Espresso on Game Night (1 Viewer)

I'll give it a try!
Mess around with different types of shots if you’re not thrilled with the initial result. I actually prefer longer shots when I’m making iced Americanos. This was initially spurred on by laziness since I can just pull the shot directly into the glass/mug and let it run out, but I also found I prefer the taste. Along the same lines, experiment with the shot:water (and even ice) ratio.

Last edited:
An afternoon cappuccino, because who needs to sleep at night?
20210922_142916.jpg

What is the world coming to when @CraigT78 abandons the "Your Beer of Choice" thread and is about to start a "Your Cappuccino of Choice" thread?
I should also post a picture of my bankroll graph. Funny enough it's gone in the opposite direction of when I was drinking :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I should also post a picture of my bankroll graph. Funny enough it's gone in the opposite direction of when I was drinking :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

So....you don't run in god-mode when you drink cappuccino?

This whole thread is ripe for urology jokes and I have been restraining myself. Uncharacteristically, I might add.

Back on topic, I am a fan of red eye coffee. Espresso spiked regular coffee. That is all.

This whole thread is ripe for urology jokes and I have been restraining myself. Uncharacteristically, I might add.
If you start posting pictures in this thread, I'm blocking you.

Back on topic, I am a fan of red eye coffee. Espresso spiked regular coffee. That is all.
That sounds good, and I'm in need of more caffeine today.

Complete noob to the espresso game but really interested in learning. Thinking about getting a setup here soon with a budget of about $2500 for a machine and grinder. I need both looks and function since my wife will have to look at it everyday.

Looks wise, I am absolutely in love with the Ascaso Steel Duo. Beside the LM Linea Mini, this in my opinion is on of the best looking machines. There’s not a ton of reviews out there, so a lot is unknown. ($1625)
B3FD6B9D-FC09-4A57-B141-D7CAB4EEB2DC.jpeg

The other machine that is comparable in price is the Rocket Appartamento Nera. Several good reviews out, but not nearly as handsome to me. ($1800)
E1AD4265-0B4C-44A1-8085-47E215407129.jpeg

The grinder I’m leaning towards is the Eureka Mignon Specialita that is pictured next to the Ascaso. ($699)

Help me decide!

Oh wow, that is a nice setup! When my players ask for espresso drinks, this is all I have to offer...
moka-pot2.jpg
That is one of the best moka pots, and I assure you 8 of 9 players couldn't tell the difference. I have a Yoder (instead of a fancy espresso) but I could do just as well with a drum and wood on a brisket.

Bumping this thread. I've had a Rancilio Silvia for years, paired with a Baratza Vario grinder. I reached the practical limitations of the single boiler Silvia early on, but soldiered on with it, as it did the job. I've recently decided to up the game with a heat-exchange Rocket Mozzafiato. But I've been quietly lusting after the La Marzocco Linea Mini for years--a dual boiler sexy beast that is as close to a commercial pro unit as one can come. Anyway, short story long: down the rabbit hole I've gone and I'm now contemplating the La Marzocco. It's a grail machine. Anyone have one or have any opinions? (Including as to whether I've lost my mind.)

Linea.jpg

Last edited:
small digression..

Barratza Vario-W came to grinding halt after just 2 years. ( I think it was my fault using frozen beans which I no longer do)

Sent it back in the box $119 later, came back like new.

Barratza company highly recommended.

Had a Barratza Vario as well which finally bit the dust after around 5yrs, had to fix it myself a few times,
Had trouble also with grind controls not holding positions, got a bunch of spares sitting around now.
Anyone thinking of a hand grinder, i can vouch for this one....perfect grind every time
1645835872438.jpeg

small digression..

Barratza Vario-W came to grinding halt after just 2 years. ( I think it was my fault using frozen beans which I no longer do)

Sent it back in the box $119 later, came back like new.

Barratza company highly recommended.
Their customer service is one of the primary reasons I picked up a Baratza (Encore). I was hand-milling my coffee previous to this and when I started working from home I realized I needed something faster.

I was kicking myself for not picking up a machine way earlier.

88F212F3-452E-4315-B1E1-7800D6FB8538_1_102_a.jpeg

I think I may have posted this before, but here's my relatively new Decent Espresso machine with Niche grinder. Pardon the mess. Espresso is messy. It' like working with brown powdered sugar.

I got the Decent because it's cool (android tablet control), and also because it's supposed to be pretty easily user repairable. I have had other machines over the last 10+ years and when the break down (which they will all eventually do), they are difficult or impossible (and very expensive) to get fixed. My La Spaziale weighed 70ish lbs. Not an easy thing to ship for repairs.

View attachment 870086

I think I may have posted this before, but here's my relatively new Decent Espresso machine with Niche grinder. Pardon the mess. Espresso is messy. It' like working with brown powdered sugar.

I got the Decent because it's cool (android tablet control), and also because it's supposed to be pretty easily user repairable. I have had other machines over the last 10+ years and when the break down (which they will all eventually do), they are difficult or impossible (and very expensive) to get fixed. My La Spaziale weighed 70ish lbs. Not an easy thing to ship for repairs.
Leonard, how do you like the Niche Zero? I'm extremely tempted to upgrade from a Baratza Vario. Seems like it is in stock, which is rare.

I was looking at the Decent--fascinating machine and tech. But I opted to keep it old-school and just pulled the trigger on a LM Linea Mini. (I agree with your assessment on repair considerations, but I live in NYC and there are a ton of La Marzocco authorized servicers, and parts are plentiful, since it uses commercial parts.) It came with a two year in-home warranty for service, and they agreed to include the no-burn steam wand (a stupidly expensive option that really should come standard at this price point) and some other expensive swag for free, so I pulled the trigger. Now, the several week wait for it to arrive.

Last edited:
Since I just bought a new machine (see above), I decided to sell my trusty Rancilio Silvia, which I've had since 2008. I maintained it scrupulously, and other than a little minor cosmetic wear on the plasticky "chrome" around the group head, it looks and works great. Currently, the Silvia sells new for $850, but comes with some updated features. I checked eBay, and my older model routinely sells in used condition for $350-425. So I listed it on craigslist at $400, along with some extra goodies like a Rattleware tamper, figuring I'd sell it for $300 or so, and it sold at ask in a day! And get this: I paid $535 out-the-door for it in 2008. So it cost me less than $10/year to own it. o_O

Used cars aren't the only pre-owned products getting Covid bumps in pricing.

Leonard, how do you like the Niche Zero? I'm extremely tempted to upgrade from a Baratza Vario. Seems like it is in stock, which is rare.
I like the Niche very much. My previous grinder was a Vario-W which was fine but much less consistent with the grind than the Niche. It is relatively quiet and has worked flawlessly since I bought it in (checks email) November 2018. As a result my shots are more consistently very good to excellent.

I know there are better grinders out there but for the money, I don't think there's anything better. (note how authoritative I sound having tried a total of two different espresso grinders)

I'm happy anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom