for good bang for the buck semi automatic etc. It has worked flawlessly the entire time and have been very happy with it.

So after a lot of hemming, hawing, and analysis paralysis, I finally just took the plunge.
I've got a Rancilio Rocky on the way, so hopefully this weekend I'll be able to make a passable espresso.
so, looks like you already made a decision so I am a few days late with my recommendation for you, but for anyone considering one of these, I highly recommend the Breville Barista Express roughly $700

I was just gonna say
Nespresso all the way
Mine has been a warrior still kicking many years later.
love the way it works with the foam and all and great flavor
I started out with nespresso and I loved it for about 2 yrs. It is very convenient, but considerably more expensive (not to purchase, but to actually make espresso drinks) because you are constantly buying the pods and are basically at the mercy of nespresso pricing.

As much as I like good coffee I am not making espresso for 9 guys at the poker table..

Standard coffee maker it is..
9 espresso's is a bit much, but if only a few others take you up on it then I would consider doing it. It does take a few minutes, but is not all that big a deal....

I have had a Breville Barista Express for almost 3 yrs now and I am sure I have made at least 2000+ espresso's with it. It is always either at the top or very high on any "best of" lists for good bang for the buck semi automatic etc. It has worked flawlessly the entire time and have been very happy with it.

so, looks like you already made a decision so I am a few days late with my recommendation for you, but for anyone considering one of these, I highly recommend the Breville Barista Express roughly $700

I started out with nespresso and I loved it for about 2 yrs. It is very convenient, but considerably more expensive because you are constantly buying the pods and are basically at the mercy of nespresso pricing.

9 espresso's is a bit much, but if only a few others take you up on it then I would consider doing it. It does take a few minutes, but is not all that big a deal....
You don't know my guys... I would stand by the espresso machine whole night.... I prefer to concentrate on my game

Absolutely no judging from me. My Hario Mill has and continues to serve dutifully (albeit painfully slow). I'm interested in your mod of the Skerton and your drill. I've been contemplating that off and on but never got around to trying it out. Would love to see it mocked up.

Oh and the Niche is in stock for anyone who is interested.
It's a simple drop-in burr stabilizer to reduce wobble when you've got it set for a coarse grind. I think this is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Horse-Products-KI-100-Skerton/dp/B012HDKKQ6

As far as the drill mod, I just took off the grinder handle and screwed a 5/8" nut on the threads. Then when I wanted to grind, I had a small cordless drill with a 5/8" driver that I just put over the nut and ran on a low torque setting.

It wasn't pretty or permanent, but it was much easier on the arms than several minutes of cranking by hand. :)

If it's any consolation, the Barista Express came in a close second (alongside the Silvia). It seems like a super capable entry level machine that would have worked well for me.

Ultimately, I decided that I wanted to invest a little more and have a separate grinder. If/when I decide to step up from the Gaggia, I think the Rocky will be up to the task, and I won't have to buy both.

If it's any consolation, the Barista Express came in a close second (alongside the Silvia). It seems like a super capable entry level machine that would have worked well for me.

Ultimately, I decided that I wanted to invest a little more and have a separate grinder. If/when I decide to step up from the Gaggia, I think the Rocky will be up to the task, and I won't have to buy both.
The separate grinder is probably marginally better, but my wife is not a fan of the extra appliances on the counter so there is that....

Sounds like you made a good decision

but to actually make espresso drinks) because you are constantly buying the pods and are basically at the mercy of nespresso pricing.
You can reuse the pods with a little kit

Best is the stainless reusable one though

CAPMESSO Reusable Coffee Capsules, Stainless Steel Refillable Vertuo Pods Compatible with Nespresso Vertuoline GCA1 and Delonghi ENV135 (8OZ- The Newest Version) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082KCRFJM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FSB9M53574B7NDDSNN2J

You can reuse the pods with a little kit

Best is the stainless reusable one though

CAPMESSO Reusable Coffee Capsules, Stainless Steel Refillable Vertuo Pods Compatible with Nespresso Vertuoline GCA1 and Delonghi ENV135 (8OZ- The Newest Version) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082KCRFJM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FSB9M53574B7NDDSNN2J
I never owned a Nespresso, but I did fall victim to Keurig once.

The best coffee decision I ever made was getting rid of it. The second best was buying reusable pods and putting fresh, quality coffee in them while I still had it.

Ok you guys convinced me to try the nespresso. Only espresso or americanos for me usually. Which machine do I need?

Ok you guys convinced me to try the nespresso. Only espresso or americanos for me usually. Which machine do I need?
I am philosophically against drinking coffee from any type of pod or k cup etc. However, I stayed at a hotel a few weeks ago and they had a nice Nespresso machine in the lobby. By the end of the trip my wife and I exclusively were drinking coffee from that machine. In the words of the missus, "every sip is like heaven". And I agreed.

Now I am stuck since I don't want to buy a Nespresso machine but I want to figure out how to make coffee that good at home. There was incredible crema and I couldn't believe it was just straight coffee with no milk added.

Any feedback is welcome.

I am philosophically against drinking coffee from any type of pod or k cup etc. However, I stayed at a hotel a few weeks ago and they had a nice Nespresso machine in the lobby. By the end of the trip my wife and I exclusively were drinking coffee from that machine. In the words of the missus, "every sip is like heaven". And I agreed.

Now I am stuck since I don't want to buy a Nespresso machine but I want to figure out how to make coffee that good at home. There was incredible crema and I couldn't believe it was just straight coffee with no milk added.

Any feedback is welcome.
I just bought a Gaggia Classic Pro ($450), and I've ordered a Rancilio Rocky grinder ($400) which should arrive tomorrow.

In my far-from-expert opinion, that's probably about the cheapest setup you can buy to learn how to make quality espresso.

I just bought a Gaggia Classic Pro ($450), and I've ordered a Rancilio Rocky grinder ($400) which should arrive tomorrow.

In my far-from-expert opinion, that's probably about the cheapest setup you can buy to learn how to make quality espresso.
Also forgot to mention that Breville has some decent all-in-one options in the same price range like the Barista Express.

If you don't mind spending more, there are some super-automatic options that do just about everything for you but drink it.

It's a deep rabbit hole. :)

Please give a trip report after you have had some time to try that setup out. I don't mind spending a bit of money but probably don't need those fancy machines that cost 5k. When I did a bunch of research a year ago or so those Gaggia machines kept coming up...

From the little research I have done a good quality grinder is step 1. Now we just use our Vitamix machine which is effective at destruction but is weak with regards to consistency.

Please give a trip report after you have had some time to try that setup out. I don't mind spending a bit of money but probably don't need those fancy machines that cost 5k. When I did a bunch of research a year ago or so those Gaggia machines kept coming up...

From the little research I have done a good quality grinder is step 1. Now we just use our Vitamix machine which is effective at destruction but is weak with regards to consistency.
When the Gaggia arrived a couple days ago, I tried pulling a couple shots using coffee from my current cheapo grinder, which does a great job on medium-sized grinds for immersion brewing.

Even on the finest setting and using a pressurized portafilter, my shots ran extremely fast (about 8s for 36g) and were very sour. I promptly turned it off and won't use it again until the Rocky arrives tomorrow.

I'll be sure to post here with results.

Make sure you use a quality freshly roasted coffee. Lots of excellent roasters are out there that can put you on a subscription with coffee every 1-3 weeks depending on your consumption.

sounds like you need a new grinder for sure. IMO the most important thing in a grinder is consistency. Keeps you from having to continuously redialing in your machine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom