Espresso on Game Night (1 Viewer)

Just got this guy. Nespresso citiz. Superb, especially for $200 and minimal counter space

11794363-321D-4BD6-AEE7-6204EDB618D6.jpeg

Gaggia Velasco super-automatic. I was looking for a steam wand instead of a milk device, and a water tank that is accessible from the front. Bingo! Because I hate espresso, I have no idea if it brews a good one, but I figured out how to make an awesome caffe latte. Better than Starbucks, and I don't have to leave the house.

20200212_151215.jpg

Gaggia Velasco super-automatic. I was looking for a steam wand instead of a milk device, and a water tank that is accessible from the front. Bingo! Because I hate espresso, I have no idea if it brews a good one, but I figured out how to make an awesome caffe latte. Better than Starbucks, and I don't have to leave the house.

View attachment 406732
If the latte is better then it’s probably better espresso!

I would never drink anything with a full shot in it after noon but really like James Hoffman's affogato recipe for night time. I don't have an ice cream machine but I'm pretty sure any ice cream without egg as an ingredient works. Give it a try!

BFD70F8E-E19C-4E73-B9DE-5842960980B6_1_105_c.jpeg

It's not La Marzocco, but it works for me. I am especially fond of the Niche Zero grinder. We only infrequently have coffee at poker.

I'm resurrecting this thread. After having some fine shots at Degen in Dallas last week thanks to @CraigT78's new Bezzera Matrix, I'm in the market for my own machine, and I'd love some advice.

I expect to use this mostly for espressos and americanos for myself. However, my teenage daughters enjoy Starbucks sugar-bombs, and I'm hoping to teach them to make their own milk drinks at home.

I have a couple options in mind, but I'd like to hear what you guys recommend. My budget is around $1500. I have a surprisingly decent off-brand grinder for drip/immersion/pour over brewing, and I've used finer grinds in my Aeropress with some success. I've never used it for true espresso, though, so there's a good chance I'll have to upgrade.

So after a lot of hemming, hawing, and analysis paralysis, I finally just took the plunge.

1629333946571.png

My thought is that it's a solid starter machine that will give me what I need to learn without breaking the bank. It also left me plenty of budget for a new grinder and other accessories/mods. As I expected, my no-name grinder is garbage when it comes to espresso.

I've got a Rancilio Rocky on the way, so hopefully this weekend I'll be able to make a passable espresso.

So after a lot of hemming, hawing, and analysis paralysis, I finally just took the plunge.

View attachment 758402

My thought is that it's a solid starter machine that will give me what I need to learn without breaking the bank. It also left me plenty of budget for a new grinder and other accessories/mods. As I expected, my no-name grinder is garbage when it comes to espresso.

I've got a Rancilio Rocky on the way, so hopefully this weekend I'll be able to make a passable espresso.
Great place to start.

The most important peice of equipment in coffee making is a grinder. You will make better coffee with a $1000 grinder & $300 machine vs a $1000 machine & $300 grinder.

Great place to start.

The most important peice of equipment in coffee making is a grinder. You will make better coffee with a $1000 grinder & $300 machine vs a $1000 machine & $300 grinder.
Yeah, I've used a Rocky a few times, and for the money it's a beast of a machine. I think it'll serve me well for a while.

Great place to start.

And Niche Zero just became available for back order for the first time in forever.

And Niche Zero just became available for back order for the first time in forever.
Well, maybe a good thing I didn't realize this when I ordered the Rocky. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Plus I wouldn't get it until October, and I don't think I can wait that long to start using the Gaggia.

For anyone wanting to learn more about espresso making or find awesome reviews on equipment, this is one of my favourite youtube channels.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Seattlecoffeegearinfo/videos
I've enjoyed their videos, as well as James Hoffman and a few other coffee channels.

The one that I'm not a big fan of is Whole Latte Love. Their reviews never say anything negative - because everything they review, they sell. So while you can get some decent comparisons from them, take any review on their channel with an entire shaker of salt.

Are these worth the hype? And at what level? My next grinder is going to be a Ceado single dose. Should I be looking at the Zero?

Are these worth the hype? And at what level? My next grinder is going to be a Ceado single dose. Should I be looking at the Zero?
I love my niche. Much much better than the previous vario-w. People say it’s as good as machines costing twice as much.

The Weber is one of several very high dollar grinders. Probably excellent but cost 3-4x what the Niche Costs

I accidentally stumbled onto this thread and now I'm looking at my poor Hario grinder like this:

The Niche looks killer and James Hoffman's YouTube channel is amazing (and a massive rabbit hole)!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom